FoodBanter.com

-   Mexican Cooking (https://www.foodbanter.com/mexican-cooking/)
-   -   Rick Bayless (https://www.foodbanter.com/mexican-cooking/175168-rick-bayless.html)

Orlando Enrique Fiol 31-07-2009 09:52 AM

Rick Bayless

On another newsgroup, a heated discussion has taken shape around Rick bayless'
Chicago restaurants. Not having eaten there but having read Bayless' first
cookbook as well as having watched years of his PBS series, I'm trying to
ascertain what Mexican foodies and American lovers of Mexican food think of
Bayless' work, his restaurants, their prices and political implications. Can he
really throw down compared to regional mexican chefs? Should he, as an
American, charge as much as he does for his cooking and ambiance? As far as any
of you know, is there any validity to Bayless' claim that his restaurants are
some of the only fine dining mexican establishments in America? I can't imagine
that home made mole or mancha manteles, birria, carne asada and other
specialties are only available at Bayless' restaurants for his inflated prices.

Thoughts?
Orlando

¿ 31-07-2009 04:12 PM

Rick Bayless

On Jul 31, 1:52*am, Orlando Enrique Fiol > wrote:

> Thoughts?

I'm sorry, we're not allowed to have a discussion of anything beyond
offal-filled tacos in this group because its self-appointed guardian
has defined such criticism as "class warfare".

mack the knife 01-08-2009 03:12 AM

Rick Bayless

¿ > wrote in news:274e21d0-2735-490f-84ed-1477067c7c46
@f18g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

> On Jul 31, 1:52*am, Orlando Enrique Fiol > wrote:
>
>> Thoughts?

> I'm sorry, we're not allowed to have a discussion of anything beyond
> offal-filled tacos in this group because its self-appointed guardian
> has defined such criticism as "class warfare".

Is that why this group up and died?

¿ 01-08-2009 04:16 AM

Rick Bayless

On Jul 31, 7:12�pm, mack the knife > wrote:
> � > wrote
> > I'm sorry, we're not allowed to have a discussion of anything beyond
> > offal-filled tacos in this group because its self-appointed guardian
> > has defined such criticism as "class warfare".

> Is that why this group up and died?

Yup. It only takes one blowhard like that to kill a group.