Member

Question flower water

I went to Mexico City this summer and one of all the delicous things I tried was to drink some sort of flower water with the food. I don't remember the name, only that it was red and made from a flower...yummy. Anyone know the name of the flower or how to make it? thanks a lot
Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Default flower water

ryan_harrison wrote:
> I went to Mexico City this summer and one of all the delicous things I
> tried was to drink some sort of flower water with the food. I don't
> remember the name, only that it was red and made from a flower...yummy.
> Anyone know the name of the flower or how to make it? thanks a lot

I think it was probably Agua de Jamaica (Hibiscus Flower Water). When I
had it it was a dark maroon or dark burgundy color. But it could be red
I suppose depending on the recipe used. There are recipes on the
internet that can be found with a search engine. You will probably need
to go to a Hispanic market and look for hibiscus or Jamaica flowers to
make it.
Member

Quote:

I think it was probably Agua de Jamaica (Hibiscus Flower Water). When I
had it it was a dark maroon or dark burgundy color. But it could be red
I suppose depending on the recipe used. There are recipes on the
internet that can be found with a search engine. You will probably need
to go to a Hispanic market and look for hibiscus or Jamaica flowers to
make it.
Thanks! You are probably right, the flower water wan't red , it was more dark burgundy color. Apparently you just put all the ingredients (flowers + water + sugar ) in a saucepan and "Bring to a boil, then turn off the heat. Let mixture steep for 30 minutes. Strain and refrigerate."
Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Dec 13, 6:22*am, ryan_harrison <ryan_harrison.
> wrote:
> I don't remember the name, only that it was red and made from a flower...yummy.
> Anyone know the name of the flower or how to make it? *thanks a lot

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roselle_(plant)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aguas_frescas

Orange-flower water - best source? [email protected] General Cooking 51 12-03-2013 10:50 PM
Flower tea Mydnight Tea 1 05-01-2006 04:06 PM
Flower Syrup MacLeod, Kathleen Recipes (moderated) 0 06-05-2004 02:02 PM