Posted to alt.food.fast-food,alt.stupidity,alt.food.mexican-cooking

Default A Couple Is Suing Taco Bell for Overcharging Them $2.18 for Chalupas - Cool lawsuit, guys.

"Ubiquitous" > wrote in message
> [...]
> crucial $2.18. They have filed a lawsuit against both Taco Bell and Yum!
> Brands, its parent company. (And here's where it's worth noting that it
> costs
> $250--the equivalent of roughly forty-one $6.06 Chalupa Cravings Boxes--to
> file a civil lawsuit in a New Jersey state Superior Court.)
>
> "You can't tell someone you are going to charge them $5 in big bold print
> and
> then take it away with a fine print disclaimer," their attorney, Douglas
> Schwartz, said. "You can't do that. It's against the law."
>
> The lawsuit alleges that Taco Bell has violated the state's Consumer Fraud
> Statute, which requires disclaimers to be printed onscreen "in a type size
> and style that is clear and conspicuous relative to the other type sizes
> and
> styles" used in the rest of the advertisement. In the :30 second
> commercial
> that the Estrellas saw, one called "Librarian," the "prices may vary"
> disclaimer was 1/16 the size of the text that announced the arrival of the
> $5
> Chalupa Cravings Box. The lawsuit also says that the disclaimer was only
> onscreen for three seconds.
>
> "Defendants knew or should have known that the 'Librarian' television
> advertising and other similar advertising would be viewed by members of
> the
> public including the plaintiffs and/or other prospective purchasers," the
> lawsuit states, before adding "Defendants committed conduct likely to
> deceive
> plaintiffs by engaging in acts and/or practices as aforesaid with the
> intent
> to induce plaintiffs and other consumers to purchase its cravings boxes."
>
> "It's a classic bait and switch," Schwartz told NJ.com. "It's consumer
> fraud
> being perpetrated upon not only citizens of New Jersey, but all over the
> country. Taco Bell has reaped huge profits from their false, misleading
> and
> deceptive advertising."
>
> The Bridgewater Courier News reports that, although the lawsuit was
> initially
> filed in Superior Court in Middlesex County, Taco Bell successfully had it
> transferred to federal court, because neither the Taco Bell nor the Yum!
> Brands headquarters are in New Jersey, and because there is the potential
> for
> punitive damages of more than $75,000.
>
> "Taco Bell and its franchisees are proud to provide millions of guests
> with
> delicious, affordable food every day," the company told VICE in a
> statement.
> "Our advertisements are truthful and accurate, and we will defend this
> case
> vigorously."
>
> Regardless of the outcome, it's gonna cost _somebody_ more than 2 bucks

And yet there are isiots in this newsgroup who say their won't be lawsuits
for banning drive-throughs.

Posted to alt.food.fast-food,alt.stupidity,alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Wed, 23 Oct 2019 14:29:11 -0500, "Jerry Sauk"
> [...]

>> filed in Superior Court in Middlesex County, Taco Bell successfully had it
>> transferred to federal court, because neither the Taco Bell nor the Yum!
>> Brands headquarters are in New Jersey, and because there is the potential
>> for
>> punitive damages of more than $75,000.
>>
>> "Taco Bell and its franchisees are proud to provide millions of guests
>> with
>> delicious, affordable food every day," the company told VICE in a
>> statement.
>> "Our advertisements are truthful and accurate, and we will defend this
>> case
>> vigorously."
>>
>> Regardless of the outcome, it's gonna cost _somebody_ more than 2 bucks
>> and a
>> handful of change.

>And yet there are isiots in this newsgroup who say their won't be lawsuits

There won't be.

But fear not, Chick-fil-A fiends, the zoning changes currently in
effect only affect new construction. Thus far, cities in California,
Missouri and New Jersey have implemented similar bans.
https://www.today.com/food/cities-ba...health-t164732

So go ahead and show us ONE lawsuit. We'll wait, Jenny.

[Theme from "Jeopardy" playing]

Taco Bell Bruce[_28_] General Cooking 12 06-12-2018 08:14 PM
Taco Bell Delivery Japhy Ryder General Cooking 0 07-08-2015 01:17 AM
Just tried the Taco Bell Doritos Loco Taco ImStillMags General Cooking 39 02-05-2012 04:24 AM
Taco Bell Gets Last Word In Shakedown Lawsuit Mark Thorson General Cooking 14 03-06-2011 05:25 PM
taco bell! [email protected] Mexican Cooking 3 27-08-2006 06:24 PM