FoodBanter.com

-   Mexican Cooking (https://www.foodbanter.com/mexican-cooking/)
-   -   Question about ground beef used in tacos (https://www.foodbanter.com/mexican-cooking/33399-question-about-ground-beef.html)

Rut 03-09-2004 03:56 PM

Question about ground beef used in tacos

If you visit you favorite Mexican eatery and order a beef taco, you'll
notice that the ground beef of of small uniform size. Very small beef
granules. Can someone tell me how this is accomplished. It never looks
like that when you brown mean in a fry pan.

Thanks
Rut

BillB 03-09-2004 07:18 PM

On 3 Sep 2004 07:56:30 -0700, Rut wrote:

> If you visit you favorite Mexican eatery and order a beef taco, you'll
> notice that the ground beef of of small uniform size. Very small beef
> granules. Can someone tell me how this is accomplished. It never looks
> like that when you brown mean in a fry pan.

I get the uniformly small meat particles by starting to chop it
repeatedly with a spatula before the meat has had a chance to
cook/set. I imagine it's the coating of beef fat that keeps the
particles from clumping back into larger pieces.

BillB 03-09-2004 07:18 PM

Dan Abel 03-09-2004 09:36 PM

In article >,
(Rut) wrote:

> If you visit you favorite Mexican eatery and order a beef taco, you'll
> notice that the ground beef of of small uniform size. Very small beef
> granules. Can someone tell me how this is accomplished. It never looks
> like that when you brown mean in a fry pan.

Most of the Mexican restaurants around here don't use much ground beef.
Very few people order it. I did see one place cooking it, though. They
dumped a frozen 5 pound chunk of ground beef into boiling water. I've
used this technique many times in making Cincie-style chili. It makes
ground beef the way you describe.

--
Dan Abel
Sonoma State University

Dan Abel 03-09-2004 09:36 PM

David Wright 03-09-2004 10:07 PM

(Rut) wrote:

>> If you visit you favorite Mexican eatery and order a beef taco, you'll
>> notice that the ground beef of of small uniform size. Very small beef
>> granules. Can someone tell me how this is accomplished. It never looks
>> like that when you brown mean in a fry pan.

>Most of the Mexican restaurants around here don't use much ground beef.
>Very few people order it. I did see one place cooking it, though. They
>dumped a frozen 5 pound chunk of ground beef into boiling water. I've
>used this technique many times in making Cincie-style chili. It makes
>ground beef the way you describe.

OOF! That technique leads to boiling the flavor out of the meat.

Instead, try roasting the meat until you can shred it with two forks,
or in your fingers. I think you'll like it. Use either beef or pork
shoulder.

David

David Wright 03-09-2004 10:07 PM

(Rut) wrote:

>> If you visit you favorite Mexican eatery and order a beef taco, you'll
>> notice that the ground beef of of small uniform size. Very small beef
>> granules. Can someone tell me how this is accomplished. It never looks
>> like that when you brown mean in a fry pan.

>Most of the Mexican restaurants around here don't use much ground beef.
>Very few people order it. I did see one place cooking it, though. They
>dumped a frozen 5 pound chunk of ground beef into boiling water. I've
>used this technique many times in making Cincie-style chili. It makes
>ground beef the way you describe.

OOF! That technique leads to boiling the flavor out of the meat.

Instead, try roasting the meat until you can shred it with two forks,
or in your fingers. I think you'll like it. Use either beef or pork
shoulder.

David

03-09-2004 10:19 PM

In article >,
says...

(Rut) wrote:

> > If you visit you favorite Mexican eatery and order a beef taco, you'll
> > notice that the ground beef of of small uniform size. Very small beef
> > granules. Can someone tell me how this is accomplished. It never looks
> > like that when you brown mean in a fry pan.

> Most of the Mexican restaurants around here don't use much ground beef.
> Very few people order it. I did see one place cooking it, though. They
> dumped a frozen 5 pound chunk of ground beef into boiling water. I've
> used this technique many times in making Cincie-style chili. It makes
> ground beef the way you describe.

Bingo. This is the way the cafeteria at the high school I went to way
back when prepared "hamburgers". They dumped ground beef into boiling
water, strained the resulting soup, then pressed an ice cream scoop full
of the stuff onto a burger bun. Ugh. The burgers were beyond bad, but
it was an efficient way to cook a bunch of ground beef without having to
manage a grill and all that entails, and the meat came out looking like
the original poster described. The ladies at the school cafeteria no
doubt used the leftover "broth" to make soup, gravy and who knows what
else.

Bob

03-09-2004 10:19 PM

In article >,
says...

Jim Lane 04-09-2004 02:39 AM

(Rut) wrote:

>>>If you visit you favorite Mexican eatery and order a beef taco, you'll
>>>notice that the ground beef of of small uniform size. Very small beef
>>>granules. Can someone tell me how this is accomplished. It never looks
>>>like that when you brown mean in a fry pan.

>>Most of the Mexican restaurants around here don't use much ground beef.
>>Very few people order it. I did see one place cooking it, though. They
>>dumped a frozen 5 pound chunk of ground beef into boiling water. I've
>>used this technique many times in making Cincie-style chili. It makes
>>ground beef the way you describe.

> OOF! That technique leads to boiling the flavor out of the meat.
>
> Instead, try roasting the meat until you can shred it with two forks,
> or in your fingers. I think you'll like it. Use either beef or pork
> shoulder.
>
> David

Aw shucks, just throw a couple of taco-seasoning flavor packets in the
water and the meat will not be flavorless.

jim

Jim Lane 04-09-2004 02:39 AM

Auntie Em 04-09-2004 08:49 AM

On 3 Sep 2004 07:56:30 -0700, (Rut) wrote:

>If you visit you favorite Mexican eatery and order a beef taco, you'll
>notice that the ground beef of of small uniform size. Very small beef
>granules. Can someone tell me how this is accomplished. It never looks
>like that when you brown mean in a fry pan.
>
>Thanks
>Rut

I'd say you aren't fiddling with it enough while it cooks. I am
constantly messing with mine with a fork, breaking it apart, etc. It
drives my husband nuts when we have spaghetti because all the meat is
in teensy little pieces.

Em

The first half of our lives is ruined by our parents,
and the second half by our children.
--- Clarence Darrow
(make that YOUR children).

Auntie Em 04-09-2004 08:49 AM

maiggy 04-09-2004 06:32 PM

Rut,
When I cook it for tacos, enchiladas, picadillo or gorditas, I am constantly
stirring it and breaking it up with the cooking utensil I am using. I also
add the salt, comino, garlic, black pepper and a little chili powder early
on. Try not to use a really lean ground beef because it won't cook as well
and will still be bland even with the spices. Try an 85/15 ground beef,
remember, the pinker the ground is the more fat it has and it may vary from
package to package. Anyway, I also add chopped up green onions and
cilantro. I can't give you an exact measurement on the spices as I cook
like my mother and grandmothers, by sight and taste as most Hispanic
grandmothers do. I hope this helps.

Veronica in San Antonio
om...

Crone 05-09-2004 12:08 AM

Rut wrote:

> If you visit you favorite Mexican eatery and order a beef taco, you'll
> notice that the ground beef of of small uniform size. Very small beef
> granules. Can someone tell me how this is accomplished. It never looks
> like that when you brown mean in a fry pan.
>
> Thanks
> Rut

A good way is to use a large dutch oven type pan.
I put Olive oil in and them crumble the meat in with my fingers and then
stir it a lot unitl I have crumbles.
Then I add my onions and seasonings and a can of tomatoes that are diced
cover and cook very slowly for 4 hours or so.
Then I uncover it and let it dry out a bit before making the tacos.

Crone 05-09-2004 12:08 AM

Charles Gifford 05-09-2004 04:05 AM

"Jim Lane" > wrote in message
> David Wright wrote:
> > On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 13:36:30 -0700, (Dan Abel) wrote:

> >>Most of the Mexican restaurants around here don't use much ground beef.
> >>Very few people order it. I did see one place cooking it, though. They
> >>dumped a frozen 5 pound chunk of ground beef into boiling water. I've
> >>used this technique many times in making Cincie-style chili. It makes
> >>ground beef the way you describe.

> > OOF! That technique leads to boiling the flavor out of the meat.

Indeed, but it also lowers the fat content amazingly! ;-)

> > Instead, try roasting the meat until you can shred it with two forks,
> > or in your fingers. I think you'll like it. Use either beef or pork
> > shoulder.

Much better idea David. Sometimes though, ground beef is quick and easy.

> > David

> Aw shucks, just throw a couple of taco-seasoning flavor packets in the
> water and the meat will not be flavorless.
>

> jim

You know Jim, I have never understood the whole "taco-seasoning" thing. I
have never used it although I have tried it. Just don't get it I suppose. I
have always flavored my ground beef, when using it, with just garlic salt
and pepper. I add seasoning to the taco proper when I eat it.

The idea of finely separated meat bits sounds a lot like the stuff served at
Taco Bell. Nasty --- to me anyhow.

Charlie

Charles Gifford 05-09-2004 04:05 AM

Jim Lane 05-09-2004 05:17 AM

(Rut) wrote:

>>>OOF! That technique leads to boiling the flavor out of the meat.

> Indeed, but it also lowers the fat content amazingly! ;-)
>

>>>Instead, try roasting the meat until you can shred it with two forks,
>>>or in your fingers. I think you'll like it. Use either beef or pork
>>>shoulder.

> Much better idea David. Sometimes though, ground beef is quick and easy.
>

>>>David

>>Aw shucks, just throw a couple of taco-seasoning flavor packets in the
>>water and the meat will not be flavorless.
>>

>>jim

> You know Jim, I have never understood the whole "taco-seasoning" thing. I
> have never used it although I have tried it. Just don't get it I suppose. I
> have always flavored my ground beef, when using it, with just garlic salt
> and pepper. I add seasoning to the taco proper when I eat it.
>
> The idea of finely separated meat bits sounds a lot like the stuff served at
> Taco Bell. Nasty --- to me anyhow.
>
> Charlie

Agreed, Charlie, but if someone is concerned with flavorless and can't
figure out to add a few things like salt, pepper, onion, garlic, chili
powder. . .

jim

Jim Lane 05-09-2004 05:17 AM

David Wright 05-09-2004 03:35 PM

On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 21:17:29 -0700, Jim Lane >
wrote:

>Charles Gifford wrote:
>
>> You know Jim, I have never understood the whole "taco-seasoning" thing. I
>> have never used it although I have tried it. Just don't get it I suppose. I
>> have always flavored my ground beef, when using it, with just garlic salt
>> and pepper. I add seasoning to the taco proper when I eat it.
>>
>> The idea of finely separated meat bits sounds a lot like the stuff served at
>> Taco Bell. Nasty --- to me anyhow.
>>
>> Charlie
>>

>Agreed, Charlie, but if someone is concerned with flavorless and can't
>figure out to add a few things like salt, pepper, onion, garlic, chili
>powder. . .
>
>jim

My personal preference is to have meat that tastes like full-flavored
meat (and also has the texture of meat) and then add flavor components
that supplement the meat flavor.

I don't understand the taco-seasoning thing either. I much prefer to
add salt and spices ( and herbs) individually so I know quality of
what I'm adding and can choose the proportions I like. Obviously,
other peoples' milage varies on this or there wouldn't be a market for
such seasoning packets.

David

David Wright 05-09-2004 03:35 PM

David Wright 05-09-2004 03:35 PM

dejablues 05-09-2004 09:19 PM

Rut wrote:

> If you visit you favorite Mexican eatery and order a beef taco, you'll
> notice that the ground beef of of small uniform size. Very small beef
> granules. Can someone tell me how this is accomplished. It never looks
> like that when you brown mean in a fry pan.
>
> Thanks
> Rut

I mash it with a potato masher while it's cooking.

dejablues 05-09-2004 09:19 PM