Old 16-09-2004, 09:06 PM
LOU

Default Haberno Pepper Sauce

I love "Tabasco" pepper sauce on most types of meats, eggs but I refuse to
pay the high price.

Now the haberno pepper (even with seeds) suits my taste but I have searched
the net for a sauce very similar to the Tabasco sauce (I find lots of
haberno sauces but not even remotely connected to the consistancy of
Tabasco. Some have mayonise, some have other ingredients but nothing simple
like a pour on sauce (I hope I am clear).

Soooo, if by odd chance does someone have a simple (meaning not a lot of
ingredients and not expensive to make), I would appreciate it

THANKS!

Old 16-09-2004, 09:23 PM
David Wright

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 20:06:24 GMT, LOU wrote:

I love "Tabasco" pepper sauce on most types of meats, eggs but I refuse to
pay the high price.

Now the haberno pepper (even with seeds) suits my taste but I have searched
the net for a sauce very similar to the Tabasco sauce (I find lots of
haberno sauces but not even remotely connected to the consistancy of
Tabasco. Some have mayonise, some have other ingredients but nothing simple
like a pour on sauce (I hope I am clear).

Soooo, if by odd chance does someone have a simple (meaning not a lot of
ingredients and not expensive to make), I would appreciate it

THANKS!

Well, Lou, your message is very clear, but I think it has nothing to
do with Mexican cooking. Why do *you* think it does?

David

Old 16-09-2004, 10:03 PM
Dan Abel

In article , David Wright
wrote:

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 20:06:24 GMT, LOU wrote:

I love "Tabasco" pepper sauce on most types of meats, eggs but I refuse to
pay the high price.

I think that it is reasonably cheap, given how little it takes most of the
time. Unless you use it by the gallon:

http://countrystore.tabasco.com/inde...6&moreid= C65

it's not that expensive. A 12oz bottle lasts me for a couple of years.

Soooo, if by odd chance does someone have a simple (meaning not a lot of
ingredients and not expensive to make), I would appreciate it

THANKS!

Well, Lou, your message is very clear, but I think it has nothing to
do with Mexican cooking. Why do *you* think it does?

Because many Mexican hot sauces are very similar? I like Tapatio, which
isn't made in Mexico. It is very cheap, sometimes on sale for US$.50 for
5 oz, but a little less hot than Tabasco. My daughter likes Valentina,
which is made in Mexico. It is very mild and very cheap. We (or she) pay
about US$2.00 per quart. There are a number of other brands. We buy them
at the local supermarket in the Mexican food section.

--
Dan Abel
Sonoma State University

Old 16-09-2004, 10:55 PM
Harry G.

"LOU" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
| I love "Tabasco" pepper sauce on most types of meats, eggs but I refuse to
| pay the high price.
|
| Now the haberno pepper (even with seeds) suits my taste but I have
searched
| the net for a sauce very similar to the Tabasco sauce (I find lots of
| haberno sauces but not even remotely connected to the consistancy of
| Tabasco. Some have mayonise, some have other ingredients but nothing
simple
| like a pour on sauce (I hope I am clear).
|
| Soooo, if by odd chance does someone have a simple (meaning not a lot of
| ingredients and not expensive to make), I would appreciate it
|
| THANKS!

Try "Franks". Not quite the heat of "Tabasco" but more flavor, IMO.

Old 16-09-2004, 10:55 PM
Harry G.

news:[email protected]

Old 16-09-2004, 10:55 PM
Harry G.

news:[email protected]

Old 17-09-2004, 02:13 AM
Uncle Bob

If you are ever in Ft. Worth, there is a store just a block or two north of
downtown called "Pendrey's" (I think). It's expensive but it has virtually
every variety of hot sauce that's made including a lot of haberno based
sauces. Tabasco has a haberno sauce that's not too bad. You can probably
figure out why they are so expensive. Do you remember the story about the
woman in Albuquerque that bought hot coffee at a McDonalds?

news:[email protected]

Old 17-09-2004, 02:13 AM
Uncle Bob

If you are ever in Ft. Worth, there is a store just a block or two north of
downtown called "Pendrey's" (I think). It's expensive but it has virtually
every variety of hot sauce that's made including a lot of haberno based
sauces. Tabasco has a haberno sauce that's not too bad. You can probably
figure out why they are so expensive. Do you remember the story about the
woman in Albuquerque that bought hot coffee at a McDonalds?

news:[email protected]

Old 17-09-2004, 07:04 AM
BillB

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 14:03:55 -0700, Dan Abel wrote:

Because many Mexican hot sauces are very similar? I like Tapatio, which
isn't made in Mexico. It is very cheap, sometimes on sale for US$.50 for
5 oz, but a little less hot than Tabasco. My daughter likes Valentina,
which is made in Mexico. It is very mild and very cheap. We (or she) pay
about US$2.00 per quart. There are a number of other brands. We buy them
at the local supermarket in the Mexican food section.

One of my local supermarkets carries three types of Valentina.
The only one I've tried, supposedly the hottest (it says "Extra Hot"
on the label) isn't as hot as Tabasco. Although the label claims
that it contains only chile peppers, it seemed to have a slight
tomato-ey taste. Not bad though, and inexpensive. To pass Tabasco
on the Scoville scale, I'd guess you could add about 1/2 oz. of
Dave's Insanity Sauce to a 12 1/2 oz. bottle of Valentina.

Another brand carried locally is El Yucateco. Their "Salsa Picante
de Chile Habanero" is hot, but their "Salsa Kutbil-ik de Chile
Habanero" (Original Mayan Recipe) is hotter still, and thicker,
almost a paste, compared to the others.

Old 26-09-2004, 04:12 AM
David Goldstein

LOU wrote:

snipped

Soooo, if by odd chance does someone have a simple (meaning not a lot of
ingredients and not expensive to make), I would appreciate it

A quick google search yiedled this result:

http://www.recipegoldmine.com/condiments/cond23.html

THANKS!

David

PS: The Habanero Sauce that I buy comes from the carribean. The brand
is Encona and it is very, very good.