Member

Default West Texas Red Enchilada Sauce Recipe

I am originally from Midland TX, and I really miss the west Texas Tex Mex flavor.
I can't seem to find the west Texas flavor in the DFW area.
Of particular interests is the red enchilada sauce used on cheese enchiladas.
** If anyone is familiar with restaurants in Midland TX (Tampico, Jorges, Casita Gerardos, Ajuuas)....does anyone have a red enchilada sauce recipe that is similar to what these restraunts serve?
I'm not looking for a "meat" sauce. I'm looking for the red sauce....I'm not sure how to desribe it....brown in color, with a smooth, smokey flavor.
Years ago, Tampico told me they cook/strain peppers, but I don't know what kind of peppers they use, or their recipe.
Thank you
Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Aug 29, 3:16*am, tpool > wrote:
> I am originally from Midland TX, and I really miss the west Texas Tex
> Mex flavor.
> I can't seem to find the west Texas flavor in the DFW area.
> Of particular interests is the red enchilada sauce used on cheese
> enchiladas.
> ** If anyone is familiar with restaurants in Midland TX (Tampico,
> Jorges, Casita Gerardos, Ajuuas)....does anyone have a red enchilada
> sauce recipe that is similar to what these restraunts serve?
> I'm not looking for a "meat" sauce. I'm looking for the red sauce....I'm
> not sure how to desribe it....brown in color, with a smooth, smokey
> flavor.
> Years ago, Tampico told me they cook/strain peppers, but I don't know
> what kind of peppers they use, or their recipe.
> Thank you
>
> --
> tpool

This recipe should produce the taste you are looking for.

Red chile sauce:
1 oz. dried, New Mexican or Guajillo chile pods
1 1/2 cups water
1/8 Tsp cumin
1/4 - 1/2 Tsp Mexican oregano
1 clove garlic, pulverized
salt

Remove stems and seeds from the chiles. Warm chiles in a heavy
skillet over medium heat. DO NOT ALLOW CHILES TO CHAR!

Heat a bowl, containing 1 1/2 cups water in a microwave oven to
boiling. Submerge the chiles in the hot water until well saturated,
about 1 hour. With a hand blender, puree the Chile/water mixture into
a fine consistency. Strain the thin paste through a mesh strainer.
While using a wooden spoon, mash, scrape and coax the maximum quantity
of the sauce from the skins into another another bowl. Adjust water
level to about 1 1/2 cups.

Place the Red chile sauce into a saucepan, along with cumin, Mexican
oregano, garlic and a fair amount of salt. Bring the pan to a boil,
then simmer over low heat for about 10 minutes. Do not reduce this
sauce too severely.
Member

Tampico told me they cook/strain peppers, but I don't know what kind of peppers they use, or their recipe.
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kheper View Post
On Aug 29, 3:16*am, tpool wrote:
[...]

This sounds really good I have to try it.
Bathroom Design Advice