Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Default Pulled Pork into Carnitas???

Hi to all. We love pulled pork and we also love carnitas. If we have a bunch
of pulled pork sitting around, is there a way to transform it into decent
carnitas? Most carnitas recipes I know require marinating, etc, and the pork
is wetter and maybe more tender as well. But since the meat is the same, can
I just add something to make it work?

Thanks
Tim

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Feb 9, 1:35*pm, "Tim Conde" > wrote:
> Hi to all. We love pulled pork and we also love carnitas. If we have a bunch
> of pulled pork sitting around, is there a way to transform it into decent
> carnitas? Most carnitas recipes I know require marinating, etc, and the pork
> is wetter and maybe more tender as well. But since the meat is the same, can
> I just add something to make it work?
>
> Thanks
> Tim

Kinda sketchy about your question but here's a go at it:

You'll need:

1 4-pound boneless pork butt, cut into 2-inch chunks
Salt and pepper
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 small onion, peeled and halved
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon dried oregano
juice of 1 lime
2 cups water
1 medium orange, halved and juice (seeds removed)

Heat oven to 300 degrees.

Add all the ingredients in a Dutch oven and heat the ingredients until
they begin to simmer, stirring to combine the spices and meat. Cover
the pot and place it in the preheated oven. Bake for 1 hour, take a
peek and give the pot a stir to turn the meat. Put the lid back on and
let it continue to bake in the oven for another hour. A bit of
patience is needed, but you'll definitely be rewarded!

After 2 hours of baking time, remove the pot from oven. Remove the bay
leasves, onion and orange rinds from the pot and discard. Place the
pork in a bowl and set aside. Place the pot on the stovetop and let
the remaining liquid come to a boil. Let it boil until it thickens up
and is reduced to about 1 cup.

Turn oven to broil and lower racks to near the bottom of the oven. In
the bowl, pull each piece of pork in half using two forks. Pour the
reduced liquid over the pork and add salt and pepper to taste. Place
the coated pieces of pork on a wireor cooling rack set on a baking
sheet. Broil the meat for 5 to 8 minutes on each side until well
browned. You can pull the pork further if you want and then serve
immediately in warm tortillas. Garnish with salsa, cheese, etc as
you'd like.
Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Hi Jane. I have a bunch of carnitas recipes. My problem, which I didn't
explain well, is this:

At Costco,. they sell reheatable trays of cooked "Pulled Pork." It is a
hickory smoked pulled pork, NOT carnitas. I take it their idea is to mix the
pulled pork with BBQ sauce and mound it on a bun. What I'd like to do is to
take the cooked pulled pork, mix some things in it, and end up with passable
carnitas. I am only doing that since we buy quite a bit of pulled pork, but
I am the only one that likes carnitas. So if I take the cooked pulled pork
and add this and that, I can have my carnitas and they can have their pulled
pork.

"Jane" > wrote in message
On Feb 9, 1:35 pm, "Tim Conde" > wrote:
> Hi to all. We love pulled pork and we also love carnitas. If we have a
> bunch
> of pulled pork sitting around, is there a way to transform it into decent
> carnitas? Most carnitas recipes I know require marinating, etc, and the
> pork
> is wetter and maybe more tender as well. But since the meat is the same,
> can
> I just add something to make it work?
>
> Thanks
> Tim

Kinda sketchy about your question but here's a go at it:

You'll need:

1 4-pound boneless pork butt, cut into 2-inch chunks
Salt and pepper
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 small onion, peeled and halved
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon dried oregano
juice of 1 lime
2 cups water
1 medium orange, halved and juice (seeds removed)

Heat oven to 300 degrees.

Add all the ingredients in a Dutch oven and heat the ingredients until
they begin to simmer, stirring to combine the spices and meat. Cover
the pot and place it in the preheated oven. Bake for 1 hour, take a
peek and give the pot a stir to turn the meat. Put the lid back on and
let it continue to bake in the oven for another hour. A bit of
patience is needed, but you'll definitely be rewarded!

After 2 hours of baking time, remove the pot from oven. Remove the bay
leasves, onion and orange rinds from the pot and discard. Place the
pork in a bowl and set aside. Place the pot on the stovetop and let
the remaining liquid come to a boil. Let it boil until it thickens up
and is reduced to about 1 cup.

Turn oven to broil and lower racks to near the bottom of the oven. In
the bowl, pull each piece of pork in half using two forks. Pour the
reduced liquid over the pork and add salt and pepper to taste. Place
the coated pieces of pork on a wireor cooling rack set on a baking
sheet. Broil the meat for 5 to 8 minutes on each side until well
browned. You can pull the pork further if you want and then serve
immediately in warm tortillas. Garnish with salsa, cheese, etc as
you'd like.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Hey Tim, I'd make a reduced marinade of the carnitas flavorings and
simmer some of the pork in that. It should give the essence of the
flavorings you are looking for. I'd reduce it til it is quite thick.
Good Luck, let us know how it came out.
Nan in DE
Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Feb 9, 3:35*pm, "Tim Conde" > wrote:
> Hi to all. We love pulled pork and we also love carnitas. If we have a bunch
> of pulled pork sitting around, is there a way to transform it into decent
> carnitas? Most carnitas recipes I know require marinating, etc, and the pork
> is wetter and maybe more tender as well. But since the meat is the same, can
> I just add something to make it work?

Carnitas is made with square chunks of pork. Half the chunks should be
crispy and crunchy and the other half should be moist and tender.

One time I was eating at a Mexican taqueria chain and the owner saw
that the cook had given me all crispy carnitas, so she brought me a
bowl of tender carnitas.

I heard her tell the cook that she was going to fire him if he
couldn't learn how to make carnitas correctly...

"Pulled" pork comes from a larger piece of well-done that has been
pulled into shreds with two forks.

This is called a "tinga", which means "hash" in Spanish, and it's
called barbecue in Texican...

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Oh, please do not get me wrong. I have no visions of cranking out a
world-class batch of carnitas from some pulled pork and a reduced marinade /
braising sauce. The family loves pulled pork sandwiches and most other
things made with pulled pork. Me? I used to work in the interior of Mexico
and I fell in love with the authentic flavors of Mexico. To this day, I
cannot put lettuce on a taco; it has to be cabbage. Cheese? Never happen. I
think most people wouldn't even recognize REAL Mexican food as Mexican food.
I once had a friend say that he didn't want to go to Taco Bell because he
didn't want Mexican food. I told him not to worry; he wouldn't get Mexican
food at Taco Bell.

"." > wrote in message
On Feb 9, 3:35 pm, "Tim Conde" > wrote:
> Hi to all. We love pulled pork and we also love carnitas. If we have a
> bunch
> of pulled pork sitting around, is there a way to transform it into decent
> carnitas? Most carnitas recipes I know require marinating, etc, and the
> pork
> is wetter and maybe more tender as well. But since the meat is the same,
> can
> I just add something to make it work?

Carnitas is made with square chunks of pork. Half the chunks should be
crispy and crunchy and the other half should be moist and tender.

One time I was eating at a Mexican taqueria chain and the owner saw
that the cook had given me all crispy carnitas, so she brought me a
bowl of tender carnitas.

I heard her tell the cook that she was going to fire him if he
couldn't learn how to make carnitas correctly...

"Pulled" pork comes from a larger piece of well-done that has been
pulled into shreds with two forks.

This is called a "tinga", which means "hash" in Spanish, and it's
called barbecue in Texican...

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Feb 11, 11:21*pm, "Tim Conde" > wrote:
> I used to work in the interior of Mexico
> and I fell in love with the authentic flavors of Mexico.

Oh, no! You just typed the "A" word! ;-)

The "A" word has been a "no-no" in this NG for years.

> To this day, I cannot put lettuce on a taco; it has to be cabbage.

And I was very surprised when I was served pozole with shredded
cabbage floating on top in a central California taqueria.

Cabbage is just not part of Sonoran-style cooking, at least in my
limited experience.

> I think most people wouldn't even recognize REAL Mexican food as Mexican food.

I've been saying that for years. I searched "Mexican restaurants" in
California for decades before I learned that any place with a menu of
about 20 items painted on the wall behind the counter where you place
your order was really just a taqueria and that all taquerias had the
same 20 menu items, more or less.

> I once had a friend say that he didn't want to go to Taco Bell because he
> didn't want Mexican food. I told him not to worry; he wouldn't get Mexican
> food at Taco Bell.

Taco Bell and Del Taco were started by two gringos in San Bernardino
about 40 years ago. The two gringos remembered the taste of the Tex-
Mex food they ate as kids in the Southwestern USA and thought that was
the *authentic* taste of Mexico.

Oh, no! I just typed the "A" word myself.

Oh, well. I used to post all sorts of recipes from my internet
research looking for
less well-known Mexican recipes, but I gave up when I was accused of
posting copyrighted material and stealing other people's work.

I was accused of "class warfare" and "racism" when I described the
difference between Indigenous Mexican cooking, Mestizo cooking, and
Spanish-style cooking...

There was a core group in this NG that was perfectly happy with eating
tacos and drinking beer, and trying to eat the hottest chile or drink
chile sauce straight from a bottle.

That's all Mexican food was to them.
Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"Tim Conde" > wrote in message
> Hi to all. We love pulled pork and we also love carnitas. If we have a
> bunch of pulled pork sitting around, is there a way to transform it into
> decent carnitas? Most carnitas recipes I know require marinating, etc, and
> the pork is wetter and maybe more tender as well. But since the meat is
> the same, can I just add something to make it work?
>
> Thanks
> Tim

Think of the pulled pork you have the same as you would for Machaca
(Mexican) or Ropa Vieja (Cuban). dice some onions, chilies (your choice for
heat) a little cumin & some orange peal. Sauté in a hot cast iron pan, add
the pulled pork and fry till dry & browning.

Serve with the fix'ns for soft tacos to include fresh Pico de Gallo.

--
Dimitri

Searing

http://kitchenguide.wordpress.com.

Member

Wink

Sounds great!
HOw do you make pulled pork though? DOesn't it take like 24 hrs to cook or something - does it have to be done on the BBQ or is there an oven version?
When we do Barbecues we don't have the time you guys in the states have. You know, the blokes sitting around drinking Buds and stoking the barbie while the girls chop up tomatoes and talk about girl stuff. We would arrive at say 1pm, unload all our kit, set up and start cooking at say 2.30, to serve at around 4.00 - Not much time to do real big ass cuts of proper USA style BBQ - I'm afraid in this country people think of BBQ as burger, sausages and chicken skewers - maybe a few prawns or butterflied leg of lamb. Bit sad really but you can do a fantastic spread with a lovely centre piece of say a whole fillet of beef and people will still say 'got any bangers (sausages)'.
I watched that Jamie Oliver show where he went all around the states and the episode where he was down in Carolina (i think) was excellent.. It made me want to get my own mini-pit fabricated and to start doing big cuts,, more slowly. Anyway, has anyone got any ideas of how to do the pulled pork thing in an oven?
__________________
Jake Honeywill
Event Coordinator
Octopus Food Limited
Excellent Catering for Special Events
London Corporate Caterers
Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Feb 17, 1:44*am, Jake Honeywill <Jake.Honeywill.
> wrote:

> Anyway, has anyone got any ideas of how to do the
> pulled pork thing in an oven?

Throw a leg of pork into the broiler and leave it in for an hour or
so, until the top layer gets crispy and cut that part off and chop it
into squares, and then pull the tender inner layers apart with two
forks and you have something close to the faux carnitas which the OP
wanted.

Carnitas is all about the *texture* of crisp crunchy chunks of pork
vs. the tender chunks, folks, it's not about some secret bbq sauce.

What the OP really seemed to want to do is somehow carmelize the
already shredded pulled pork, and that's just not going to happen, the
shreds just aren't going to get crunchy.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"Jake Honeywill" > wrote in
message . ..

> Dimitri;1438806 Wrote:
>> "Tim Conde" wrote in message
>> ...-
>> Hi to all. We love pulled pork and we also love carnitas. If we have a
>>
>> bunch of pulled pork sitting around, is there a way to transform it
>> into
>> decent carnitas? Most carnitas recipes I know require marinating, etc,
>> and
>> the pork is wetter and maybe more tender as well. But since the meat is
>>
>> the same, can I just add something to make it work?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Tim-
>>
>> Think of the pulled pork you have the same as you would for Machaca
>> (Mexican) or Ropa Vieja (Cuban). dice some onions, chilies (your choice
>> for
>> heat) a little cumin & some orange peal. Sauté in a hot cast iron pan,
>> add
>> the pulled pork and fry till dry & browning.
>>
>> Serve with the fix'ns for soft tacos to include fresh Pico de Gallo.
>>

>> --
>> Dimitri
>>
>> Searing
>>
>> 'Dimitri's Kitchen Guide' (
http://kitchenguide.wordpress.com).

> Sounds great!
> HOw do you make pulled pork though? DOesn't it take like 24 hrs to cook
> or something - does it have to be done on the BBQ or is there an oven
> version?
> When we do Barbecues we don't have the time you guys in the states have.
> You know, the blokes sitting around drinking Buds and stoking the barbie
> while the girls chop up tomatoes and talk about girl stuff. We would
> arrive at say 1pm, unload all our kit, set up and start cooking at say
> 2.30, to serve at around 4.00 - Not much time to do real big ass cuts of
> proper USA style BBQ - I'm afraid in this country people think of BBQ as
> burger, sausages and chicken skewers - maybe a few prawns or butterflied
> leg of lamb. Bit sad really but you can do a fantastic spread with a
> lovely centre piece of say a whole fillet of beef and people will still
> say 'got any bangers (sausages)'.
> I watched that Jamie Oliver show where he went all around the states and
> the episode where he was down in Carolina (i think) was excellent.. It
> made me want to get my own mini-pit fabricated and to start doing big
> cuts,, more slowly. Anyway, has anyone got any ideas of how to do the
> pulled pork thing in an oven?
>

> --
> Jake Honeywill

Pulled pork is generally a Picnic (front leg) or a Boston butt shoulder cut
and is usually smoked. the smoking process (depending on the size) can take
12 to 16 hours at a low temperature. Usually the roast begins falling apart
at a temperature of 185 to 195 degrees internal temperature. Hence the
pulled nomenclature. Additionally in the South they will roast/smoke a
whole pig.

If you have a smoker GREAT if not you can accomplish similar results in a
crock pot. Place the roast in a 400 degree oven, fat side up for about an
hour. The drop the whole thing in a crock pot on high for 8 to 12 hours. be
very careful here do not add more then 1/2 cup of liquid (bbq sauce) as the
roast will offer a lot of moisture.

--
Dimitri

Searing

http://kitchenguide.wordpress.com.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"." > wrote in message
On Feb 11, 11:21 pm, "Tim Conde" > wrote:
> I used to work in the interior of Mexico
> and I fell in love with the authentic flavors of Mexico.

Oh, no! You just typed the "A" word! ;-)

The "A" word has been a "no-no" in this NG for years.

> To this day, I cannot put lettuce on a taco; it has to be cabbage.

And I was very surprised when I was served pozole with shredded
cabbage floating on top in a central California taqueria.

Cabbage is just not part of Sonoran-style cooking, at least in my
limited experience.

> I think most people wouldn't even recognize REAL Mexican food as Mexican
> food.

I've been saying that for years. I searched "Mexican restaurants" in
California for decades before I learned that any place with a menu of
about 20 items painted on the wall behind the counter where you place
your order was really just a taqueria and that all taquerias had the
same 20 menu items, more or less.

> I once had a friend say that he didn't want to go to Taco Bell because he
> didn't want Mexican food. I told him not to worry; he wouldn't get Mexican
> food at Taco Bell.

Taco Bell and Del Taco were started by two gringos in San Bernardino
about 40 years ago. The two gringos remembered the taste of the Tex-
Mex food they ate as kids in the Southwestern USA and thought that was
the *authentic* taste of Mexico.

Oh, no! I just typed the "A" word myself.

Oh, well. I used to post all sorts of recipes from my internet
research looking for
less well-known Mexican recipes, but I gave up when I was accused of
posting copyrighted material and stealing other people's work.

I was accused of "class warfare" and "racism" when I described the
difference between Indigenous Mexican cooking, Mestizo cooking, and
Spanish-style cooking...

There was a core group in this NG that was perfectly happy with eating
tacos and drinking beer, and trying to eat the hottest chile or drink
chile sauce straight from a bottle.

That's all Mexican food was to them.

Yet you come across as a bigger prick than them. You lose

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Feb 26, 5:46*pm, "Mike" > wrote:
> "." > wrote in message

> On Feb 11, 11:21 pm, "Tim Conde" > wrote:
>
> > I used to work in the interior of Mexico
> > and I fell in love with the authentic flavors of Mexico.

> Oh, no! You just typed the "A" word! ;-)
>
> The "A" word has been a "no-no" in this NG for years.
>
> > To this day, I cannot put lettuce on a taco; it has to be cabbage.

> And I was very surprised when I was served pozole with shredded
> cabbage floating on top in a central California taqueria.
>
> Cabbage is just not part of Sonoran-style cooking, at least in my
> limited experience.
>
> > I think most people wouldn't even recognize REAL Mexican food as Mexican
> > food.

> I've been saying that for years. I searched "Mexican restaurants" in
> California for decades before I learned that any place with a menu of
> about 20 items painted on the wall behind the counter where you place
> your order was really just a taqueria and that all taquerias had the
> same 20 menu items, more or less.
>
> > I once had a friend say that he didn't want to go to Taco Bell because he
> > didn't want Mexican food. I told him not to worry; he wouldn't get Mexican
> > food at Taco Bell.

> Taco Bell and Del Taco were started by two gringos in San Bernardino
> about 40 years ago. The two gringos remembered the taste of the Tex-
> Mex food they ate as kids in the Southwestern USA and thought that was
> the *authentic* taste of Mexico.
>
> Oh, no! I just typed the "A" word myself.
>
> Oh, well. I used to post all sorts of recipes from my internet
> research looking for
> less well-known Mexican recipes, but I gave up when I was accused of
> posting copyrighted material and stealing other people's work.
>
> I was accused of "class warfare" and "racism" when I described the
> difference between Indigenous Mexican *cooking, Mestizo cooking, and
> Spanish-style cooking...

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Feb 26, 5:46*pm, "Mike" > wrote:
> "." > wrote in message
> There was a core group in this NG that was perfectly happy with eating
> tacos and drinking beer, and trying to eat the hottest chile or drink
> chile sauce straight from a bottle.
>
> That's all Mexican food was to them.
>
> Yet you come across as a bigger prick than them. You lose

Anthony Bourdain was my role model...
Senior Member

Location: WI

Quote:
Originally Posted by .[_7_] View Post
On Feb 26, 5:46*pm, "Mike" wrote:
"." wrote in message
There was a core group in this NG that was perfectly happy with eating
tacos and drinking beer, and trying to eat the hottest chile or drink
chile sauce straight from a bottle.

That's all Mexican food was to them.

Yet you come across as a bigger prick than them. You lose

Anthony Bourdain was my role model...
In the Yucatan they enjoy "conchita de pibil" which is a pork roasted (really more stewed with anatto seeds ("achiote" at the Mexican mart). It's surprisingly easy to find even here, in Hooterville. Grind 'em up(about 2-4T add some liquid in the Nesco with some garlic and abit of salt.) Cover with banan leaves if you're big on the "A word"; but I make it without. I can fit a puerquito (30 day old piglet) in my nesco and let 'er roll on 200 for 10 hours. Use a pork shoulder; you know.

The "carnitas" part comes in when you with to use the leftovers (make a lot, or you won't get leftovers.) Preserve in fridge in the achiote fuid and brown on caste iron. Garnish with good pico, or what my friends call "salsa fresca."

This is such a tough one because every mexican cook has their version of carnitas and they vary from region to region.

Last edited by Gorio : 13-07-2010 at 03:31 PM

Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane[_6_] View Post
[...]

sound delicious. I should try it

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Conde View Post
Hi Jane. I have a bunch of carnitas recipes. My problem, which I didn't
explain well, is this:

At Costco,. they sell reheatable trays of cooked "Pulled Pork." It is a
hickory smoked pulled pork, NOT carnitas. I take it their idea is to mix the
pulled pork with BBQ sauce and mound it on a bun. What I'd like to do is to
take the cooked pulled pork, mix some things in it, and end up with passable
carnitas. I am only doing that since we buy quite a bit of pulled pork, but
I am the only one that likes carnitas. So if I take the cooked pulled pork
and add this and that, I can have my carnitas and they can have their pulled
pork.
After searching through Google, isn't that two different kinds of pork? Carnitas seem to look dry while Pulled Pork is different.