Old 06-09-2004, 01:09 PM
Jos? Mar?a Aznar

wrote in message .. .
Sounds like you're going about things in the right way. Aside from the
"threat" of McD that kind of looms over any small fast food business
anywhere in the world, your more immediate concern is probably much more
local. When your concept takes off, it's a virtual given that the
competition will copy it. Any "intellectual property" protection you
can get for yourself up front is just plain smart business.

Well, whaddya know... a friend of mine bought me a Brazilian gossip
magazine this week featuring this company: http://www.wraps.com.br/,
apparently a very well-financed operation that has opened five units
in the past year and a half around São Paulo. They're now expanding to
Rio de Janeiro, Brasília, and Belo Horizonte-- northward, instead of
down here. They've even copyrighted the word "wraps". But they charge
about three times what I'll be charging, probably due to their food
court locations. I hate food courts and will probably never open in
one-- they're so plastic and overpriced. Well, there are a lot more
people in SP with the spending power to drop R$25 on lunch; here
people could barely pay half that, because the only local industry is
tourism. There are three new malls being built here, and it wouldn't
surprise me to see a Wraps(R!) open in one or two of them, but that
won't have much to do with my downtown operation.

JMA

Old 06-09-2004, 04:27 PM

In article , =20
says...
wrote in message =

s.com...
Sounds like you're going about things in the right way. Aside from the=

=20
"threat" of McD that kind of looms over any small fast food business=20
anywhere in the world, your more immediate concern is probably much mor=

e=20
local. When your concept takes off, it's a virtual given that the=20
competition will copy it. Any "intellectual property" protection you=

=20
can get for yourself up front is just plain smart business.

=20
Well, whaddya know... a friend of mine bought me a Brazilian gossip
magazine this week featuring this company:
http://www.wraps.com.br/,
apparently a very well-financed operation that has opened five units
in the past year and a half around S=E3o Paulo. They're now expanding to
Rio de Janeiro, Bras=EDlia, and Belo Horizonte-- northward, instead of
down here. They've even copyrighted the word "wraps". But they charge
about three times what I'll be charging, probably due to their food
court locations. I hate food courts and will probably never open in
one-- they're so plastic and overpriced. Well, there are a lot more
people in SP with the spending power to drop R$25 on lunch; here
people could barely pay half that, because the only local industry is
tourism. There are three new malls being built here, and it wouldn't
surprise me to see a Wraps(R!) open in one or two of them, but that
won't have much to do with my downtown operation.
=20
JMA
=20

Word for the day from that web site: