Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Default speaking of Enchilada sauce

Does anyone know how to make the delicious enchilada sauces found in most
restaurants? It's actually a mild kind of on the light orange/red side.
Most recipes I've tried come out a dark red and too spicy.
Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Nov 14, 7:54*am, mack the knife > wrote:
> Does anyone know how to make the delicious enchilada sauces found in most
> restaurants? *It's actually a mild kind of on the light orange/red side..

That's a Tex-Mex *chili* sauce which has tomato sauce in it. Most of
the "Mexican food" that Americans in the Southwest eat is actually Tex-
Mex, which is a blending of two traditions of cooking, American and
Mexican.

> Most recipes I've tried come out a dark red and too spicy.

That's a Mexican style *chile* sauce which has *no* tomato sauce in
it. The color comes from the red chiles themselves.

If you make your own *chile* sauce, you need to know your tolerance
for
heat.

Google up "scoville" in this newsgroup to find the relative "heat" of
the various
chiles used to Mexican cooking.

There is another factor besides the amount of capsacin in the chiles.

It's the *nictotine* taste that some chiles, like poblanos, have.

When poblanos are dried, they are called "anchos", meaning "wide".
They still have a slight nicotine taste after drying.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 15:54:10 GMT, mack the knife wrote:
>
>> Does anyone know how to make the delicious enchilada sauces found in most
>> restaurants? It's actually a mild kind of on the light orange/red side.
>> Most recipes I've tried come out a dark red and too spicy.

> . I
> despise most dried chiles and making them into sauce multiplies that
> hatred by 3.
>
> The enchilada sauce made in restaurants could be anything - probably
> cream and butter are included, and it's maybe 10% chiles and 40%
> tomatoes. It had to be to make it palatable.
>
> -sw

Maybe true where you live Steve, but still an overly broad opinion, not
based on any fact.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Dec 9, 4:12*pm, "Nunya Bidnits" <nunyabidn...@eternal-
september.invalid> wrote:

> Maybe you can enlighten me further on the differences in what is commonly
> sold as chili ancho.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancho

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"Nunya Bidnits" > wrote in message
> little man upon the stair said:

-SNIP-

>> There is another factor besides the amount of capsacin in the chiles.
>>
>> It's the *nictotine* taste that some chiles, like poblanos, have.
>>

> MartyB in KC

The first time I had a Smoked Green Jap , (He called it a Chipotle) it
was like chewing on a dry plug of Tobacco. It was truly a Hideous
experience. I have smoked red chipotles for many years and enjoy eating
them whole with food. That evil green ******* was horrible

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"Mike" > wrote in
ster.com:

> "Nunya Bidnits" > wrote in
> message ...
>> little man upon the stair said:

> -SNIP-
>

>>> There is another factor besides the amount of capsacin in the
>>> chiles.
>>>
>>> It's the *nictotine* taste that some chiles, like poblanos, have.
>>>

>> MartyB in KC

> The first time I had a Smoked Green Jap , (He called it a Chipotle)
> it was like chewing on a dry plug of Tobacco. It was truly a Hideous
> experience. I have smoked red chipotles for many years and enjoy
> eating them whole with food. That evil green ******* was horrible

Jap?????What are you doing to those poor people? You smoke them?

Lasagna, with enchilada sauce instead of tomato sauce? zxcvbob General Cooking 13 22-04-2008 02:03 PM
Dry Enchilada Sauce Mix [email protected] Recipes (moderated) 0 22-06-2007 02:01 AM
Enchilada sauce zxcvbob Preserving 6 29-10-2005 04:02 PM
Enchilada Sauce Duckie ® Recipes 0 26-08-2005 11:16 PM
Enchilada Sauce? Richard's ~JA~ General Cooking 8 31-10-2003 10:14 AM