FoodBanter.com

-   Mexican Cooking (https://www.foodbanter.com/mexican-cooking/)
-   -   Good basic enchilada sauce recipe? (https://www.foodbanter.com/mexican-cooking/178211-good-basic-enchilada-sauce.html)

Danj 23-10-2009 11:30 PM

Good basic enchilada sauce recipe?

I hate to admit it but i buy the spice mixes for mexican sauces and wondered if anyone could reccomend a good recipe for enchilada sauce.

I love to cook it, but hate the fact that i use pre pack mixes.

Please help

Dan

robsam 07-03-2010 10:15 AM

You can use this sauce (Actually very economical) to prepare enchiladas or any recipe calling for enchilada sauce.

Ingredients :

2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
2 cups water
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

1. Heat oil in large 2-quart saucepan; stir in flour and chili powder; cook for 1 minute.
2. Add remaining ingredients bring to a boil and simmer for about 10 minutes.

It Makes 3 cups sauce.

Enjoy The Taste !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

svenetos 08-06-2010 03:53 PM

[quote=Danj;1394654]I hate to admit it but i buy the spice mixes for mexican sauces and wondered if anyone could reccomend a good recipe for enchilada sauce. /QUOTE]

I would definitely try this Chili Rellenos Sauce. You can put it on your enchiladas or even Stuffed Green Chilies. It's that delicious!

Chili Rellenos Sauce Recipe | Recipe4Living

Ingredients

* 1 onion
* 2 cloves garlic
* 2 Tbs. oil
* 2 C. canned tomatoes
* 4 C. chicken broth
* 1 tsp. salt
* 1 tsp. pepper
* 1 tsp. oregano

Directions

Chop onion and crush garlic. Cook in oil until clear. Add tomatoes, mix with broth and bring to a boil. Season to taste with salt, pepper and oregano. Heat chili rellenos in sauce for 5 minutes.

Neil Gregory 23-06-2010 07:28 PM

That sounds yummy. I might just do that!

cycle1667 07-07-2010 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil Gregory (Post 1494085)
That sounds yummy. I might just do that!

Try soaking some ancho chilies and pureeing them with the other ingredients. it adds a very nice roasted flavor to the sauce.

Gorio 13-07-2010 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cycle1667 (Post 1501122)
Try soaking some ancho chilies and pureeing them with the other ingredients. it adds a very nice roasted flavor to the sauce.

I've been using anchos lately, too. They're like giving them away lately. I would reduce this and use it instead of chili power and add a small amount of habanero sauce; but the previous recipes are happy enchiladas.

Never made it with chicken stock or flour, though. Sounds interesting.

foofiefan 31-08-2010 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danj (Post 1394654)
I hate to admit it but i buy the spice mixes for mexican sauces and wondered if anyone could reccomend a good recipe for enchilada sauce.

I love to cook it, but hate the fact that i use pre pack mixes.

Please help

Dan

I once thought about making my own enchilada sauce. When I was at the store I looked on the can of prepared enchilada sauce (red sauce) I saw pasilla peppers, vegetable oil, and vinegar as the three main ingredients. A little salt too. I tried this using dried pasillas. I boiled them until they were soft and then slit them and scraped the softened slightly pasty insides of them into a stainless steel pan with the salt, oil and vinegar. This I mixed together and wow it made great enchilada sauce. The paste from the peppers seems to emulsify the oil and vinegar together as well as giving the resulting sauce a very good flavor. You will need at least 4 whole dried pasilla peppers as well as oil and vinegar in a 3 to 1 ratio(3/4 cup oil to 1/4 cup vinegar.) Add 1/2 tsp salt to this and you're good to go. I don't know about the green enchilada sauce but it seems like you could look on a can of it to find out the ingredients.

Viv in Springfield