Windcat

Default Indian Bitterroot?

I bought a green thing that looked like a cucumber with spikes.
I figured anything that ugly must taste great.
Nobody in the produce section knew what Mexicans do with them
but thought they stuffed them somehow.
Searching on the internet failed to turn up anything
that looked/sounded like this thing.

We cleaned out the seeds and baked it like squash. Yes it
was b-i-t-t-e-r -- too bitter for us to eat.
(Do they have witches in Mexico? Maybe I should have added some
bat wings and eye of newt and steeped it.)

Any idea what it might have been and what it is used for?
Jeff Russell

Sounds like bitter melon, just a guess.

"Windcat" > wrote in message
. com...
> I bought a green thing that looked like a cucumber with spikes.
> I figured anything that ugly must taste great.
> Nobody in the produce section knew what Mexicans do with them
> but thought they stuffed them somehow.
> Searching on the internet failed to turn up anything
> that looked/sounded like this thing.
>
> We cleaned out the seeds and baked it like squash. Yes it
> was b-i-t-t-e-r -- too bitter for us to eat.
> (Do they have witches in Mexico? Maybe I should have added some
> bat wings and eye of newt and steeped it.)
>
> Any idea what it might have been and what it is used for?

Windcat

krusty kritter wrote:

> There is a vine that produces *round, green fruit* with spikes. It's called
> "chilicothe", so it was definitely known by the MesoAmericans, as well as by
> the California coastal tribes...
>
> It is also called "wild cucumber", but you wouldn't want to use it in a salad.
> Native Americans used it medicinally, externally for treating cuts, and
> internally for a laxative...

Nope. Googled that and found a picture. Not the same, (thank
goodness).
John Droge

"krusty kritter" > wrote in message

> It has half a dozen large seeds that are shaped like beans. The seeds are

green
> until they mature and dry out, then they are mahogany-colored...
>
> We used to collect the seeds when I was a kid. I dunno why, kids just

collect
> everything, especially if it's free...
>

> # * 0 * #
> ^

krusty
Maybe it's the color. When I was a kid in New York we used to collect Horse
Chestnut Nuts. They were a beautiful shiny mahogany when they were first
opened. Faded fast as they dried, even quicker if ya had a bag full of them
and they got moldy.
Peace
John

Peter Dy

What do you mean by "Indian?" If you are referring to India in Asia, it't
probably bitter melon:

http://www.evergreenseeds.com/evergr...gourinlon.html

Peter

"Windcat" > wrote in message
. com...
>I bought a green thing that looked like a cucumber with spikes.
> I figured anything that ugly must taste great.
> Nobody in the produce section knew what Mexicans do with them
> but thought they stuffed them somehow.
> Searching on the internet failed to turn up anything
> that looked/sounded like this thing.
>
> We cleaned out the seeds and baked it like squash. Yes it
> was b-i-t-t-e-r -- too bitter for us to eat.
> (Do they have witches in Mexico? Maybe I should have added some
> bat wings and eye of newt and steeped it.)
>
> Any idea what it might have been and what it is used for?

Peter Dy

What do you mean by "Indian?" If you are referring to India in Asia, it't
probably bitter melon:

http://www.evergreenseeds.com/evergr...gourinlon.html

Peter

"Windcat" > wrote in message
. com...
>I bought a green thing that looked like a cucumber with spikes.
> I figured anything that ugly must taste great.
> Nobody in the produce section knew what Mexicans do with them
> but thought they stuffed them somehow.
> Searching on the internet failed to turn up anything
> that looked/sounded like this thing.
>
> We cleaned out the seeds and baked it like squash. Yes it
> was b-i-t-t-e-r -- too bitter for us to eat.
> (Do they have witches in Mexico? Maybe I should have added some
> bat wings and eye of newt and steeped it.)
>
> Any idea what it might have been and what it is used for?

Windcat

Peter Dy wrote:
> What do you mean by "Indian?" If you are referring to India in Asia, it't
> probably bitter melon:

That's it! I wonder why it was in a store focused on the Latino market.
(Now, on to research what the India Indians do with the things).
Windcat

Peter Dy wrote:
> What do you mean by "Indian?" If you are referring to India in Asia, it't
> probably bitter melon:

That's it! I wonder why it was in a store focused on the Latino market.
(Now, on to research what the India Indians do with the things).
Peter Dy

"Windcat" > wrote in message
om...
> Peter Dy wrote:
>> What do you mean by "Indian?" If you are referring to India in Asia,
>> it't probably bitter melon:

> That's it! I wonder why it was in a store focused on the Latino market.
> (Now, on to research what the India Indians do with the things).

I think they mostly cook it in a highly-spiced liquid (so, a curry). I have
a Bengalese recipe for it where you deep-fry slices of it; I could post it
if you want.

Of course, Eastern and SE Asians also use bitter melon (a less bumpy
variety) and in all sorts of ways. I stir-fry it with chicken and a black
bean sauce, stuff it with a pork mixture and steam, cook it with pork slices
in Thai curries, and cook it with onions, garlic, tomatoes, ground pork,
shrimp and eggs in a great Filipino version.

You can lessen the bitterness, btw, by mixing the bitter melon with salt
(after cutting open and removing the seeds), letting it stand for about 15
minutes, and then rinsing the salt off. I don't do that though.

Peter

Peter Dy

"Windcat" > wrote in message
om...
> Peter Dy wrote:
>> What do you mean by "Indian?" If you are referring to India in Asia,
>> it't probably bitter melon:

> That's it! I wonder why it was in a store focused on the Latino market.
> (Now, on to research what the India Indians do with the things).

I think they mostly cook it in a highly-spiced liquid (so, a curry). I have
a Bengalese recipe for it where you deep-fry slices of it; I could post it
if you want.

Of course, Eastern and SE Asians also use bitter melon (a less bumpy
variety) and in all sorts of ways. I stir-fry it with chicken and a black
bean sauce, stuff it with a pork mixture and steam, cook it with pork slices
in Thai curries, and cook it with onions, garlic, tomatoes, ground pork,
shrimp and eggs in a great Filipino version.

You can lessen the bitterness, btw, by mixing the bitter melon with salt
(after cutting open and removing the seeds), letting it stand for about 15
minutes, and then rinsing the salt off. I don't do that though.

Peter

Windcat

Peter Dy wrote:

I have
> a Bengalese recipe for it where you deep-fry slices of it; I could post it
> if you want.

No thanks.
One bite of the thing was enough to
satisfy my curiosity!
Terry

"John Droge" > wrote in message
ink.net...

> "krusty kritter" > wrote in message
> >
> > It has half a dozen large seeds that are shaped like beans. The seeds

are
> green
> > until they mature and dry out, then they are mahogany-colored...
> >
> > We used to collect the seeds when I was a kid. I dunno why, kids just

> collect
> > everything, especially if it's free...
> >

> > # * 0 * #
> > ^

> krusty
> Maybe it's the color. When I was a kid in New York we used to collect

Horse
> Chestnut Nuts. They were a beautiful shiny mahogany when they were first
> opened. Faded fast as they dried, even quicker if ya had a bag full of

them
> and they got moldy.
> Peace
> John

When I was a kid we used to hollow out a chestnut to make a fly cage using
stickpins as bars. I guess it kept us busy.

Gramps

Terry

ink.net...