Old 21-04-2011, 01:47 PM
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane[_6_] View Post
On Feb 9, 1:35*pm, "Tim Conde" wrote:
Hi to all. We love pulled pork and we also love carnitas. If we have a bunch
of pulled pork sitting around, is there a way to transform it into decent
carnitas? Most carnitas recipes I know require marinating, etc, and the pork
is wetter and maybe more tender as well. But since the meat is the same, can
I just add something to make it work?

Thanks
Tim

Kinda sketchy about your question but here's a go at it:

You'll need:

1 4-pound boneless pork butt, cut into 2-inch chunks
Salt and pepper
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 small onion, peeled and halved
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon dried oregano
juice of 1 lime
2 cups water
1 medium orange, halved and juice (seeds removed)

Heat oven to 300 degrees.

Add all the ingredients in a Dutch oven and heat the ingredients until
they begin to simmer, stirring to combine the spices and meat. Cover
the pot and place it in the preheated oven. Bake for 1 hour, take a
peek and give the pot a stir to turn the meat. Put the lid back on and
let it continue to bake in the oven for another hour. A bit of
patience is needed, but you'll definitely be rewarded!

After 2 hours of baking time, remove the pot from oven. Remove the bay
leasves, onion and orange rinds from the pot and discard. Place the
pork in a bowl and set aside. Place the pot on the stovetop and let
the remaining liquid come to a boil. Let it boil until it thickens up
and is reduced to about 1 cup.

Turn oven to broil and lower racks to near the bottom of the oven. In
the bowl, pull each piece of pork in half using two forks. Pour the
reduced liquid over the pork and add salt and pepper to taste. Place
the coated pieces of pork on a wireor cooling rack set on a baking
sheet. Broil the meat for 5 to 8 minutes on each side until well
browned. You can pull the pork further if you want and then serve
immediately in warm tortillas. Garnish with salsa, cheese, etc as
you'd like.
sound delicious. I should try it

Old 28-09-2011, 04:04 AM
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Conde View Post
Hi to all. We love pulled pork and we also love carnitas. If we have a bunch
of pulled pork sitting around, is there a way to transform it into decent
carnitas? Most carnitas recipes I know require marinating, etc, and the pork
is wetter and maybe more tender as well. But since the meat is the same, can
I just add something to make it work?

Thanks
Tim
That sounds Great!
Old 28-09-2011, 02:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Conde View Post
Hi Jane. I have a bunch of carnitas recipes. My problem, which I didn't
explain well, is this:

At Costco,. they sell reheatable trays of cooked "Pulled Pork." It is a
hickory smoked pulled pork, NOT carnitas. I take it their idea is to mix the
pulled pork with BBQ sauce and mound it on a bun. What I'd like to do is to
take the cooked pulled pork, mix some things in it, and end up with passable
carnitas. I am only doing that since we buy quite a bit of pulled pork, but
I am the only one that likes carnitas. So if I take the cooked pulled pork
and add this and that, I can have my carnitas and they can have their pulled
pork.
After searching through Google, isn't that two different kinds of pork? Carnitas seem to look dry while Pulled Pork is different.