Jim Davis

Default taco help wanted

Can anyone give me any advice on doing taco shells? I would love to
have my own at home but trying to make the shells from the basic
tortilla it always curls up or sticks together, etc to prevent putting
in the filling. Suggestions?
Ernie

"Jim Davis" > wrote in message
> Can anyone give me any advice on doing taco shells? I would love to
> have my own at home but trying to make the shells from the basic
> tortilla it always curls up or sticks together, etc to prevent putting
> in the filling. Suggestions?

You would probably need some sort of form to hold them in shape
while deep frying. I just make soft taco shells.
Ernie

Art Sackett

Jim Davis > wrote:
> Can anyone give me any advice on doing taco shells? I would love to
> have my own at home but trying to make the shells from the basic
> tortilla it always curls up or sticks together, etc to prevent putting
> in the filling. Suggestions?

I, perhaps out of ignorance, just hold the tortilla with tongs, cooking
first one half of the tortilla, then the other, in about 3/4" of oil in
a small skillet. It's tedious if you have to cook many, but it works
just fine.

It's easier to avoid a tight crease if you press the folded end against
the edge of the skillet and hold the tortilla so the fold is more of a U
than a V.

Something else you might consider:

http://goodkitchen.blogharbor.com/Ba...are/130892.htm

--
Art Sackett,
Patron Saint of Drunken Fornication
SonoranDude

"Jim Davis" > wrote in message
> Can anyone give me any advice on doing taco shells? I would love to
> have my own at home but trying to make the shells from the basic
> tortilla it always curls up or sticks together, etc to prevent putting
> in the filling. Suggestions?

Ever try frying the filling in the tortilla? I posted a simple recipe using
canned roast beef and some partially mashed potatoes with garlic and chili
powder a year or so ago.
I just wilt the tortillas pan frying in hot oil on both sides and stack them
to drain.
Once I do a dozen or so I will take a spoon of taco filling and some cheese
and fold them into shape and fry on one side till brown and flip over on the
other side.

Great munchie food and kids love them. Stack the fried tacos so the oil can
drain out of the shell. Very crispy and delicious. Sort of like how Jack in
the Box does a taco but homemade.

You can also use left over beef or pork BBQ to make these. The canned roast
beef is packed in a gravy that helps mix in the potato and spices and not
too bad when you need the convienience.

Ernie

"Art Sackett" > wrote in message
> It's easier to avoid a tight crease if you press the folded end against
> the edge of the skillet and hold the tortilla so the fold is more of a U
> than a V.
>
> Something else you might consider:
>
> http://goodkitchen.blogharbor.com/Ba...are/130892.htm
> Art Sackett,

That's a great little tool!
Ernie

Julie Bove

"Jim Davis" > wrote in message
> Can anyone give me any advice on doing taco shells? I would love to
> have my own at home but trying to make the shells from the basic
> tortilla it always curls up or sticks together, etc to prevent putting
> in the filling. Suggestions?

You can buy a metal form that holds the tortilla in the taco shape while it
is deep fried. Not sure where you can buy it though. But I've seen it used
at restaurants.

--
See my webpage:

Art Sackett

Julie Bove > wrote:

> You can buy a metal form that holds the tortilla in the taco shape while it
> is deep fried. Not sure where you can buy it though. But I've seen it used
> at restaurants.

Here's one:

http://www.bigtray.com/productdetails.asp!sku.PROFT6R,catid.11110.html

I don't know how well that one might work -- those I've seen in use
have been intended for pre-made tacos with the meat already in them,
frozen and boxed.

If I were going for a crispy, fast-food/grocery store style shell, I'd
use the baking mold. Just spritz a little water on the tortillas and
bake. Crispy, crunchy, not worth a damn shells just like the stores and
fast food joints use. Want taco meat in your lap? Use those.

--
Art Sackett,
Patron Saint of Drunken Fornication
Art Sackett

Oops... having said all that, I looked a little closer:

http://www.bigtray.com/productdetails.asp!sku.PRO6,catid.11110.html
http://www.bigtray.com/productdetails.asp!sku.PRO8,catid.11110.html

I guess it'd be worth the effort if the fryer's already filled and hot
for something else, or you're going to need a large quantity of shells
right away to justify the bother.