Member

Default The best taco ever!

I'm from Florida and I lived in LA for awhile. For years I've been used to the typical Tex-Mex style Mexican taco. I do like a good crunchy taco but more recently I've picked up an appreciation for the soft corn tortilla taco which is more traditional in Mexico. But taking things one step further I think I've experienced the ULTIMATE taco. It was when I was visiting Mexico City. I was taken by locals who know the great places to a variety of different Taquerias and there is one in particular that is out of this world. It's called "Califa" and it's a small little place that you could easily miss. But for those "in the know" this place is unbelievable. The tacos are very simple but super tasty. A steak taco is a thin sliced steak that's been marinated and doesn't even need to be cut. It melts in your mouth as does the corn tortilla which is made FRESH right there in front of you. I think that's the secret and I've not seen this anywhere in the US. But they press it right there and within seconds it's on your plate. A little bit of salsa on top and that's pretty much it! Result is perhaps the BEST TACO EVER! Doesn't need all the other toppings when these main ingredients are THAT good!

The other taco rarity I loved was something called Tacos Al Pastor. I wanted to meet Al Pastor personally and tell him I was a fan (dumb joke... but I did do a sort of Godfather imitation of the imaginary Al Pastor character the rest of the day which got a few laughs). The real Al Pastor taco has spiced pork meat and pineapple on a rotating wheel (like gyro meat) and they grab a knife and chop it off flying right into your taco. A little cilantro and onions on top of small little corn tortillas and you've got yummy little tacos that are TOTALLY different than any taco I've tasted in the US. I wish there was a place that did BOTH of these the same way in Miami. So good!

Have you ever had a taco like either of these?

Here's a picture of them pressing up a fresh tortilla a Califa. Infinite Cookbooks Fotos - Restaurants and Travel | Facebook

I have more pictures on Infinite Cookbook | Facebook

Just tried the Taco Bell Doritos Loco Taco ImStillMags General Cooking 39 02-05-2012 04:24 AM
Jack In The Box Taco Recipe for Taco Party nurk_fred2000 General Cooking 25 13-07-2011 10:32 PM
Del Taco Chicken Soft Taco Sauce Recipe? [email protected] General Cooking 1 27-06-2006 10:21 AM
Taco Town Taco Yeff General Cooking 1 19-04-2006 06:21 PM
Taco Dip Tim Bowley Recipes (moderated) 0 25-07-2005 03:52 AM