krusty kritter

Default Huevos rancheros Yucatecan style?

In Yucatan, huevos rancheros are served on a corn tortilla covered with refried
black beans, salsa, fried eggs, with bits of ham and green peas traditionally
added to the mix...

But I think it's called something else, not "huevos rancheros"...

Does anybody know the Yucatecan name and any interesting variations on the
recipe?

# * 0 * #
^

Ernie

I ordered huevos rancheros for breakfast in Mexico City and when it came the
egg was nearly raw. Yeccch!
Ernie

"krusty kritter" > wrote in message
> In Yucatan, huevos rancheros are served on a corn tortilla covered with

refried
> black beans, salsa, fried eggs, with bits of ham and green peas

traditionally
> added to the mix...
>
> But I think it's called something else, not "huevos rancheros"...
>
> Does anybody know the Yucatecan name and any interesting variations on the
> recipe?
>

> # * 0 * #
> ^

Ernie

I ordered huevos rancheros for breakfast in Mexico City and when it came the
egg was nearly raw. Yeccch!
Ernie

"krusty kritter" > wrote in message
> In Yucatan, huevos rancheros are served on a corn tortilla covered with

refried
> black beans, salsa, fried eggs, with bits of ham and green peas

traditionally
> added to the mix...
>
> But I think it's called something else, not "huevos rancheros"...
>
> Does anybody know the Yucatecan name and any interesting variations on the
> recipe?
>

> # * 0 * #
> ^

Ernie

"krusty kritter" > wrote in message
> What could I do with a raw egg which I'd assumed was hard-boiled and had

saved
> to eat for lunch at a rest stop on the tour? I tossed it in the nearest

trash
> can...
> # * 0 * #

When I was first married my wife asked me what I wanted for lunch and I said
fried egg sandwich.
She said how do you make an fried egg sandwich?
I said bread , Mayo, some onion and lettuce and a fried egg.
My instructions were no explicit enough.
The first bite and I had egg yolk running down my chin

Ernie

Ernie

"krusty kritter" > wrote in message
> What could I do with a raw egg which I'd assumed was hard-boiled and had

saved
> to eat for lunch at a rest stop on the tour? I tossed it in the nearest

trash
> can...
> # * 0 * #

When I was first married my wife asked me what I wanted for lunch and I said
fried egg sandwich.
She said how do you make an fried egg sandwich?
I said bread , Mayo, some onion and lettuce and a fried egg.
My instructions were no explicit enough.
The first bite and I had egg yolk running down my chin

Ernie

Ernie

"krusty kritter" > wrote
> I was raised on bacon and eggs over easy for breakfast, and I always liked

> dip my toast in the egg yolk. I thought that tasted great, until one time

I ran
> out of bread to make toast with and had to eat my over easy egg without

the
> toast---or the butter than I always put on the toast. That's when I

learned
> that what I really liked was the taste of the butter...
> # * 0 * #

I like my eggs over easy except when they are in a sandwich. The yolk has
to be
runny when having eggs and pancakes or toast. I like good pancakes and have
decided Krustease Buttermilk Pancake Mix is easier and better than trying to
make
them from scratch. We were up in the mountains trout fishing and I made
some on
my old Coleman stove. They were so light and fluffy they almost floated
off.
One guy wanted to know my secret and got mad because he thought I was lying
when I said Krustease. Of course it was the high elevation that did it.
(8000 feet).
Ernie

Ernie

"krusty kritter" > wrote
> I was raised on bacon and eggs over easy for breakfast, and I always liked

> dip my toast in the egg yolk. I thought that tasted great, until one time

I ran
> out of bread to make toast with and had to eat my over easy egg without

the
> toast---or the butter than I always put on the toast. That's when I

learned
> that what I really liked was the taste of the butter...
> # * 0 * #

I like my eggs over easy except when they are in a sandwich. The yolk has
to be
runny when having eggs and pancakes or toast. I like good pancakes and have
decided Krustease Buttermilk Pancake Mix is easier and better than trying to
make
them from scratch. We were up in the mountains trout fishing and I made
some on
my old Coleman stove. They were so light and fluffy they almost floated
off.
One guy wanted to know my secret and got mad because he thought I was lying
when I said Krustease. Of course it was the high elevation that did it.
(8000 feet).
Ernie

krusty kritter

>From: Jack B

>Could it be Motul-style eggs as described at:

http://www.yucatantoday.com/culture/...cancuisine.htm

Thanks, Jack. I couldn't remember the name of that egg dish I ate in Yucatan,
but, from websearching "huevos motulenos", I discovered that I haven't yet
experienced them with the fiery xnipec, or "dog-snout salsa" that one page
mentioned...

It's made with habanero chiles, claimed to be 50 times hotter than jalapenos.
Xnipec dressing is made by roasting and grinding the chili, and adding chopped
onions and lemon juice.

It's supposed to be so hot it makes your nose run and sets your tongue on
fire...

# * 0 * #
^

krusty kritter

>From: Jack B

>Could it be Motul-style eggs as described at:

http://www.yucatantoday.com/culture/...cancuisine.htm

Thanks, Jack. I couldn't remember the name of that egg dish I ate in Yucatan,
but, from websearching "huevos motulenos", I discovered that I haven't yet
experienced them with the fiery xnipec, or "dog-snout salsa" that one page
mentioned...

It's made with habanero chiles, claimed to be 50 times hotter than jalapenos.
Xnipec dressing is made by roasting and grinding the chili, and adding chopped
onions and lemon juice.

It's supposed to be so hot it makes your nose run and sets your tongue on
fire...

# * 0 * #
^

Jack B

In article >,
cal (krusty kritter) wrote:

> >From: Jack B

> >Could it be Motul-style eggs as described at:

http://www.yucatantoday.com/culture/...cancuisine.htm

> Thanks, Jack. I couldn't remember the name of that egg dish I ate in Yucatan,
> but, from websearching "huevos motulenos", I discovered that I haven't yet
> experienced them with the fiery xnipec, or "dog-snout salsa" that one page
> mentioned...

xnipec... sounds like something (someone?) from a Larry Niven novel, eh?

Habaneros, lime/citrus, onion, maybe some tomato, cilantro, lovely but
possibly hard on those who are unprepared.

> It's made with habanero chiles, claimed to be 50 times hotter than jalapenos.
> Xnipec dressing is made by roasting and grinding the chili, and adding chopped
> onions and lemon juice.
>
> It's supposed to be so hot it makes your nose run and sets your tongue on
> fire...

There was this guy who I worked with a few years ago. He sort of liked
extreme heat in food, but would show no outward signs of distress except
the bald spot on the top-back of his head would sweat profusely.

Be well.

--
Jack
Jack B

In article >,
cal (krusty kritter) wrote:

> >From: Jack B

> >Could it be Motul-style eggs as described at:

http://www.yucatantoday.com/culture/...cancuisine.htm

> Thanks, Jack. I couldn't remember the name of that egg dish I ate in Yucatan,
> but, from websearching "huevos motulenos", I discovered that I haven't yet
> experienced them with the fiery xnipec, or "dog-snout salsa" that one page
> mentioned...

xnipec... sounds like something (someone?) from a Larry Niven novel, eh?

Habaneros, lime/citrus, onion, maybe some tomato, cilantro, lovely but
possibly hard on those who are unprepared.

> It's made with habanero chiles, claimed to be 50 times hotter than jalapenos.
> Xnipec dressing is made by roasting and grinding the chili, and adding chopped
> onions and lemon juice.
>
> It's supposed to be so hot it makes your nose run and sets your tongue on
> fire...

There was this guy who I worked with a few years ago. He sort of liked
extreme heat in food, but would show no outward signs of distress except
the bald spot on the top-back of his head would sweat profusely.

Be well.

--
Jack

Jack B

In article >,
cal (krusty kritter) wrote:

> >From: Jack B

> >xnipec... sounds like something (someone?) from a Larry Niven novel, eh?

> Or maybe Silverberg. He based at least two SF novels on his studies of
> MesoAmerican culture. In one, his Aztecs didn't know they were aboard a
> generation spaceship enroute to another star,

I should read those. I'm lacking in Silverberg, though. What titles are
those, please?

> in the other one a parallel
> universe existed in which Columbus never discovered America, the Turks
> dominated Europe because the bubonic plague killed four times as many
> Europeans
> as the plague in our universe killed, and the Aztecs and Incas continued to
> rule North and South America in the 20th century...

Sounds very "Dick" (entertaining writer, but sometimes hard going).

[I've enjoyed Niven because of his direct style, good easy read before
bedtime. Not too happy with his collaborations, Pournelle, Zelazney...]

Here's something I like (from The Great Chile Book, Mark Miller):

Tamarind Chipotle Sauce

14 ounce block of tamarind paste
2 cups water
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
2 cloves garlic, roasted and peeled
2 chipotle chiles in adobo
juice of 1 lime

Add tamarind to water and heat gently, stirring until smooth. Place in
blender and puree together with sugar, garlic, chipotles, and adobo
sauce. Then add the lime juice and blend. Serve slightly warmed.

Nice with pork, seafood. Sometimes I use more garlic and another
chipotle or two.

--
Jack
Jack B

In article >,
cal (krusty kritter) wrote:

> >From: Jack B

> >xnipec... sounds like something (someone?) from a Larry Niven novel, eh?

> Or maybe Silverberg. He based at least two SF novels on his studies of
> MesoAmerican culture. In one, his Aztecs didn't know they were aboard a
> generation spaceship enroute to another star,

I should read those. I'm lacking in Silverberg, though. What titles are
those, please?

> in the other one a parallel
> universe existed in which Columbus never discovered America, the Turks
> dominated Europe because the bubonic plague killed four times as many
> Europeans
> as the plague in our universe killed, and the Aztecs and Incas continued to
> rule North and South America in the 20th century...

Sounds very "Dick" (entertaining writer, but sometimes hard going).

[I've enjoyed Niven because of his direct style, good easy read before
bedtime. Not too happy with his collaborations, Pournelle, Zelazney...]

Here's something I like (from The Great Chile Book, Mark Miller):

Tamarind Chipotle Sauce

14 ounce block of tamarind paste
2 cups water
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
2 cloves garlic, roasted and peeled
2 chipotle chiles in adobo
juice of 1 lime

Add tamarind to water and heat gently, stirring until smooth. Place in
blender and puree together with sugar, garlic, chipotles, and adobo
sauce. Then add the lime juice and blend. Serve slightly warmed.

Nice with pork, seafood. Sometimes I use more garlic and another
chipotle or two.

--
Jack
Jack B

In article >,
cal (krusty kritter) wrote:

> >From: Jack B

> >xnipec... sounds like something (someone?) from a Larry Niven novel, eh?

> Or maybe Silverberg. He based at least two SF novels on his studies of
> MesoAmerican culture. In one, his Aztecs didn't know they were aboard a
> generation spaceship enroute to another star,

I should read those. I'm lacking in Silverberg, though. What titles are
those, please?

> in the other one a parallel
> universe existed in which Columbus never discovered America, the Turks
> dominated Europe because the bubonic plague killed four times as many
> Europeans
> as the plague in our universe killed, and the Aztecs and Incas continued to
> rule North and South America in the 20th century...

Sounds very "Dick" (entertaining writer, but sometimes hard going).

[I've enjoyed Niven because of his direct style, good easy read before
bedtime. Not too happy with his collaborations, Pournelle, Zelazney...]

Here's something I like (from The Great Chile Book, Mark Miller):

Tamarind Chipotle Sauce

14 ounce block of tamarind paste
2 cups water
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
2 cloves garlic, roasted and peeled
2 chipotle chiles in adobo
juice of 1 lime

Add tamarind to water and heat gently, stirring until smooth. Place in
blender and puree together with sugar, garlic, chipotles, and adobo
sauce. Then add the lime juice and blend. Serve slightly warmed.

Nice with pork, seafood. Sometimes I use more garlic and another
chipotle or two.

--
Jack

krusty kritter

>From: Jack B

>I should read those. I'm lacking in Silverberg, though. What titles are those,

please?

I was wrong about Silverberg writing two novels about Aztecs. He wrote "The
Gate of Worlds", about a Turkish-dominated Europe in a parallel universe where
the Aztecs and Incas were never conquered by Europeans. His central character
leaves an impoverished England and goes to Mexico, seeking his fortune...

The other novel I was thinking of was Harry Harrison's "Captive Universe", in
which an Aztec civilization happily lives in a giant spaceship, ignorant of
advanced technology. Of course, there's an independant-minded hero who doesn't
fit into the prescribed mold...

>Sounds very "Dick" (entertaining writer, but sometimes hard going).

Dick was once rumored to have had a drug-induced paranoia in which he thought
his cat was a CIA agent spying on him...

I was fanatic about Robert A. Heinlein from 1950 to 1980, but I couldn't spend
all my time reading Heinlein's book over and over again. So I started reading
Silverberg for some different ideas...

Dick and Silverberg seemed to have often written stories about dystopias, the
worst of all possible worlds, instead of writing wonderful visions of future
utopias where the characters have no reason whatever to contemplate
self-immolation...

Philip K. Dick wrote "The Man in the High Castle", a parallel universe where
the Axis powers won WW2, and
central characters consult the I-Ching on a daily basis to
guide their personal interactions...

I read a collection of similar parallel universe short stories by various
authors which was called "Hitler Victorious", and found it to be an interesting
book. It seems that some of the high-ranking Nazis, including Himmler, shared
some weird mystical beliefs about Norse gods, Aryanism and even ancient Tibetan
Buddhism, all based upon pre-war German archaeological explorations. They built
themselves an "S.S. academy" in a European castle
to study all their "Ultima Thule" mysticism...

>[I've enjoyed Niven because of his direct style, good easy read before

bedtime. Not too happy with his collaborations, Pournelle, Zelazney...]

Pournelle was supposed to have been a protege and possible successor of Robert
A. Heinlein in the late 1970's...

I read "The Mote in God's Eye", and "Footfall", but never got much into Niven
by himself...

I recently picked up a copy of John Varley's "Steel Beach" and enjoyed it. I
had never read any Varley before, and found that novel to be very
Heinleinesque. Varley dedicated the book to Heinlein...

# * 0 * #
^

krusty kritter