RobinM

Default Empanada recipe request

HI

Several years ago, I was in Monterrey Mexico, and had potato empanadas.
Does anyone have a recipe, both for the outside dough (which I was
told had lard and coca cola in it), and for the filling? I'd greatly
appreciate it. These things were wonderful!!

RobinM
Alexandria, VA
Rolly

Empanadas come in two basic forms: Sweet made with flour and a sweet
filling, baked; and Meat made with corn masa with a meat or bean, etc
filling, fried.

To see a picture story of making both, go he
http://rollybrook.com/Page%20Directory.htm#Kitchen

pulido

"Rolly" > schreef in bericht
om...
> Empanadas come in two basic forms: Sweet made with flour and a sweet
> filling, baked; and Meat made with corn masa with a meat or bean, etc
> filling, fried.
>
> To see a picture story of making both, go he
> http://rollybrook.com/Page%20Directory.htm#Kitchen

with corn masa and any filling and fried is called quesadilla! (at least
in mexico city)

jose luis

pulido

"Rolly" > schreef in bericht
om...
> Empanadas come in two basic forms: Sweet made with flour and a sweet
> filling, baked; and Meat made with corn masa with a meat or bean, etc
> filling, fried.
>
> To see a picture story of making both, go he
> http://rollybrook.com/Page%20Directory.htm#Kitchen

with corn masa and any filling and fried is called quesadilla! (at least
in mexico city)

jose luis

pulido

"Rolly" > schreef in bericht
om...
> Empanadas come in two basic forms: Sweet made with flour and a sweet
> filling, baked; and Meat made with corn masa with a meat or bean, etc
> filling, fried.
>
> To see a picture story of making both, go he
> http://rollybrook.com/Page%20Directory.htm#Kitchen

with corn masa and any filling and fried is called quesadilla! (at least
in mexico city)

jose luis

Charles Gifford

"pulido" > wrote in message

> "Rolly" > schreef in bericht
> om...
> > Empanadas come in two basic forms: Sweet made with flour and a sweet
> > filling, baked; and Meat made with corn masa with a meat or bean, etc
> > filling, fried.
> >
> > To see a picture story of making both, go he
> > http://rollybrook.com/Page%20Directory.htm#Kitchen

> with corn masa and any filling and fried is called quesadilla! (at least
> in mexico city)
>
> jose luis

That's interesting. What is an empanada in Mexico City?

Charlie

pulido

"Charles Gifford" > schreef in bericht
ink.net...

> "pulido" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Rolly" > schreef in bericht
> > om...
> > > Empanadas come in two basic forms: Sweet made with flour and a sweet
> > > filling, baked; and Meat made with corn masa with a meat or bean, etc
> > > filling, fried.
> > >
> > > To see a picture story of making both, go he
> > > http://rollybrook.com/Page%20Directory.htm#Kitchen

> > with corn masa and any filling and fried is called quesadilla! (at

least
> > in mexico city)
> >
> > jose luis

> That's interesting. What is an empanada in Mexico City?
>
> Charlie

the difference is that quesadilla is made of corn masa and empanada with
wheat masa, empanada can be fried or baked, quesadilla is always fried.
in mexico city are the empanadas from argentina very popular

jl

Charles Gifford

"pulido" > wrote in message

> "Charles Gifford" > schreef in bericht
> ink.net...
> >
> > "pulido" > wrote in message
> > >
> > > "Rolly" > schreef in bericht
> > > om...

sweet

etc

> > > with corn masa and any filling and fried is called quesadilla! (at

> least
> > > in mexico city)
> > >
> > > jose luis

> > That's interesting. What is an empanada in Mexico City?
> >
> > Charlie

> the difference is that quesadilla is made of corn masa and empanada with
> wheat masa, empanada can be fried or baked, quesadilla is always fried.
> in mexico city are the empanadas from argentina very popular
>

> jl

Thanks! I understand now. Thank you for making it clear to me.

Charlie

pulido

"Rolly" > schreef in bericht
om...
> Empanadas come in two basic forms: Sweet made with flour and a sweet
> filling, baked; and Meat made with corn masa with a meat or bean, etc
> filling, fried.
>
> To see a picture story of making both, go he
> http://rollybrook.com/Page%20Directory.htm#Kitchen

what you called meat masa empanada is what a lot of people know as
quesadilla!

jl

pulido

"Rolly" > schreef in bericht
om...
> Empanadas come in two basic forms: Sweet made with flour and a sweet
> filling, baked; and Meat made with corn masa with a meat or bean, etc
> filling, fried.
>
> To see a picture story of making both, go he
> http://rollybrook.com/Page%20Directory.htm#Kitchen

what you called meat masa empanada is what a lot of people know as
quesadilla!

jl

Chef R. W. Miller

Potato and Chorizo Empanadas

3 to 4 waxy red or white potatoes (about 1/2 pound), peeled and sliced
1 teaspoon salt
1 pound chorizo sausage, casing removed
1 Spanish onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup chicken broth
12 large pimiento-stuffed green olives, chopped
1/2 cup golden raisins
1 recipe empanada dough, recipe follows

Put the potatoes in a large pot and cover with cold water; add the salt and
bring to a boil, uncovered. Simmer until fork tender, about 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, place a large skillet over medium flame. Add the chorizo, and
cook, stirring for 5 minutes, until the sausage renders its fat and gets
crispy.

Add the onion and garlic; season with the cumin, oregano, salt, and pepper.
Cook and stir for 5 minutes, until the mixture is soft and has a beautiful
red color.

Pour in the broth and simmer for 3 minutes.

Drain the potatoes and fold them into the pan, using a wooden spoon, break
up the potatoes into nickel-size pieces.

Add the olives and raisins and toss everything together; season with salt
and pepper, to taste.

Allow the filling to cool before filling the empanadas.

Serve with cilantro cream.

Empanada Dough:

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup masa harina
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 large egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water, for egg wash.
Butter, for greasing the pans.

In a large bowl, sift together the flour, masa harina, baking powder, and
salt. Stir in the melted butter. Gradually add 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup of water,
working it in with your hands to incorporate; the dough should be easy to
handle and not sticky. Form the dough into a ball, wrap it in plastic, and
chill for 30 minutes.

Lightly flour your rolling pin and counter. Divide the dough in 1/2 so it
will be easier to work with and roll it out to 1/8-inch thickness. Using a
4-inch cookie or biscuit cutter, cut out 10 circles of dough; repeat with
the other 1/2.
Spoon 2 generous tablespoons of filling into the center of each pastry
circle, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Brush the edges with the egg wash and
then fold the dough over in 1/2 to enclose the filling and form a
semi-circle.

Tightly seal the edges by crimping with the tines of a fork. Chill at least
30 minutes before baking.

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

Place the empanadas on a buttered baking sheet and brush the tops with
additional egg wash. Using a fork, prick a few holes in the top of the
empanadas for steam to escape.

Bake for 30 minutes, until the pastry is golden brown.

Cilantro Cream:

1 cup sour cream
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
1/2 lime, juiced
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
In a small mixing bowl, combine the sour cream, cilantro, and lime juice
together. Mix thoroughly; season with salt and pepper. Serve with empanadas.
Yield: 1 cup

Enjoy
Chef R.W. Miller
Marriott Resorts & Hotels
"RobinM" > wrote in message
> HI
>
> Several years ago, I was in Monterrey Mexico, and had potato empanadas.
> Does anyone have a recipe, both for the outside dough (which I was
> told had lard and coca cola in it), and for the filling? I'd greatly
> appreciate it. These things were wonderful!!
>
> RobinM
> Alexandria, VA

Chef R. W. Miller

"RobinM" > wrote in message
> HI
>
> Several years ago, I was in Monterrey Mexico, and had potato empanadas.
> Does anyone have a recipe, both for the outside dough (which I was
> told had lard and coca cola in it), and for the filling? I'd greatly
> appreciate it. These things were wonderful!!
>
> RobinM
> Alexandria, VA

Pic of first Jamaican Empanada with recipe piedmont General Cooking 8 28-07-2010 02:43 PM
Recipe request Kswck General Cooking 13 13-06-2009 12:54 PM
Easy Empanada Recipe camrodri Sourdough 0 13-04-2009 04:00 PM
Easy Empanada Recipe camrodri Recipes 0 13-04-2009 03:59 PM
Empanada recipe Abaldwin + General Cooking 8 19-02-2006 01:36 PM