SonoranDude

Default What to do with all these habeneros?

Been awhile since I have posted anything but I'm looking for some
suggestions. All my habeneros' are starting to turn orange now and looking
for suggestions on what to do with them since this is the first time I've
grown them.
I have no problem finding things to do with my jalapenos and long greens.

There was a taco bar in mexico that had a bright orange habenero sauce that
was hot as hell but tasty. My gardener mentioned something about cooking
with tomatoes and straining the seeds out.
I have plenty of tomatoes too.

Your suggestions?

Brad

Jim Lane

SonoranDude wrote:
> Been awhile since I have posted anything but I'm looking for some
> suggestions. All my habeneros' are starting to turn orange now and looking
> for suggestions on what to do with them since this is the first time I've
> grown them.
> I have no problem finding things to do with my jalapenos and long greens.
>
> There was a taco bar in mexico that had a bright orange habenero sauce that
> was hot as hell but tasty. My gardener mentioned something about cooking
> with tomatoes and straining the seeds out.
> I have plenty of tomatoes too.
>
> Your suggestions?
>
> Brad

Almost anything you can do with jalapenos you can do with habaneros.
Adjust for the extra heat.

jim
Wayne Lundberg

"SonoranDude" > wrote in message
> Been awhile since I have posted anything but I'm looking for some
> suggestions. All my habeneros' are starting to turn orange now and looking
> for suggestions on what to do with them since this is the first time I've
> grown them.
> I have no problem finding things to do with my jalapenos and long greens.
>
> There was a taco bar in mexico that had a bright orange habenero sauce

that
> was hot as hell but tasty. My gardener mentioned something about cooking
> with tomatoes and straining the seeds out.
> I have plenty of tomatoes too.
>
> Your suggestions?
>
> Brad

Put some sliced carrots, onions, garlic and your habaneros into a pot with
water and a bit of vinegar and bring to a quick boil then turn off the heat.
Bottle in a Kerr jar and boil the jar. Seal it. Store it and use it as
required. Once opened, keep the jar in the fridge. You will only need a
spoonfull of this dynamite stuff any time you use it. It's the hottest
concoction on earth.

Wayne

John Droge

"SonoranDude" > wrote in message
> Been awhile since I have posted anything but I'm looking for some
> suggestions. All my habeneros' are starting to turn orange now and looking
> for suggestions on what to do with them since this is the first time I've
> grown them.
> I have no problem finding things to do with my jalapenos and long greens.
>
> There was a taco bar in mexico that had a bright orange habenero sauce

that
> was hot as hell but tasty. My gardener mentioned something about cooking
> with tomatoes and straining the seeds out.
> I have plenty of tomatoes too.
>
> Your suggestions?
>
> Brad

Don't forget to dry some (most?) for the winter.
John

Orchidguy

Try making jamaican hot sauce ,
Habeneros
Tomatoes
Garlic
Thyme
Allspice berries
Black pepper
Salt
Vinegar
And a little sugar to balance it out.
I'd make a small batch for testing , if you like the combinations of spices
, make a big batch and bottle it
and I didnt give measurements its pretty basic to figure out ......use your
own judgement
Good Eats
Todd
"SonoranDude" > wrote in message
> Been awhile since I have posted anything but I'm looking for some
> suggestions. All my habeneros' are starting to turn orange now and looking
> for suggestions on what to do with them since this is the first time I've
> grown them.
> I have no problem finding things to do with my jalapenos and long greens.
>
> There was a taco bar in mexico that had a bright orange habenero sauce

that
> was hot as hell but tasty. My gardener mentioned something about cooking
> with tomatoes and straining the seeds out.
> I have plenty of tomatoes too.
>
> Your suggestions?
>
> Brad

SonoranDude

Great ideas... especially the jamaican hot sauce... I was hoping someone had
a clue on the orange sauce from Mexico. I'm want to smoke a few over hickory
and mix with ripe to make a garlic based sauce but not sure how appealing
the color will be. I love to experiment.

Thanks for the ideas,
Brad

"SonoranDude" > wrote in message
> Been awhile since I have posted anything but I'm looking for some
> suggestions. All my habeneros' are starting to turn orange now and looking
> for suggestions on what to do with them since this is the first time I've
> grown them.
> I have no problem finding things to do with my jalapenos and long greens.
>
> There was a taco bar in mexico that had a bright orange habenero sauce

that
> was hot as hell but tasty. My gardener mentioned something about cooking
> with tomatoes and straining the seeds out.
> I have plenty of tomatoes too.
>
> Your suggestions?
>
> Brad

Jim Lane

SonoranDude wrote:
> Great ideas... especially the jamaican hot sauce... I was hoping someone had
> a clue on the orange sauce from Mexico. I'm want to smoke a few over hickory
> and mix with ripe to make a garlic based sauce but not sure how appealing
> the color will be. I love to experiment.
>
> Thanks for the ideas,
> Brad
>

> "SonoranDude" > wrote in message
>
>>Been awhile since I have posted anything but I'm looking for some
>>suggestions. All my habeneros' are starting to turn orange now and looking
>>for suggestions on what to do with them since this is the first time I've
>>grown them.
>>I have no problem finding things to do with my jalapenos and long greens.
>>
>>There was a taco bar in mexico that had a bright orange habenero sauce

> that
>
>>was hot as hell but tasty. My gardener mentioned something about cooking
>>with tomatoes and straining the seeds out.
>>I have plenty of tomatoes too.
>>
>>Your suggestions?
>>
>>Brad

The orange sauce is usually from the inclusion of carrots (pureed).

jim

newsuser

In article >,
SonoranDude > wrote:
>Been awhile since I have posted anything but I'm looking for some
>suggestions. All my habeneros' are starting to turn orange now and looking
>for suggestions on what to do with them since this is the first time I've
>grown them.
>I have no problem finding things to do with my jalapenos and long greens.
>
>There was a taco bar in mexico that had a bright orange habenero sauce that
>was hot as hell but tasty. My gardener mentioned something about cooking
>with tomatoes and straining the seeds out.
>I have plenty of tomatoes too.
>
>Your suggestions?

Hi Brad. Fire up some xni-pec. (Maya Style pico de Gallo) I learned to
make this from some cooks in the state of Quintana Roo back in 1989.
It scales well, and man is it good! I usually double the amounts shown
when I make it, which I'm am going to do today. Serve with Fritos or
Tostadas.

Xni-Pec

2 Habanero Chilies
Juice of one small lime (Persian-golf ball size or 2 key limes)
1 C White onions diced
3 Roma Tomatoes seeds removed chopped fine
1 T Cilantro chopped very fine
1 t salt or to taste.
---- I add (not traditional, but I like the crunch---
1 Serrano seeded and diced fine

Stem the Chilies. Place them in a blender with the lime juice. (They
used to use a molcajete, but not any more) Blend untill there are no
chunks of Habanero left.
Add the Habaneros to the rest of the ingredients. Let sit for on hour at
room temp to cure. Mmmm Mmmm

Enjoy

>Brad

newsuser

In article >,
SonoranDude > wrote:
>Been awhile since I have posted anything but I'm looking for some
>suggestions. All my habeneros' are starting to turn orange now and looking
>for suggestions on what to do with them since this is the first time I've
>grown them.
>I have no problem finding things to do with my jalapenos and long greens.
>
>There was a taco bar in mexico that had a bright orange habenero sauce that
>was hot as hell but tasty. My gardener mentioned something about cooking
>with tomatoes and straining the seeds out.
>I have plenty of tomatoes too.
>
>Your suggestions?

Hi Brad. Fire up some xni-pec. (Maya Style pico de Gallo) I learned to
make this from some cooks in the state of Quintana Roo back in 1989.
It scales well, and man is it good! I usually double the amounts shown
when I make it, which I'm am going to do today. Serve with Fritos or
Tostadas.

Xni-Pec

2 Habanero Chilies
Juice of one small lime (Persian-golf ball size or 2 key limes)
1 C White onions diced
3 Roma Tomatoes seeds removed chopped fine
1 T Cilantro chopped very fine
1 t salt or to taste.
---- I add (not traditional, but I like the crunch---
1 Serrano seeded and diced fine

Stem the Chilies. Place them in a blender with the lime juice. (They
used to use a molcajete, but not any more) Blend untill there are no
chunks of Habanero left.
Add the Habaneros to the rest of the ingredients. Let sit for on hour at
room temp to cure. Mmmm Mmmm

Enjoy

>Brad

Wayne Lundberg

"newsuser" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> SonoranDude > wrote:
> >Been awhile since I have posted anything but I'm looking for some
> >suggestions. All my habeneros' are starting to turn orange now and

looking
> >for suggestions on what to do with them since this is the first time I've
> >grown them.
> >I have no problem finding things to do with my jalapenos and long greens.
> >
> >There was a taco bar in mexico that had a bright orange habenero sauce

that
> >was hot as hell but tasty. My gardener mentioned something about cooking
> >with tomatoes and straining the seeds out.
> >I have plenty of tomatoes too.
> >
> >Your suggestions?

> Hi Brad. Fire up some xni-pec. (Maya Style pico de Gallo) I learned to
> make this from some cooks in the state of Quintana Roo back in 1989.
> It scales well, and man is it good! I usually double the amounts shown
> when I make it, which I'm am going to do today. Serve with Fritos or
> Tostadas.
>
> Xni-Pec
>

> 2 Habanero Chilies
> Juice of one small lime (Persian-golf ball size or 2 key limes)
> 1 C White onions diced
> 3 Roma Tomatoes seeds removed chopped fine
> 1 T Cilantro chopped very fine
> 1 t salt or to taste.
> ---- I add (not traditional, but I like the crunch---
> 1 Serrano seeded and diced fine
>
> Stem the Chilies. Place them in a blender with the lime juice. (They
> used to use a molcajete, but not any more) Blend untill there are no
> chunks of Habanero left.
> Add the Habaneros to the rest of the ingredients. Let sit for on hour at
> room temp to cure. Mmmm Mmmm
>
> Enjoy

On a scale of 0 to 10,000 the Xni-Pec is 12,000!

Wayne Lundberg

"newsuser" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> SonoranDude > wrote:
> >Been awhile since I have posted anything but I'm looking for some
> >suggestions. All my habeneros' are starting to turn orange now and

looking
> >for suggestions on what to do with them since this is the first time I've
> >grown them.
> >I have no problem finding things to do with my jalapenos and long greens.
> >
> >There was a taco bar in mexico that had a bright orange habenero sauce

that
> >was hot as hell but tasty. My gardener mentioned something about cooking
> >with tomatoes and straining the seeds out.
> >I have plenty of tomatoes too.
> >
> >Your suggestions?

> Hi Brad. Fire up some xni-pec. (Maya Style pico de Gallo) I learned to
> make this from some cooks in the state of Quintana Roo back in 1989.
> It scales well, and man is it good! I usually double the amounts shown
> when I make it, which I'm am going to do today. Serve with Fritos or
> Tostadas.
>
> Xni-Pec
>

> 2 Habanero Chilies
> Juice of one small lime (Persian-golf ball size or 2 key limes)
> 1 C White onions diced
> 3 Roma Tomatoes seeds removed chopped fine
> 1 T Cilantro chopped very fine
> 1 t salt or to taste.
> ---- I add (not traditional, but I like the crunch---
> 1 Serrano seeded and diced fine
>
> Stem the Chilies. Place them in a blender with the lime juice. (They
> used to use a molcajete, but not any more) Blend untill there are no
> chunks of Habanero left.
> Add the Habaneros to the rest of the ingredients. Let sit for on hour at
> room temp to cure. Mmmm Mmmm
>
> Enjoy

On a scale of 0 to 10,000 the Xni-Pec is 12,000!

Wayne Lundberg

"newsuser" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> SonoranDude > wrote:
> >Been awhile since I have posted anything but I'm looking for some
> >suggestions. All my habeneros' are starting to turn orange now and

looking
> >for suggestions on what to do with them since this is the first time I've
> >grown them.
> >I have no problem finding things to do with my jalapenos and long greens.
> >
> >There was a taco bar in mexico that had a bright orange habenero sauce

that
> >was hot as hell but tasty. My gardener mentioned something about cooking
> >with tomatoes and straining the seeds out.
> >I have plenty of tomatoes too.
> >
> >Your suggestions?

> Hi Brad. Fire up some xni-pec. (Maya Style pico de Gallo) I learned to
> make this from some cooks in the state of Quintana Roo back in 1989.
> It scales well, and man is it good! I usually double the amounts shown
> when I make it, which I'm am going to do today. Serve with Fritos or
> Tostadas.
>
> Xni-Pec
>

> 2 Habanero Chilies
> Juice of one small lime (Persian-golf ball size or 2 key limes)
> 1 C White onions diced
> 3 Roma Tomatoes seeds removed chopped fine
> 1 T Cilantro chopped very fine
> 1 t salt or to taste.
> ---- I add (not traditional, but I like the crunch---
> 1 Serrano seeded and diced fine
>
> Stem the Chilies. Place them in a blender with the lime juice. (They
> used to use a molcajete, but not any more) Blend untill there are no
> chunks of Habanero left.
> Add the Habaneros to the rest of the ingredients. Let sit for on hour at
> room temp to cure. Mmmm Mmmm
>
> Enjoy

On a scale of 0 to 10,000 the Xni-Pec is 12,000!

sf

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 06:39:19 -0700, "SonoranDude"
> wrote:

> Been awhile since I have posted anything but I'm looking for some
> suggestions. All my habeneros' are starting to turn orange now and looking
> for suggestions on what to do with them since this is the first time I've
> grown them.
> I have no problem finding things to do with my jalapenos and long greens.
>
> There was a taco bar in mexico that had a bright orange habenero sauce that
> was hot as hell but tasty. My gardener mentioned something about cooking
> with tomatoes and straining the seeds out.
> I have plenty of tomatoes too.

When my brother lived in an area where he could grow
chilies, he froze them for winter use. Don't know if he
parboiled them or not. He's not much of a cook, so I
wouldn't be suprised if he just threw them in a bag and
threw the bag in the freezer.

I could ask if you're interested.

sf

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 06:39:19 -0700, "SonoranDude"
> wrote:

> Been awhile since I have posted anything but I'm looking for some
> suggestions. All my habeneros' are starting to turn orange now and looking
> for suggestions on what to do with them since this is the first time I've
> grown them.
> I have no problem finding things to do with my jalapenos and long greens.
>
> There was a taco bar in mexico that had a bright orange habenero sauce that
> was hot as hell but tasty. My gardener mentioned something about cooking
> with tomatoes and straining the seeds out.
> I have plenty of tomatoes too.

When my brother lived in an area where he could grow
chilies, he froze them for winter use. Don't know if he
parboiled them or not. He's not much of a cook, so I
wouldn't be suprised if he just threw them in a bag and
threw the bag in the freezer.

I could ask if you're interested.

Rich McCormack

sf wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 06:39:19 -0700, "SonoranDude"
> > wrote:
>

>> Been awhile since I have posted anything but I'm looking for some
>> suggestions. All my habeneros' are starting to turn orange now and looking
>> for suggestions on what to do with them since this is the first time I've
>> grown them.
>> I have no problem finding things to do with my jalapenos and long greens.
>>
>> There was a taco bar in mexico that had a bright orange habenero sauce that
>> was hot as hell but tasty. My gardener mentioned something about cooking
>> with tomatoes and straining the seeds out.
>> I have plenty of tomatoes too.
>>

> When my brother lived in an area where he could grow
> chilies, he froze them for winter use. Don't know if he
> parboiled them or not. He's not much of a cook, so I
> wouldn't be suprised if he just threw them in a bag and
> threw the bag in the freezer.

I've got a gallon bag of frozen habaneros in my freezer right now.
When thawed, they're still bright orange, hot and tasty. They do lose
some texture during the freezing and thawing process, but are usable
for anything that doesn't need habs with a fresh/crisp texture. To
keep 'em from becoming a solid mass in the freezer, they should be
spread out on shallow trays, frozen, then bagged and returned to the
freezer. Mine have been in the freezer since last year's (2003)
harvest and I can still take 'em out one at a time or as otherwise
needed.

Rich

The Ranger

Rich McCormack > helpfully suggested in message
. ..
[snip]
> I've got a gallon bag of frozen habaneros [snip]
> To keep 'em from becoming a solid mass in the freezer,
> they should be spread out on shallow trays, frozen, then
> bagged and returned to the freezer. [snip]

I'll second this process.

I do this with anaheims and jalapenos, too. It's important to
remember Rich's first step: freeze them on a shallow tray. They'll
happily become a large ice cube with little effort otherwise.

The "And Don't Forget the Food Gloves" Ranger

SonoranDude

"newsuser" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> SonoranDude > wrote:
> >Been awhile since I have posted anything but I'm looking for some
> >suggestions. All my habeneros' are starting to turn orange now and

looking
> >for suggestions on what to do with them since this is the first time I've
> >grown them.
> >I have no problem finding things to do with my jalapenos and long greens.
> >
> >There was a taco bar in mexico that had a bright orange habenero sauce

that
> >was hot as hell but tasty. My gardener mentioned something about cooking
> >with tomatoes and straining the seeds out.
> >I have plenty of tomatoes too.
> >
> >Your suggestions?

> Hi Brad. Fire up some xni-pec. (Maya Style pico de Gallo) I learned to
> make this from some cooks in the state of Quintana Roo back in 1989.
> It scales well, and man is it good! I usually double the amounts shown
> when I make it, which I'm am going to do today. Serve with Fritos or
> Tostadas.
>
> Xni-Pec
>

> 2 Habanero Chilies
> Juice of one small lime (Persian-golf ball size or 2 key limes)
> 1 C White onions diced
> 3 Roma Tomatoes seeds removed chopped fine
> 1 T Cilantro chopped very fine
> 1 t salt or to taste.
> ---- I add (not traditional, but I like the crunch---
> 1 Serrano seeded and diced fine
>
> Stem the Chilies. Place them in a blender with the lime juice. (They
> used to use a molcajete, but not any more) Blend untill there are no
> chunks of Habanero left.
> Add the Habaneros to the rest of the ingredients. Let sit for on hour at
> room temp to cure. Mmmm Mmmm

This recipe looks good and is backed up by an expert... now for the big
question? You didn't mention the seeding of the Habenero in your post! Since
you are seeding the Serano I take it that it is wise to do so with the
habenero also... Maybe not... I can handle heat but haven't tried these with
seeds yet and not sure if I want to.

I eat jalapenos and serranos right off the bush but haven't had the nerve to
try the hab... When Habenero became popular 10 or 15 years ago a bar owner
brought me out a sample of habenero oil that they put in the wings (one or
two drops I found out later)... he gave it to me in a shot glass... having a
few beers I swigged it down...

The guy almost died when he saw me do it.... I can tell you it was one of
the most miserable experiences of my life... right up there with a burst
apendix.

I have learned to respect those little fruits.

newsuser

In article >,
SonoranDude > wrote:

>"newsuser" > wrote in message

[]
>> >Your suggestions?

>> 2 Habanero Chilies
>> Juice of one small lime (Persian-golf ball size or 2 key limes)
>> 1 C White onions diced
>> 3 Roma Tomatoes seeds removed chopped fine
>> 1 T Cilantro chopped very fine
>> 1 t salt or to taste.
>> ---- I add (not traditional, but I like the crunch---
>> 1 Serrano seeded and diced fine

[]

>This recipe looks good and is backed up by an expert... now for the big
>question? You didn't mention the seeding of the Habenero in your post! Since
>you are seeding the Serano I take it that it is wise to do so with the
>habenero also... Maybe not... I can handle heat but haven't tried these with
>seeds yet and not sure if I want to.

Hi Brad

The Habanero are not seeded. I only cut off a thin slice where the stem was
attached. I don't seed the serrano either, just wrote that by rote.
Cut the serrano in 1/4" dice. Good color contrast to the white onion and
orangeish liquor of the blended Habanero.

I also quantified the salt from a double batch perspective. It would be more
like 1/2 t for the above quantity-to your taste of course. This is a
sneaky sauce as Wayne aluded. Warn your non-chilehead guests. They will
try the sauce "by only getting some of the juice" Well, that's where the
heat is. =:-0

I cannot eat a whole Habanero raw. I have taken a good byte once-that
is enough!

Another way I'll use them is to cut one in half, seed it, and toss it in with
potatoes as they boil to make mashed potatoes. I remove the chile before
mashing... Nice flavor and twinge of heat. .

Regards.

>I eat jalapenos and serranos right off the bush but haven't had the nerve to
>try the hab... When Habenero became popular 10 or 15 years ago a bar owner
>brought me out a sample of habenero oil that they put in the wings (one or
>two drops I found out later)... he gave it to me in a shot glass... having a
>few beers I swigged it down...
>
>The guy almost died when he saw me do it.... I can tell you it was one of
>the most miserable experiences of my life... right up there with a burst
>apendix.
>
>I have learned to respect those little fruits.

newsuser

In article >,
SonoranDude > wrote:

>"newsuser" > wrote in message

[]
>> >Your suggestions?

>> 2 Habanero Chilies
>> Juice of one small lime (Persian-golf ball size or 2 key limes)
>> 1 C White onions diced
>> 3 Roma Tomatoes seeds removed chopped fine
>> 1 T Cilantro chopped very fine
>> 1 t salt or to taste.
>> ---- I add (not traditional, but I like the crunch---
>> 1 Serrano seeded and diced fine

[]

>This recipe looks good and is backed up by an expert... now for the big
>question? You didn't mention the seeding of the Habenero in your post! Since
>you are seeding the Serano I take it that it is wise to do so with the
>habenero also... Maybe not... I can handle heat but haven't tried these with
>seeds yet and not sure if I want to.

Hi Brad

The Habanero are not seeded. I only cut off a thin slice where the stem was
attached. I don't seed the serrano either, just wrote that by rote.
Cut the serrano in 1/4" dice. Good color contrast to the white onion and
orangeish liquor of the blended Habanero.

I also quantified the salt from a double batch perspective. It would be more
like 1/2 t for the above quantity-to your taste of course. This is a
sneaky sauce as Wayne aluded. Warn your non-chilehead guests. They will
try the sauce "by only getting some of the juice" Well, that's where the
heat is. =:-0

I cannot eat a whole Habanero raw. I have taken a good byte once-that
is enough!

Another way I'll use them is to cut one in half, seed it, and toss it in with
potatoes as they boil to make mashed potatoes. I remove the chile before
mashing... Nice flavor and twinge of heat. .

Regards.

>I eat jalapenos and serranos right off the bush but haven't had the nerve to
>try the hab... When Habenero became popular 10 or 15 years ago a bar owner
>brought me out a sample of habenero oil that they put in the wings (one or
>two drops I found out later)... he gave it to me in a shot glass... having a
>few beers I swigged it down...
>
>The guy almost died when he saw me do it.... I can tell you it was one of
>the most miserable experiences of my life... right up there with a burst
>apendix.
>
>I have learned to respect those little fruits.

Gary Flynn

Rich McCormack wrote:

> I've got a gallon bag of frozen habaneros in my freezer right now.
> When thawed, they're still bright orange, hot and tasty. They do lose
> some texture during the freezing and thawing process, but are usable
> for anything that doesn't need habs with a fresh/crisp texture. To
> keep 'em from becoming a solid mass in the freezer, they should be
> spread out on shallow trays, frozen, then bagged and returned to the
> freezer. Mine have been in the freezer since last year's (2003)
> harvest and I can still take 'em out one at a time or as otherwise
> needed.

I deseed them, cut them into strips, and freeze them in a single
layer in a sandwidth bag. Then I place multiple sandwich bags
(flat or rolled) into freezer bags. I do my herbs that way too.

Gary Flynn

SonoranDude wrote:

> Your suggestions?

Take advantage of the fruity characteristics of the pepper
by combining it with mango and/or papaya for a salsa/sauce.
Maybe some allspice, cilantro, and lime juice too.

If you blacken them just slightly, they become more earthy
and fruity.