Fred

Default Speeding up the ripening of avocados

I'm looking for someone who knows first hand (not guessing or "I've
heard...") how much quicker a bag of avocados will ripen when a banana or
apple is put into the bag.

I have read that ethylene from apples or bananas will help speed up ripening
of various fruits. Problem is.... every posting I've read is "theory" --
no one has actually taken the time to compare the two and post the results
and I don't know anyone in the grocery bidness..... so here I am posting to
the world.

Some people say an apple works, some say a banana does the same thing. But
do you use a green apple, ripe apple, started-to-become-rotten apple, yellow
banana, black banana? Huh? Let's have some facts here, ma'am... just the
facts!

I already have a bag full with nothing else and a bag with an apple, and
will post my results... but in the mean time, I'd like to find out if they
are likely to ripen in 1 day, 2 days, 15 days, etc.

Thanks in advance!! And now.... let the posting begin!!

Fred

PS -- Here's a helpful post, and has some of the answers I'm looking for but
not all...

Search Result 2
From: Kathy Wilhelm )
Subject: The marvels of ethylene (was: Attack of the Killer Tomatoes
This is the only article in this thread
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: 1994-08-29 17:34:18 PST

In Article > (Stephani
Robson)" says:
> I seem to remember from Food Science days that oranges, tomatoes and some
> other fruits are exposed to ethane (??) which speeds the ripening.

Actually,
> I question whether the fruit is actually RIPER -- it appears that this

gassing
> brings on a riper color.....
>
> Ialso have dim memories of hearing that storing bananas with other
> unripe fruit will speed the ripening of said fruit due to the gases

released
> by the bananas as they rapidly ripen. Anyone know more about this? (I

don't
> have my handy On Food and Cooking by Harold McGee at the office....will

check
> at home.)

I guess it's time for me to play "plant expert" again . Good thing my
Horticulture 202 notes are still handy! The gas you referred to is
ethylene,
H\ /H
C=C
H/ \H
which is a naturally occurring plant growth regulator. Ethephon (mentioned
in one of the other posts on this thread) is a liquid that breaks down to
produce ethylene.
Because ethylene is a gas, it can be readily applied in
a closed area, which is possible during shipment & storage, but not in a
field. Ethylene induces a lot of things, depending on what the crop
is & when it's present.
With regard to ripening, there are two classes
of fruit. Climacteric fruit, notably tomatoes, apples and tropical fruits
(that's as specific as my notes are!), ripen in a burst. As they appoach the
time for ripening, they produce a lot of ethylene, which induces them to
produce even more, which causes them to ripen. If ethylene is added before
the plant produces its own, it can initiate the process.
Nonclimacteric fruit, such as citrus, cucumbers, grapes & peppers,
ripen more gradually and do not produce a burst of ethylene. Ethylene
treatment will cause them to "ripen" more quickly, but in this case, it's
primarily causing a color change. Oranges ripen slowly and gradually gain a
higher sugar content regardless of their color. Ethylene causes them to
turn orange, but doesn't alter sweetness. It will also cause cucumbers
to turn yellow.
Evidently, tomatoes are treated with ethephon (which breaks down
to produce ethylene) in the field so that the ripening process starts
earlier.
Once it's started, it is self-perpetuating. This means that all the fruit
in
the field begins rhe ripening process at the same time, so you get greater
uniformity of ripening. Thus you need less sorting, which means less
handling
& less bruising of the fruit. It also makes the harvesting procedure more
efficient because there's less unripe fruit to be either discarded or
harvested later.

I hope this isn't more than you bargained for!
Your fellow servant,
Kathy_|_

Wayne

"Fred" > wrote in
:

> I already have a bag full with nothing else and a bag with an apple,
> and will post my results... but in the mean time, I'd like to find out
> if they are likely to ripen in 1 day, 2 days, 15 days, etc.

Hard to tell. Sorta depends on how "unripe" the avocados are to begin
with. The unripe avocados one usually finds in the supermarket should
ripen in 2-3 days if placed in a paper bag with a ripe apple, pear, or
banana. Don't use half rotten fruit.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Wayne

"Fred" > wrote in
:

> I already have a bag full with nothing else and a bag with an apple,
> and will post my results... but in the mean time, I'd like to find out
> if they are likely to ripen in 1 day, 2 days, 15 days, etc.

Hard to tell. Sorta depends on how "unripe" the avocados are to begin
with. The unripe avocados one usually finds in the supermarket should
ripen in 2-3 days if placed in a paper bag with a ripe apple, pear, or
banana. Don't use half rotten fruit.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Peter Aitken

"Wayne" > wrote in message
> "Fred" > wrote in
> :
>
> > I already have a bag full with nothing else and a bag with an apple,
> > and will post my results... but in the mean time, I'd like to find out
> > if they are likely to ripen in 1 day, 2 days, 15 days, etc.
> >

> Hard to tell. Sorta depends on how "unripe" the avocados are to begin
> with. The unripe avocados one usually finds in the supermarket should
> ripen in 2-3 days if placed in a paper bag with a ripe apple, pear, or
> banana. Don't use half rotten fruit.

But in my experience they also ripen in 2-3 days without any help. I believe
that a ripe banana or apple does speed things up, but not by a lot. With a
banana it might take 2 days as opposed to 3 days without.

--
Peter Aitken

Peter Aitken

"Wayne" > wrote in message
> "Fred" > wrote in
> :
>
> > I already have a bag full with nothing else and a bag with an apple,
> > and will post my results... but in the mean time, I'd like to find out
> > if they are likely to ripen in 1 day, 2 days, 15 days, etc.
> >

> Hard to tell. Sorta depends on how "unripe" the avocados are to begin
> with. The unripe avocados one usually finds in the supermarket should
> ripen in 2-3 days if placed in a paper bag with a ripe apple, pear, or
> banana. Don't use half rotten fruit.

But in my experience they also ripen in 2-3 days without any help. I believe
that a ripe banana or apple does speed things up, but not by a lot. With a
banana it might take 2 days as opposed to 3 days without.

--
Peter Aitken

Peter Aitken

"Wayne" > wrote in message
> "Fred" > wrote in
> :
>
> > I already have a bag full with nothing else and a bag with an apple,
> > and will post my results... but in the mean time, I'd like to find out
> > if they are likely to ripen in 1 day, 2 days, 15 days, etc.
> >

> Hard to tell. Sorta depends on how "unripe" the avocados are to begin
> with. The unripe avocados one usually finds in the supermarket should
> ripen in 2-3 days if placed in a paper bag with a ripe apple, pear, or
> banana. Don't use half rotten fruit.

But in my experience they also ripen in 2-3 days without any help. I believe
that a ripe banana or apple does speed things up, but not by a lot. With a
banana it might take 2 days as opposed to 3 days without.

--
Peter Aitken

Peter Aitken

"Wayne" > wrote in message
> "Fred" > wrote in
> :
>
> > I already have a bag full with nothing else and a bag with an apple,
> > and will post my results... but in the mean time, I'd like to find out
> > if they are likely to ripen in 1 day, 2 days, 15 days, etc.
> >

> Hard to tell. Sorta depends on how "unripe" the avocados are to begin
> with. The unripe avocados one usually finds in the supermarket should
> ripen in 2-3 days if placed in a paper bag with a ripe apple, pear, or
> banana. Don't use half rotten fruit.

But in my experience they also ripen in 2-3 days without any help. I believe
that a ripe banana or apple does speed things up, but not by a lot. With a
banana it might take 2 days as opposed to 3 days without.

--
Peter Aitken

BillB

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 05:19:57 GMT, Fred wrote:

> Some people say an apple works, some say a banana does the same thing. But
> do you use a green apple, ripe apple, started-to-become-rotten apple, yellow
> banana, black banana? Huh? Let's have some facts here, ma'am... just the
> facts!

No facts, but some questions instead. If ethylene gas works, what
is the minimum concentration needed to ripen effectively (if
avocados are among the fruits that it is effective with), would one
apple suffice or would many be needed? How permeable to ethylene is
a paper bag? Would a plastic bag or container retain the gas longer
at a higher concentration? I doubt that light/dark cycles would
matter but temperature might. Be prepared to run dozens of
experiments and have lots of chips and a good guacamole recipe

Some time ago - it might be 20 years or more - I read about the
effectiveness of ethylene on tomato ripening. As they were shipped
to markets in railroad boxcars, ethylene gas was introduced.
According to the article the primary effect was to redden the
immature fruit, without actually ripening anything. The packers got
what they wanted. Red, firm fruit still hard enough to resist the
bruising that accompanies handling and shipping, but lacking the
better taste produced by natural ripening. The article might have
been one of John McPhee's written for the New Yorker on
greengrocers. For a moment I thought that I could provide you with
a ready source of ethylene, but I was mistaken. When you add water
to calcium carbide it produces acetylene instead. Not very useful
unless you want to shoot the fruit from a cannon.

BillB

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 05:19:57 GMT, Fred wrote:

> Some people say an apple works, some say a banana does the same thing. But
> do you use a green apple, ripe apple, started-to-become-rotten apple, yellow
> banana, black banana? Huh? Let's have some facts here, ma'am... just the
> facts!

No facts, but some questions instead. If ethylene gas works, what
is the minimum concentration needed to ripen effectively (if
avocados are among the fruits that it is effective with), would one
apple suffice or would many be needed? How permeable to ethylene is
a paper bag? Would a plastic bag or container retain the gas longer
at a higher concentration? I doubt that light/dark cycles would
matter but temperature might. Be prepared to run dozens of
experiments and have lots of chips and a good guacamole recipe

Some time ago - it might be 20 years or more - I read about the
effectiveness of ethylene on tomato ripening. As they were shipped
to markets in railroad boxcars, ethylene gas was introduced.
According to the article the primary effect was to redden the
immature fruit, without actually ripening anything. The packers got
what they wanted. Red, firm fruit still hard enough to resist the
bruising that accompanies handling and shipping, but lacking the
better taste produced by natural ripening. The article might have
been one of John McPhee's written for the New Yorker on
greengrocers. For a moment I thought that I could provide you with
a ready source of ethylene, but I was mistaken. When you add water
to calcium carbide it produces acetylene instead. Not very useful
unless you want to shoot the fruit from a cannon.

Kay Lancaster

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 05:19:57 GMT, Fred > wrote:
> I'm looking for someone who knows first hand (not guessing or "I've
> heard...") how much quicker a bag of avocados will ripen when a banana or
> apple is put into the bag.

http://postharvest.ucdavis.edu/Produ.../avocado.shtml
http://www.tis-gdv.de/tis_e/misc/allelo.htm

Kay Lancaster

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 05:19:57 GMT, Fred > wrote:
> I'm looking for someone who knows first hand (not guessing or "I've
> heard...") how much quicker a bag of avocados will ripen when a banana or
> apple is put into the bag.

http://postharvest.ucdavis.edu/Produ.../avocado.shtml
http://www.tis-gdv.de/tis_e/misc/allelo.htm
Say not the Struggle nought Availeth

See The Curious Cook: More Kitchen Science and Lore
by Harold McGee

j.

Fred wrote:
> [...]

> higher sugar content regardless of their color. Ethylene causes them to
> turn orange, but doesn't alter sweetness. It will also cause cucumbers
> to turn yellow.
> Evidently, tomatoes are treated with ethephon (which breaks down
> to produce ethylene) in the field so that the ripening process starts
> earlier.
> Once it's started, it is self-perpetuating. This means that all the fruit
> in
> the field begins rhe ripening process at the same time, so you get greater
> uniformity of ripening. Thus you need less sorting, which means less
> handling
> & less bruising of the fruit. It also makes the harvesting procedure more
> efficient because there's less unripe fruit to be either discarded or
> harvested later.
>
> I hope this isn't more than you bargained for!

Fred

Real world update...

I picked about 40 pounds of green avocados on Tuesday and put them in
plastic bags, 6-8 per bag, and then put an apple and a banana in each bag
with the avocados. Then I left them out on a patio table in part sun. Temp
has been around 75F day, 65F night. (It's been unusually cold this year.)

It is now Thursday, and I opened them all and saw that most were just
starting to turn black, although not that much. Plus they are all still
rock hard. Will check again tomorrow and report back!

"Say not the Struggle nought Availeth" > wrote in message
m...
> [...]

> > to turn yellow.
> > Evidently, tomatoes are treated with ethephon (which breaks down
> > to produce ethylene) in the field so that the ripening process starts
> > earlier.
> > Once it's started, it is self-perpetuating. This means that all the

fruit
> > in
> > the field begins rhe ripening process at the same time, so you get

greater
> > uniformity of ripening. Thus you need less sorting, which means less
> > handling
> > & less bruising of the fruit. It also makes the harvesting procedure

more
> > efficient because there's less unripe fruit to be either discarded or
> > harvested later.
> >
> > I hope this isn't more than you bargained for!

Fred

> [...]

> > to turn yellow.
> > Evidently, tomatoes are treated with ethephon (which breaks down
> > to produce ethylene) in the field so that the ripening process starts
> > earlier.
> > Once it's started, it is self-perpetuating. This means that all the

fruit
> > in
> > the field begins rhe ripening process at the same time, so you get

greater
> > uniformity of ripening. Thus you need less sorting, which means less
> > handling
> > & less bruising of the fruit. It also makes the harvesting procedure

more
> > efficient because there's less unripe fruit to be either discarded or
> > harvested later.
> >
> > I hope this isn't more than you bargained for!

Thomas

I seem to remember hearing/reading something about "submerging" unripe
avocados in all purpose flour to hasten ripening. 40 POUNDS of avocados!?
Man that is one heck of a guacamole salad!
"Fred" > wrote in message
> [...]

cucumbers
> > > to turn yellow.
> > > Evidently, tomatoes are treated with ethephon (which breaks down
> > > to produce ethylene) in the field so that the ripening process starts
> > > earlier.
> > > Once it's started, it is self-perpetuating. This means that all the

> fruit
> > > in
> > > the field begins rhe ripening process at the same time, so you get

> greater
> > > uniformity of ripening. Thus you need less sorting, which means less
> > > handling
> > > & less bruising of the fruit. It also makes the harvesting procedure

> more
> > > efficient because there's less unripe fruit to be either discarded or
> > > harvested later.
> > >
> > > I hope this isn't more than you bargained for!

Thomas

"Fred" > wrote in message
> [...]

cucumbers
> > > to turn yellow.
> > > Evidently, tomatoes are treated with ethephon (which breaks down
> > > to produce ethylene) in the field so that the ripening process starts
> > > earlier.
> > > Once it's started, it is self-perpetuating. This means that all the

> fruit
> > > in
> > > the field begins rhe ripening process at the same time, so you get

> greater
> > > uniformity of ripening. Thus you need less sorting, which means less
> > > handling
> > > & less bruising of the fruit. It also makes the harvesting procedure

> more
> > > efficient because there's less unripe fruit to be either discarded or
> > > harvested later.
> > >
> > > I hope this isn't more than you bargained for!

Art Sackett

In alt.food.mexican-cooking Fred > wrote:
> Real world update...
>
> I picked about 40 pounds of green avocados on Tuesday and put them in
> plastic bags, 6-8 per bag, and then put an apple and a banana in each bag
> with the avocados. Then I left them out on a patio table in part sun. Temp
> has been around 75F day, 65F night. (It's been unusually cold this year.)

I'd be curious to know what happens if you also do a trial with an
onion in a bag of 'em. Whenever I have fruit that want to ripen
quickly, I put it near onions.

I had a wife once who liked to store the onions and potatoes together.
My spuds keep a lot longer since I got rid of her.

--
Art Sackett,
Patron Saint of Drunken Fornication
maiggy

To all:
Here are the facts sir, just the facts. (no pun intended)

California Avocado Commission
http://www.avocado.org/avocado-facts...-selection.php

a.. To ripen a California avocado, place the fruit in a plain brown paper
bag and store at room temperature until ready to eat (usually two to five
days).
b.. Including an apple or banana in the bag accelerates the process
because these fruits give off ethylene gas, a ripening reagent.
c.. Ripe fruit can be refrigerated until it is eaten, but not for more
than two or three days.
d.. The California Avocado Commission does not recommend using a microwave
to accelerate the ripening process
Click the link above and you'll get all sorts of info on avocados as well as
recipes. Hope this clears up things and dispells myths.

"Fred" > wrote in message
> [...]

> higher sugar content regardless of their color. Ethylene causes them to
> turn orange, but doesn't alter sweetness. It will also cause cucumbers
> to turn yellow.
> Evidently, tomatoes are treated with ethephon (which breaks down
> to produce ethylene) in the field so that the ripening process starts
> earlier.
> Once it's started, it is self-perpetuating. This means that all the fruit
> in
> the field begins rhe ripening process at the same time, so you get greater
> uniformity of ripening. Thus you need less sorting, which means less
> handling
> & less bruising of the fruit. It also makes the harvesting procedure more
> efficient because there's less unripe fruit to be either discarded or
> harvested later.
>
> I hope this isn't more than you bargained for!

Attached Thumbnails
Speeding up the ripening of avocados-selecting_2.gif
maiggy

"Fred" > wrote in message
> [...]

> Evidently, tomatoes are treated with ethephon (which breaks down
> to produce ethylene) in the field so that the ripening process starts
> earlier.
> Once it's started, it is self-perpetuating. This means that all the fruit
> in
> the field begins rhe ripening process at the same time, so you get greater
> uniformity of ripening. Thus you need less sorting, which means less
> handling
> & less bruising of the fruit. It also makes the harvesting procedure more
> efficient because there's less unripe fruit to be either discarded or
> harvested later.
>
> I hope this isn't more than you bargained for!
> Your fellow servant,
> Kathy_|_

Attached Thumbnails
Speeding up the ripening of avocados-selecting_2.gif

Wayne

"maiggy" > wrote in news:aLAVc.3947$v86.1729
@fe2.texas.rr.com:

> begin 666 selecting_2.gif
> `
> end

PLEASE do not attach binary files to your posts. This is a text-only NG.

Thanks!

--
Wayne in Phoenix

unmunge as w-e-b

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Wayne

"maiggy" > wrote in news:aLAVc.3947$v86.1729
@fe2.texas.rr.com:

> begin 666 selecting_2.gif
> `
> end

PLEASE do not attach binary files to your posts. This is a text-only NG.

Thanks!

--
Wayne in Phoenix

unmunge as w-e-b

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.

Faster Than A Speeding Blender. . . . Brooklyn1 General Cooking 0 01-03-2015 02:25 PM
speeding up soakers + two or more other questions Richard Hollenbeck Baking 2 09-03-2007 05:29 PM
Speeding Kiwis Sheldon General Cooking 0 22-03-2006 11:39 PM
Joke Du Jour 03-12-06. Speeding tickets OmManiPadmeOmelet General Cooking 4 12-03-2006 06:07 PM
Speeding up the ripening of avocados Fred General Cooking 19 21-08-2004 07:16 AM