Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.mexican-cooking,alt.food.recipes

Default Egg Tostada

On 6/10/2013 1:20 PM, casa bona wrote:
> On 6/10/2013 1:01 PM, Tara wrote:
>> I made a new for us breakfast this morning. I melted a tiny bit of
>> butter in a skillet, heated corn tortillas on one side for a minute or
>> two, flipped them, cracked an egg over each, then covered the skillet
>> until the eggs were done. I sprinkled a little cheese on top. Some
>> salsa, avocado, or black beans would be good, too.
>>
>> Tara

> Sounds similar to the lesson in this month's Cooks illustrated.
>
> They recommend putting oil in the skillet over low for 5 minutes, bring
> it up to medium and add butter, swirl, deposit several eggs from a bowl,
> cover, cook just until the edges whiten, then off the heat and rest - 45
> seconds for runny, 1 minute soft, a bit longer to hard.
>
> I like adding the tortillas, if you first dip them in enchilada sauce
> the flavor goes right in before they fry.
>
> Good stuff.
>
> And I just happen to have 2 corn tortillas sitting in the fridge - off
> to experiment!

Followup:

Just that quickly a one tortilla/one egg/red chile and cheese lunch:

Use a small 6" nonstick pan with lid

Add a little oil (tsp)to the pan

Then 4 minutes on a low heat

Then add a small pat of butter, swirl around

Add the red chile sauce dipped corn tortilla.

Cook for a minute on medium heat until bubbling

Flip tortilla, top with 1 egg and grated cheese.

Cover cook about 1 minute on medium

Remove from heat and let stand for another 2-3 minutes until a nice soft
yolk and perfectly melted cheese appear.

Generally this dish is made as heuvos rancheros with the eggs fried or
poached separately and then placed over the fried tortillas with salsa
and cheese on top.

Doing it with the egg and cheese directly over the chile dipped tortilla
was much better, the flavors married perfectly in the covered pan and
the egg was not oily at all.

Thanks to Tara for the inspiration.

Brunch Tostada koko General Cooking 3 29-07-2014 10:50 PM
Egg Tostada casa bona Recipes 3 30-01-2014 05:13 AM
Egg Tostada Tara General Cooking 7 11-06-2013 12:34 AM
Ceviche Tostada Nick Cramer Diabetic 10 08-04-2008 12:17 AM