krusty kritter

Default Good enchilada recipe

>From: "Jacky"

>I am looking foor some good enchilada recipes. Any one has got an idea on

where to find them ?

Enchiladas aren't complicated at all. The item of interest to me is exactly
what is an enchilada? Answer, it's *anything* covered with chili sauce, but
most folks are familiar with the humble tortilla, filled with meat or cheese
and covered with red chili sauce...

Main Entry: en·chi·la·da
Pronunciation: "en-ch&-'lä-d&
Function: noun
Etymology: American Spanish, from feminine of enchilado, past participle of
enchilar to season with chili, from Spanish en- [1] en- + chile chili
Date: 1887
1 : a rolled filled tortilla covered with chili sauce and usually baked

You can fill them with cheese or you can cook some ground beef in a frying pan,
and drain it, while you are softening your store-bought frozen corn tortillas
in a pot of hot oil...

When the tortillas float to the top, take them out and drain them on a paper
towel until they are ready to be filled and rolled with whatever you're going
to put inside...

You could use chicken or pork or ground beef or shredded beef. I have had beef
enchiladas that tasted very much like the corned beef that comes in little cans
from Argentina..

A little bit of enchilada sauce inside the tortilla will help spice up the
meat...

Maybe you might want to put some chopped onions inside the tortilla with the
meat or cheese, or just pour the canned red enchilada sauce over the rolled
tortillas and sprinkle the onions, some shredded cheese, and a few chopped
olives on top...

Bake the whole enchilada for however long it takes to melt the cheese...

# * 0 * #
^

David Wright

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 12:08:37 +0200, "Jacky" > wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I am looking foor some good enchilada recipes. Any one has got an idea on
>where to find them ?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Chris.

To me, an enchilada is a folded corn tortilla dressed with a chile
salsa, and that's it. It could also be rolled or stacked and filled
with cheese, turkey picadillo, some other meat such as chicken or
pork, whatever you like, along with onions or lettuce.

I don't think of enchiladas as having a recipe, just a way to make
them. Do what you wish.

To complicate things, there are at least also entomatadas (tomato
sauce), enfrijoladas (black bean sauce), and enmoladas (mole).

Have fun with your sauced tortillas, and enjoy.

David
pulido

"default user" > schreef in bericht

> [...]
> 1 white Onion quartered
> 3 garlic cloves
> 1/2 t cumin
> 1/2 t garlic powder
> 1 Bay leaf
> 11 peppercorns ;-)
> 1 bunch green onion
> 1 Package corn tortillas not too fresh as they get soggified. Or
> you could dry them out in the oven or whatever. I have even used
> *good* (like you get in El Paso) tortilla chips for this. You
> can also crisp up the tortillas in oil or the chicked fat.
> Shredded Monterrey Jack cheese.
> Shredded med to sharp cheddar cheese.
>
> *You could use skinless breasts, but I'd poach them in broth first to
> give more flavor.
>
> Cook chicken in crock pot with quartered onion, the 3 cloves of
> garlic, (just skin them and mash the clove with a knife just to open
> the clove) Bay leaf and peppercorns. Cook on high till it simmers,
> then switch to low for 8 hours or so. ( You could simmer in a pot
> on the stove for ~2 hours to save time) You can do this the day
> before.
>
> Remove the chicken and let cool. remove the fat from the stock
> and strain. (use a ladle and patience to remove the fat) reduce
> the stock by half via simmering.
>

> Saute 1/2 the chopped white onion 'til translucent. Add the chicken.
> The idea here is to get a bit of browning on the chicken. Then
> add stock to stop the browning (around a half to 3/4 cup just to keep it
> from drying. Don't make a stew here) add 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
> and 1/2 cumin stir in. Let simmer a few
> minutes and then add 1/2 cup each of the enc. sauces. Let thicken
> then add the sour cream. It's your call on how much, but I use
> about 1/2 cup for mine. I think it could use a tad more, (1 cup)
> but got to watch the calories. Add salt to taste. A tad of pepper
> would be OK, but be careful maybe 1/4 t or so.
>

> Tear the tortillas and line (one layer) bottom and sides of greased
> casserole dish with them. Add a layer of chicken, then a layer of the
> onions,
> (both white and green save some green for the top. ) then a good layer of
> the
> Jack cheese. Dot with some of the enc sauces and also the cheddar very
> sparingly (1T) in these layers.
> Alternate tortillas, chicken, onions, cheese, and sauce until the top
> layer
> which isa final layer of tortillas, then a good layer of the cheddar
> cheese.
> Take the rest of the Enc. sauces and combine. Pour down sides
> of casserole until it comes to the top and the just kinda wet the
> top with sauce, not a big layer maybe 1/8" inch or so. Top with
> some the green onions for garnish, maybe some green olive slices as
> well.
> Bake covered (foil) in 350 degree pre heated oven when it smells
> so good you gotta eat, uncover the dish and cook 'til the
> top cheese is bubbly and starting to dry.

Forget it, this is not an enchilada recipe, it looks like pastel azteca(is
good recipe)!!!!

enchiladas are always rolled with something inside and a sauce on top with
melted (or crumbed)cheese!
served with lettuce, sour cream, rice or beans or both.

http://members.chello.nl/j.pulido1/R...tapatias_.html
just an example, this are tapatias but you can use the sauce that you like

jl

Jim Lane

pulido wrote:
> [...]
>>of casserole until it comes to the top and the just kinda wet the
>>top with sauce, not a big layer maybe 1/8" inch or so. Top with
>>some the green onions for garnish, maybe some green olive slices as
>>well.
>>Bake covered (foil) in 350 degree pre heated oven when it smells
>>so good you gotta eat, uncover the dish and cook 'til the
>>top cheese is bubbly and starting to dry.
>>
>>Enjoy!

> Forget it, this is not an enchilada recipe, it looks like pastel azteca(is
> good recipe)!!!!
>
> enchiladas are always rolled with something inside and a sauce on top with
> melted (or crumbed)cheese!
> served with lettuce, sour cream, rice or beans or both.
>

> http://members.chello.nl/j.pulido1/R...tapatias_.html
> just an example, this are tapatias but you can use the sauce that you like

Funny, I had stacked enchiladas in Sonora. Maybe the Mexicans there
don't know what an enchilada is.

jim

Rolly

Hi Chris,

Look here for a couple of photo stories on making enchiladas:
http://rollybrook.com/Page%20Directory.htm#Kitchen
Jim Lane

LGO wrote:
> Jim Lane > wrote in
> :

>>>Technically, a wet burrito is an enchilado, according to that
>>>dictionary definition I previously posted...
>>>
>>>Now I am thinking about making some shrimp enchiladas in a mild green
>>>chili sauce, and I have to select a mild Mexican-style cheese that
>>>won't over-power the taste of the shrimp...
>>>
>>>Recently, I have dined on camarones en salsa verde, camarones
>>>diablos, and camarones rancheros in various Mexican restaurants and I
>>>was amazed that even the spicy diablo sauce didn't seem to hide the
>>>distinctive flavor of nice fresh juicy jumbo shimp...
>>>
>>>But I think using sharp cheddar cheese in my shrimp enchiladas would
>>>definitely be too strong. Maybe some spicy Monterey Jack with
>>>jalapenos?
>>>
>>>I'm not afraid to experiment. I don't need no steenking recipe...
>>>

>>># * 0 * #
>>> ^

>>Remember one thing, the dictionary definition for enchilada preceeded
>>the burrito, I'll bet, and trying to make all new things fit under an
>>older regime is refusing to face a paradigm change.
>>
>>Interesting that the wet burrito, according to pulido, ceases to be a
>>burrito and now is merely an enchilada.
>>
>>Right.
>>

>>jim
>>

> actually burritos aren't even Mexican.
> just my .02 worth

You're right, just like fajitas and a lot of other things thought to be
Mexican. However, burritos have made their way into Mexico because of
tourists and Mexicans returning home that liked them here. Where's
burritoman when we need a history lesson?

jim
krusty kritter

>From: Jim Lane

>You're right, just like fajitas and a lot of other things thought to be

Mexican. However, burritos have made their way into Mexico because of tourists
and Mexicans returning home that liked them here.

Mexico isn't a homogenous or static culture, any more than the USA is
homogenous or static. Mexico's cuisine has been influenced by every ethnic
group that ever lived there, and the search for "authentic" Mexican cuisine may
lead to great frustration on the part of the would-be gourmet looking for
"typical" regional dishes...

I remember talking to some tourists at a restaurant on Cozumel island and
trying to tell them about how Mexican cooking wasn't all about eating tacos and
burritos and the sort of snack stuff you find Taco Bell...

They were disappointed at being unable to find tacos and burritos and
enchiritos on the upscale restaurant's menu...

But my explanation wasn't good enough, the tourists asked the young Mexican
tour guide what he ate at home, and he replied, "Oh, we eat a lot of tacos..."

I ordered cochinita pibil at the restaurant that day. It was excellent tender
piglet, baked in a banana leaf and smothered in onions, but some of the other
tourists were unwilling to try anything unfamiliar...

I remember one guy ate "pollo al carbon" at every dinner, because he knew what
that was...

I have always searched restaurant menus for the unfamiliar names and ordered
that item, as a culinary adventurer...

Once, in downtown Madrid, I found the only inexpen$ive cafeteria-style
restaurant in the city and ordered "chuletas de cerdo" from the menu on the
wall, without being quite sure what a "chuleta" was. I knew that a "cerdo" was
a pig, though..

The counterperson told me to go ahead and have a seat at a table, that my
grilled pork chops would take a few minutes to cook. My culinary adventures
continue.

The other day, I found a local restaurant that served "costillas de puerco",
and I knew what that was, so I ordered the pork ribs in fiery red chile sauce
and enjoyed them very much, but it led me to wonder why three different dishes
made with pork have such different names...

# * 0 * #
^

krusty kritter

>From: Jim Lane

>You're right, just like fajitas and a lot of other things thought to be

Mexican. However, burritos have made their way into Mexico because of tourists
and Mexicans returning home that liked them here.

Mexico isn't a homogenous or static culture, any more than the USA is
homogenous or static. Mexico's cuisine has been influenced by every ethnic
group that ever lived there, and the search for "authentic" Mexican cuisine may
lead to great frustration on the part of the would-be gourmet looking for
"typical" regional dishes...

I remember talking to some tourists at a restaurant on Cozumel island and
trying to tell them about how Mexican cooking wasn't all about eating tacos and
burritos and the sort of snack stuff you find Taco Bell...

They were disappointed at being unable to find tacos and burritos and
enchiritos on the upscale restaurant's menu...

But my explanation wasn't good enough, the tourists asked the young Mexican
tour guide what he ate at home, and he replied, "Oh, we eat a lot of tacos..."

I ordered cochinita pibil at the restaurant that day. It was excellent tender
piglet, baked in a banana leaf and smothered in onions, but some of the other
tourists were unwilling to try anything unfamiliar...

I remember one guy ate "pollo al carbon" at every dinner, because he knew what
that was...

I have always searched restaurant menus for the unfamiliar names and ordered
that item, as a culinary adventurer...

Once, in downtown Madrid, I found the only inexpen$ive cafeteria-style
restaurant in the city and ordered "chuletas de cerdo" from the menu on the
wall, without being quite sure what a "chuleta" was. I knew that a "cerdo" was
a pig, though..

The counterperson told me to go ahead and have a seat at a table, that my
grilled pork chops would take a few minutes to cook. My culinary adventures
continue.

The other day, I found a local restaurant that served "costillas de puerco",
and I knew what that was, so I ordered the pork ribs in fiery red chile sauce
and enjoyed them very much, but it led me to wonder why three different dishes
made with pork have such different names...

# * 0 * #
^

Charles Gifford

"LGO" > wrote in message
. 1.4...

> actually burritos aren't even Mexican.
> just my .02 worth

Sure they are. They were first brought into California's Imperial Valley and
Arizona by Mexican migrant workers, mostly from Sonora. The parts of Mexico
that grow wheat often make flour tortillas which make an excellent way to
carry your lunch - especially if you are working in the fields.

Charlie

Jim Lane

Charles Gifford wrote:

> "LGO" > wrote in message
> . 1.4...
>
>>actually burritos aren't even Mexican.
>>just my .02 worth

> Sure they are. They were first brought into California's Imperial Valley and
> Arizona by Mexican migrant workers, mostly from Sonora. The parts of Mexico
> that grow wheat often make flour tortillas which make an excellent way to
> carry your lunch - especially if you are working in the fields.
>
> Charlie

Does not anyone else remember burritoman? He had the history down about
how in the 50s or earlier, someone in an area near either LA or San
Francisco (I don't recall which) created the burrito.

That corresponds to the time of the migrants, more or less. I guess the
next time I go to El Centro, I should check with the owners of one
restaurant there. They got their start way, way back, taking food out to
the workers in a horse-drawn wagon. Their restaurant is still,
essentially, out in the fields.

jim

Jim Lane

Charles Gifford wrote:

> "LGO" > wrote in message
> . 1.4...
>
>>actually burritos aren't even Mexican.
>>just my .02 worth

> Sure they are. They were first brought into California's Imperial Valley and
> Arizona by Mexican migrant workers, mostly from Sonora. The parts of Mexico
> that grow wheat often make flour tortillas which make an excellent way to
> carry your lunch - especially if you are working in the fields.
>
> Charlie

Does not anyone else remember burritoman? He had the history down about
how in the 50s or earlier, someone in an area near either LA or San
Francisco (I don't recall which) created the burrito.

That corresponds to the time of the migrants, more or less. I guess the
next time I go to El Centro, I should check with the owners of one
restaurant there. They got their start way, way back, taking food out to
the workers in a horse-drawn wagon. Their restaurant is still,
essentially, out in the fields.

jim
Julie Bove

"Jim Lane" > wrote in message

> Hmmm, so a wet burrito is an enchilada?

No. Burritos use flour tortillas. Enchiladas use corn tortillas.

--
See my webpage:

Jim Lane

Julie Bove wrote:
> "Jim Lane" > wrote in message
>

>>Hmmm, so a wet burrito is an enchilada?

> No. Burritos use flour tortillas. Enchiladas use corn tortillas.

Seems that there might be some confusion here, although I agree with
you. The person I was replying to and that said yes to my question is
the one you needed to say tis to. Then there is some confusion on
whether or not enchiladas can be made with flour tortillas. Apparently,
some people feel that this can be done, especially with baked enchiladas.

You will find some of them he

http://mexican.allrecipes.com/directory/3353.asp

You may or may not be able to argue "authenticity" about this, but
remember, dictionary definitions are not necessarily carved in stone. If
enough people call flour-tortilla-based, sauced items "enchiladas," over
time, they will become exactly that.

As we can defitiely see, enchiladas do not have to be rolled; they can
be folded or they can be Sonoran (stacked) in nature.

jim
Windcat

You really should join the Explorer's Club in New York:

The evening started with cocktails and “exotic” hors d'oeuvres which
included wine marinated lightly roasted tarantulas (yes…spiders!),
barbequed scorpion canapés on toastettes (hey, here in Antigua we have
tarantulas – locally called horse spiders- and scorpions so I have some
new cocktail recepies); also on the menu, Mealworm sushi (yes; worms in
the middle of the sushi roll) and roasted crickets on toast with a
dollop of honey (thank goodness for the honey!).

Meats were Alligator a la Creole, rocky mountain oysters, beaver,
kangaroo, caribou, bear chunks, wild boar sausage and turtle meat… and
other too numerous to name STRANGE THINGS (and some too strange to
eat!). I really did eat the scorpion… but could not stomach the
tarantula --

> I have always searched restaurant menus for the unfamiliar names and ordered
> that item, as a culinary adventurer...

Windcat

You really should join the Explorer's Club in New York:

The evening started with cocktails and “exotic” hors d'oeuvres which
included wine marinated lightly roasted tarantulas (yes…spiders!),
barbequed scorpion canapés on toastettes (hey, here in Antigua we have
tarantulas – locally called horse spiders- and scorpions so I have some
new cocktail recepies); also on the menu, Mealworm sushi (yes; worms in
the middle of the sushi roll) and roasted crickets on toast with a
dollop of honey (thank goodness for the honey!).

Meats were Alligator a la Creole, rocky mountain oysters, beaver,
kangaroo, caribou, bear chunks, wild boar sausage and turtle meat… and
other too numerous to name STRANGE THINGS (and some too strange to
eat!). I really did eat the scorpion… but could not stomach the
tarantula --

> I have always searched restaurant menus for the unfamiliar names and ordered
> that item, as a culinary adventurer...

LGO

"Chef R. W. Miller" > wrote in
om:

> http://www.thatsmyhome.com/texmex/main/M_Enchiladas.htm

Lots of Tex-Mex recipes...just don't try to pass them off as "Mexican"

[....]