Incontinentius Buttocks

Default Question about *flour* tortilla press

Hola a todos. I'm considering buying this flour tortilla press for a
small restaurant I'm opening:

http://www.villamex.com.mx/index.php...e&idt=1&idll=3

But it's kind of expensive-- US$750 plus shipping. I considered this
type of household unit:

http://www.everythingkitchens.com/tortillapresses.html

But it just wouldn't be adequate, partly because I need tortillas
larger than 10". The $750 unit makes tortillas up to 30cm., which is
perfect for me. Anyone have any suggestions-- maybe a good source for
used institutional presses?

Gracias antecipadas.
Steve Wertz

On 9 Jul 2004 05:54:20 -0700,
(Incontinentius Buttocks) wrote:

>Hola a todos. I'm considering buying this flour tortilla press for a
>small restaurant I'm opening:

http://www.villamex.com.mx/index.php...e&idt=1&idll=3

Does it cook the tortilla, too? (I don't read Mexican*).. What are
the controls for?

Judging by the price of the aluminum press ($23), I'd say that the
$750 model is probably overpriced as well. The aluminum presses
are $8-$10 in the mexican grocers.

If you really want to get fancy:
http://www.abestkitchen.com/store/pizza-presses.html

-sw

Incontinentius Buttocks

Steve Wertz > wrote in message >...
> On 9 Jul 2004 05:54:20 -0700,
> (Incontinentius Buttocks) wrote:
>
> >Hola a todos. I'm considering buying this flour tortilla press for a
> >small restaurant I'm opening:

http://www.villamex.com.mx/index.php...e&idt=1&idll=3

> Does it cook the tortilla, too? (I don't read Mexican*).. What are
> the controls for?
>
> Judging by the price of the aluminum press ($23), I'd say that the
> $750 model is probably overpriced as well. The aluminum presses
> are $8-$10 in the mexican grocers.

It doesn't cook the tortilla; it applies just enough heat to set the
tortilla in its shape, thus the temperature controls for the upper and
lower surface. A common complaint that I've heard about the household
unit is that the tortilla will often explode, because the machine is
designed to press and cook the tortilla at the same time, and it has
no temperature control.
As far as the aluminum presses you mentioned, those are for corn
tortillas.

I.B.
lgo

(Incontinentius Buttocks) wrote in
m:

http://www.villamex.com.mx/index.php...cion=index&op=
> detalle&idt=1&idll=3
>
> But it's kind of expensive-- US$750 plus shipping. I considered this
> type of household unit:
>
> http://www.everythingkitchens.com/tortillapresses.html
>
> But it just wouldn't be adequate, partly because I need tortillas
> larger than 10". The $750 unit makes tortillas up to 30cm., which is
> perfect for me. Anyone have any suggestions-- maybe a good source for
> used institutional presses?
>
> Gracias antecipadas.

It just might be simpler to order those burrito size (or any size)
tortillas from a tortilleria, they will usually give a discount for
large orders, and are not expensive.

lgo

lgo

(Incontinentius Buttocks) wrote in
m:

> Hola a todos. I'm considering buying this flour tortilla press for a
> small restaurant I'm opening:

http://www.villamex.com.mx/index.php...cion=index&op=
> detalle&idt=1&idll=3
>
> But it's kind of expensive-- US$750 plus shipping. I considered this
> type of household unit:
>
> http://www.everythingkitchens.com/tortillapresses.html
>
> But it just wouldn't be adequate, partly because I need tortillas
> larger than 10". The $750 unit makes tortillas up to 30cm., which is
> perfect for me. Anyone have any suggestions-- maybe a good source for
> used institutional presses?
>
> Gracias antecipadas.

It just might be simpler to order those burrito size (or any size)
tortillas from a tortilleria, they will usually give a discount for
large orders, and are not expensive.

lgo

Steve Wertz

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 16:34:01 GMT, lgo
<lgo@abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzabcdefghijklmnopqrs tuvwxyzabcdefghijk.com>
wrote:

(Incontinentius Buttocks) wrote in
om:

>> Hola a todos. I'm considering buying this flour tortilla press for a
>> small restaurant I'm opening:
>>
>> http://www.villamex.com.mx/index.php...cion=index&op=
>> detalle&idt=1&idll=3
>>
>> But it's kind of expensive-- US$750 plus shipping. I considered this
>> type of household unit:
>>
>> http://www.everythingkitchens.com/tortillapresses.html
>>
>> But it just wouldn't be adequate, partly because I need tortillas
>> larger than 10". The $750 unit makes tortillas up to 30cm., which is
>> perfect for me. Anyone have any suggestions-- maybe a good source for
>> used institutional presses?
>>
>> Gracias antecipadas.

>It just might be simpler to order those burrito size (or any size)
>tortillas from a tortilleria, they will usually give a discount for
>large orders, and are not expensive.

You could probably get raw tortillas to, and just heat them up in
store. That way you still have that 'fresh from the comal' taste.

This assumes you live in an area that has a local tortilleria...

-sw
Steve Wertz

wrote:

(Incontinentius Buttocks) wrote in
om:

>> Hola a todos. I'm considering buying this flour tortilla press for a
>> small restaurant I'm opening:
>>
>> http://www.villamex.com.mx/index.php...cion=index&op=
>> detalle&idt=1&idll=3
>>
>> But it's kind of expensive-- US$750 plus shipping. I considered this
>> type of household unit:
>>
>> http://www.everythingkitchens.com/tortillapresses.html
>>
>> But it just wouldn't be adequate, partly because I need tortillas
>> larger than 10". The $750 unit makes tortillas up to 30cm., which is
>> perfect for me. Anyone have any suggestions-- maybe a good source for
>> used institutional presses?
>>
>> Gracias antecipadas.

>It just might be simpler to order those burrito size (or any size)
>tortillas from a tortilleria, they will usually give a discount for
>large orders, and are not expensive.

You could probably get raw tortillas to, and just heat them up in
store. That way you still have that 'fresh from the comal' taste.

This assumes you live in an area that has a local tortilleria...

-sw
Incontinentius Buttocks

> >It just might be simpler to order those burrito size (or any size)
> >tortillas from a tortilleria, they will usually give a discount for
> >large orders, and are not expensive.

> You could probably get raw tortillas to, and just heat them up in
> store. That way you still have that 'fresh from the comal' taste.
>
> This assumes you live in an area that has a local tortilleria...
>
> -sw

I don't. I'm in Brazil, where tortillas are almost unheard of. I
visited a Mex restaurant about 500km from here that made "tortillas"
that were more like crepes, made from batter poured from a pitcher.
For the "real" thing, imported from Mexico, you had to pay an extra
R$2 (US.$60). What an absurd arrangement.

IB
Incontinentius Buttocks

> > I don't. I'm in Brazil, where tortillas are almost unheard of. I
> > visited a Mex restaurant about 500km from here that made "tortillas"
> > that were more like crepes, made from batter poured from a pitcher.
> > For the "real" thing, imported from Mexico, you had to pay an extra
> > R$2 (US.$60). What an absurd arrangement.

Oops-- I meant to say that R$2 is equal to US$.60, not $60. Still an
absurd arrangement, though.

IB
Incontinentius Buttocks

> > I don't. I'm in Brazil, where tortillas are almost unheard of. I
> > visited a Mex restaurant about 500km from here that made "tortillas"
> > that were more like crepes, made from batter poured from a pitcher.
> > For the "real" thing, imported from Mexico, you had to pay an extra
> > R$2 (US.$60). What an absurd arrangement.

Oops-- I meant to say that R$2 is equal to US$.60, not $60. Still an
absurd arrangement, though.

IB

In article >,
says...
> Steve Wertz > wrote in message >...
> > On 9 Jul 2004 05:54:20 -0700,

> > (Incontinentius Buttocks) wrote:
> >
> > >Hola a todos. I'm considering buying this flour tortilla press for a
> > >small restaurant I'm opening:

http://www.villamex.com.mx/index.php...e&idt=1&idll=3

> > Does it cook the tortilla, too? (I don't read Mexican*).. What are
> > the controls for?
> >
> > Judging by the price of the aluminum press ($23), I'd say that the
> > $750 model is probably overpriced as well. The aluminum presses
> > are $8-$10 in the mexican grocers.

> It doesn't cook the tortilla; it applies just enough heat to set the
> tortilla in its shape, thus the temperature controls for the upper and
> lower surface. A common complaint that I've heard about the household
> unit is that the tortilla will often explode, because the machine is
> designed to press and cook the tortilla at the same time, and it has
> no temperature control.
> As far as the aluminum presses you mentioned, those are for corn
> tortillas.
>
> I.B.

A possible cheap solution to address the Villaware's limitations (it's
either on or off, with no heat control) would be to get an electrician
to rig up a higher-wattage (1500W) light dimmer switch, mounted in a
simple outlet box with a cord that plugs into the wall. The Villaware
would then plug into a outlet on the box that is controlled by the
dimmer. That way you'd have complete control over the heat of the unit,
from "Off" to full blast and everything in between.

You'd have to experiment a bit to find the right setting for the dimmer
control, and you wouldn't have the "professional" tortilla maker of your
dreams, but it may be worth the extra trouble and fiddling, given the
vast differences in price.

In article >,
says...
> Steve Wertz > wrote in message >...
> > On 9 Jul 2004 05:54:20 -0700,

> > (Incontinentius Buttocks) wrote:
> >
> > >Hola a todos. I'm considering buying this flour tortilla press for a
> > >small restaurant I'm opening:

http://www.villamex.com.mx/index.php...e&idt=1&idll=3

> > Does it cook the tortilla, too? (I don't read Mexican*).. What are
> > the controls for?
> >
> > Judging by the price of the aluminum press ($23), I'd say that the
> > $750 model is probably overpriced as well. The aluminum presses
> > are $8-$10 in the mexican grocers.

> It doesn't cook the tortilla; it applies just enough heat to set the
> tortilla in its shape, thus the temperature controls for the upper and
> lower surface. A common complaint that I've heard about the household
> unit is that the tortilla will often explode, because the machine is
> designed to press and cook the tortilla at the same time, and it has
> no temperature control.
> As far as the aluminum presses you mentioned, those are for corn
> tortillas.
>
> I.B.

A possible cheap solution to address the Villaware's limitations (it's
either on or off, with no heat control) would be to get an electrician
to rig up a higher-wattage (1500W) light dimmer switch, mounted in a
simple outlet box with a cord that plugs into the wall. The Villaware
would then plug into a outlet on the box that is controlled by the
dimmer. That way you'd have complete control over the heat of the unit,
from "Off" to full blast and everything in between.

You'd have to experiment a bit to find the right setting for the dimmer
control, and you wouldn't have the "professional" tortilla maker of your
dreams, but it may be worth the extra trouble and fiddling, given the
vast differences in price.
Incontinentius Buttocks

> wrote in message >.. .
> A possible cheap solution to address the Villaware's limitations (it's
> either on or off, with no heat control) would be to get an electrician
> to rig up a higher-wattage (1500W) light dimmer switch, mounted in a
> simple outlet box with a cord that plugs into the wall. The Villaware
> would then plug into a outlet on the box that is controlled by the
> dimmer. That way you'd have complete control over the heat of the unit,
> from "Off" to full blast and everything in between.
>
> You'd have to experiment a bit to find the right setting for the dimmer
> control, and you wouldn't have the "professional" tortilla maker of your
> dreams, but it may be worth the extra trouble and fiddling, given the
> vast differences in price.

That's a novel idea. If I had not placed the order and sent the
money last week, I'd be inclined to try it. Would probably cost me all
of $100 or so, as opposed to $1100 with shipping and replacement
parts. Well, at least you've provided an interesting idea for people
who want to make tortillas at home while saving rolling-pin labor. I
guess this Villamex institutional unit was the correct choice because
it makes the tortillas slightly larger (12in. vs. 10in.), and is built
for heavy use.
Incontinentius Buttocks