Paul Covey

Default Need Bean Side Dish ideas

I'm cooking my enchis with Linda Gonzalez's Red Rice, but would like
something different for the second side than the usual refried beans
that everyone seems to make. I'd love ideas for recipes/ideas for
different bean side dishes from anyone, but especially from any of the
old regulars who might still check the ng. By the way, I was only an
occasional contributer, but a constant lurker, and it's sad to see all
the junk in here and all the wonderful ideas from the old regulars gone.
Was away for awhile, and it had completely changed when I got back.
Thanks.
Paul Covey

After being frustrated with no ideas in response to my question and the
gwak discussion, I finally remembered that I could search Google NGs
(i'm not really good at all this) and did and found wonderful stuff from
the old regulars like Linda, Wayne, Karen, David, Rich, Jack, Irma, Vic
- no I won't finish that, and others. I highly recommend using this
method for great info - I'd forgotten I could do it.

And among my old bookmarks, many of which were dead, did find the
following which had interesting recipes, especially from Karen Hursh Graber.
http://www.mexconnect.com/mex_/recipes/foodindex.html

Paul Covey wrote:

> I'm cooking my enchis with Linda Gonzalez's Red Rice, but would like
> something different for the second side than the usual refried beans
> that everyone seems to make. I'd love ideas for recipes/ideas for
> different bean side dishes from anyone, but especially from any of the
> old regulars who might still check the ng. By the way, I was only an
> occasional contributer, but a constant lurker, and it's sad to see all
> the junk in here and all the wonderful ideas from the old regulars gone.
> Was away for awhile, and it had completely changed when I got back.
> Thanks.

Rhonda

Paul I searched the web as well and found this one. I am going to try
it today. I will let you know how it turns out.

Spicy Beans and Rice

1 1/2 cups water
1/2 cup of uncooked brown rice
2 (15 oz) cans black beans, undrained
2 fresh jalopeno peppers, seeded and chopped
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon chilli powder
black pepper to taste
1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
2 fresh green onions chopped
1/2 can sliced black olives

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In saucepan bring water to boil. Add rice
and stir. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 40 minutes. Pour beans
into 2 quart caserole. Sprinkle with jalopenos, cumin, chilli powder
and black pepper. Bake 30 minutes. Then sprinkle cheese, green onlions
and olives over top and bake for 5 to 10 mintes more. Serve over
rice

Rhonda

The spicy bean dish was very good. It is something that I will make
again.

Rhonda

Side dish Cheryl[_3_] General Cooking 5 04-09-2011 10:07 AM
Eggplant Parmesan side dish ideas? Anthony Ferrante[_2_] General Cooking 14 30-07-2008 05:20 AM
Looking for a new side dish? jmcquown[_2_] General Cooking 0 09-04-2008 12:47 PM
Bbq side dish [email protected] Barbecue 6 25-02-2006 04:27 PM
Side dish ideas for stuffed peppers tsr3 General Cooking 4 18-01-2006 03:52 PM