FoodBanter.com

-   Mexican Cooking (https://www.foodbanter.com/mexican-cooking/)
-   -   Haberno Pepper Sauce (https://www.foodbanter.com/mexican-cooking/35281-haberno-pepper-sauce.html)

LOU 16-09-2004 09:06 PM

Haberno Pepper Sauce

I love "Tabasco" pepper sauce on most types of meats, eggs but I refuse to
pay the high price.

Now the haberno pepper (even with seeds) suits my taste but I have searched
the net for a sauce very similar to the Tabasco sauce (I find lots of
haberno sauces but not even remotely connected to the consistancy of
Tabasco. Some have mayonise, some have other ingredients but nothing simple
like a pour on sauce (I hope I am clear).

Soooo, if by odd chance does someone have a simple (meaning not a lot of
ingredients and not expensive to make), I would appreciate it :)

THANKS!

David Wright 16-09-2004 09:23 PM

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 20:06:24 GMT, LOU > wrote:

>I love "Tabasco" pepper sauce on most types of meats, eggs but I refuse to
>pay the high price.
>
>Now the haberno pepper (even with seeds) suits my taste but I have searched
>the net for a sauce very similar to the Tabasco sauce (I find lots of
>haberno sauces but not even remotely connected to the consistancy of
>Tabasco. Some have mayonise, some have other ingredients but nothing simple
>like a pour on sauce (I hope I am clear).
>
>Soooo, if by odd chance does someone have a simple (meaning not a lot of
>ingredients and not expensive to make), I would appreciate it :)
>
>THANKS!

Well, Lou, your message is very clear, but I think it has nothing to
do with Mexican cooking. Why do *you* think it does?

David

David Wright 16-09-2004 09:23 PM

Dan Abel 16-09-2004 10:03 PM

In article >, David Wright
> wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 20:06:24 GMT, LOU > wrote:
>
> >I love "Tabasco" pepper sauce on most types of meats, eggs but I refuse to
> >pay the high price.

I think that it is reasonably cheap, given how little it takes most of the
time. Unless you use it by the gallon:

http://countrystore.tabasco.com/inde...6&moreid= C65

it's not that expensive. A 12oz bottle lasts me for a couple of years.

> >Soooo, if by odd chance does someone have a simple (meaning not a lot of
> >ingredients and not expensive to make), I would appreciate it :)
> >
> >THANKS!

> Well, Lou, your message is very clear, but I think it has nothing to
> do with Mexican cooking. Why do *you* think it does?

Because many Mexican hot sauces are very similar? I like Tapatio, which
isn't made in Mexico. It is very cheap, sometimes on sale for US$.50 for
5 oz, but a little less hot than Tabasco. My daughter likes Valentina,
which is made in Mexico. It is very mild and very cheap. We (or she) pay
about US$2.00 per quart. There are a number of other brands. We buy them
at the local supermarket in the Mexican food section.

--
Dan Abel
Sonoma State University

Dan Abel 16-09-2004 10:03 PM

In article >, David Wright

Dan Abel 16-09-2004 10:03 PM

In article >, David Wright

Harry G. 16-09-2004 10:55 PM

"LOU" > wrote in message
| I love "Tabasco" pepper sauce on most types of meats, eggs but I refuse to
| pay the high price.
|
| Now the haberno pepper (even with seeds) suits my taste but I have
searched
| the net for a sauce very similar to the Tabasco sauce (I find lots of
| haberno sauces but not even remotely connected to the consistancy of
| Tabasco. Some have mayonise, some have other ingredients but nothing
simple
| like a pour on sauce (I hope I am clear).
|
| Soooo, if by odd chance does someone have a simple (meaning not a lot of
| ingredients and not expensive to make), I would appreciate it :)
|
| THANKS!

Try "Franks". Not quite the heat of "Tabasco" but more flavor, IMO.

Harry G. 16-09-2004 10:55 PM

Harry G. 16-09-2004 10:55 PM

Uncle Bob 17-09-2004 02:13 AM

If you are ever in Ft. Worth, there is a store just a block or two north of
downtown called "Pendrey's" (I think). It's expensive but it has virtually
every variety of hot sauce that's made including a lot of haberno based
sauces. Tabasco has a haberno sauce that's not too bad. You can probably
figure out why they are so expensive. Do you remember the story about the
woman in Albuquerque that bought hot coffee at a McDonalds?

Uncle Bob 17-09-2004 02:13 AM

BillB 17-09-2004 07:04 AM

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 14:03:55 -0700, Dan Abel wrote:

> Because many Mexican hot sauces are very similar? I like Tapatio, which
> isn't made in Mexico. It is very cheap, sometimes on sale for US$.50 for
> 5 oz, but a little less hot than Tabasco. My daughter likes Valentina,
> which is made in Mexico. It is very mild and very cheap. We (or she) pay
> about US$2.00 per quart. There are a number of other brands. We buy them
> at the local supermarket in the Mexican food section.

One of my local supermarkets carries three types of Valentina.
The only one I've tried, supposedly the hottest (it says "Extra Hot"
on the label) isn't as hot as Tabasco. Although the label claims
that it contains only chile peppers, it seemed to have a slight
tomato-ey taste. Not bad though, and inexpensive. To pass Tabasco
on the Scoville scale, I'd guess you could add about 1/2 oz. of
Dave's Insanity Sauce to a 12 1/2 oz. bottle of Valentina.

Another brand carried locally is El Yucateco. Their "Salsa Picante
de Chile Habanero" is hot, but their "Salsa Kutbil-ik de Chile
Habanero" (Original Mayan Recipe) is hotter still, and thicker,
almost a paste, compared to the others.

BillB 17-09-2004 07:04 AM

David Goldstein 26-09-2004 04:12 AM

LOU wrote:

<snipped>

> Soooo, if by odd chance does someone have a simple (meaning not a lot of
> ingredients and not expensive to make), I would appreciate it :)

A quick google search yiedled this result:

http://www.recipegoldmine.com/condiments/cond23.html

> THANKS!

David

PS: The Habanero Sauce that I buy comes from the carribean. The brand
is Encona and it is very, very good.

David Goldstein 26-09-2004 04:12 AM

<snipped>

David Goldstein 26-09-2004 04:12 AM

<snipped>

Old Magic1 18-01-2005 05:23 PM

"LOU" > wrote in message
> I love "Tabasco" pepper sauce on most types of meats, eggs but I refuse to
> pay the high price.
>
> Now the haberno pepper (even with seeds) suits my taste but I have

searched
> the net for a sauce very similar to the Tabasco sauce (I find lots of
> haberno sauces but not even remotely connected to the consistancy of
> Tabasco. Some have mayonise, some have other ingredients but nothing

simple
> like a pour on sauce (I hope I am clear).
>
> Soooo, if by odd chance does someone have a simple (meaning not a lot of
> ingredients and not expensive to make), I would appreciate it :)
>
> THANKS!

I have tried these and they are great with any type food. The Tabasco Hot
Sauce you speak of is from Louisiana and is aged several years before it is
placed on the market.

Salpicon de Chiles Habaneros (Yucatecan Table Sauce of Chiles Habaneros)

3 chiles habaneros or gueros, roasted
2 medium chiles xcatiks or 4 chiles serranos, roasted
4 green onions, finely chopped
Juice of 2 Seville (bitter) oranges or 1 grapefruit
Juice of 1 orange
Juice of 1 lime
20 sprigs of cilantro (coriander), chopped
Salt to taste
For the garnish
2 small limes, thinly sliced
20 sprigs cilantro, chopped
Slice chiles habaneros and xcatiks in thin strips, and place in a clay,
ceramic, or glass bowl. Add onion. Add Seville orange juice, orange juice,
lime juice, cilantro, and salt. Stir. Macerate for 2 hours.
Garnish with limes and cilantro. Serve with meat, Yucatecan specialties, and
fish.
Makes 1 cup.

From: "The Taste of Mexico", Patricia Quintana,

Habanero Pepper Sauce

12 Habanero chiles, stems removed, seeded and chopped
1 tsp. ground cayenne pepper
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbl. chili oil
1/2 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup lime juice

Sauté onion and garlic in oil until soft. Place mixture in blender with
chiles, and puree until smooth. Combine puree with vinegar and lime juice;
simmer 5 minutes to combine flavors. Put mixture into sterilized bottles and
seal.

Yield: 2 cups

Chili Oil

Makes 1 pint
Remove the stems and crush 12 Habanero peppers. Place in a medium bowl with
1 pint of olive oil. Stir, cover and let sit for at least 72 hours. Pour
through a fine-meshed sieve into a glass jar or bottle and cover.

--
Old Magic 1