FoodBanter.com

-   Mexican Cooking (https://www.foodbanter.com/mexican-cooking/)
-   -   Mexican vs. Key limes (https://www.foodbanter.com/mexican-cooking/171532-mexican-vs-key-limes.html)

Rich[_7_] 28-04-2009 12:04 AM

Mexican vs. Key limes

I saw a margarita recipe on rec.food.cooking that made mention of
Mexican vs. key limes. I've got a lime tree growing in my back yard
with growth from below and above a graft. I've never been able to
determine the type of limes growing on my tree. Both ripen to yellow.
One fruit is lime like (round with thin skin) and the other is more
lemon like (oblong with pointed ends and thicker skin). Neither
resembles a typical "grocery store" lemon in size, rind or flesh color.
The "round" one has a "store bought" lime flavor when used green, the
oblong one other does not. Both become sweeter as they ripen. I'd like
to figure out what kind of limes they are. Any help would be appreciated.

Rich

Mike[_2_] 28-04-2009 03:38 AM

Mexican vs. Key limes

Smart money says a Mexican can kick a key limes ass

Rolly 28-04-2009 03:55 AM

Mexican vs. Key limes

"I saw a margarita recipe on rec.food.cooking that made mention of
Mexican vs. key limes." The writer had it mixed up -- Mexican limes
are Key limes. They have seeds.

The lime most commonly found in the USA is the seedless Persian lime.

Dimitri 28-04-2009 02:49 PM

Mexican vs. Key limes

"Rich" > wrote in message
>I saw a margarita recipe on rec.food.cooking that made mention of Mexican
>vs. key limes. I've got a lime tree growing in my back yard with growth
>from below and above a graft. I've never been able to determine the type
>of limes growing on my tree. Both ripen to yellow. One fruit is lime like
>(round with thin skin) and the other is more lemon like (oblong with
>pointed ends and thicker skin). Neither resembles a typical "grocery
>store" lemon in size, rind or flesh color. The "round" one has a "store
>bought" lime flavor when used green, the oblong one other does not. Both
>become sweeter as they ripen. I'd like to figure out what kind of limes
>they are. Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Rich

http://www.thenibble.com/REVIEWS/mai...f-lime.asp#key

Page 2

Key Lime (Citrus aurantifolia Swingle). Also known as the Mexican lime, West
Indies lime and Bartender's lime, the highly-aromatic Key lime is grown in
the Florida Keys, Mexico and the West Indies. It is smaller and round, the
size of a ping pong ball, and more fragrant and less acidic. The color can
range from a regular lime green to yellow in color, depending on ripeness.
Those not familiar with it can mistake it for a lemon, but the skin is
smooth, thin-skinned and full of small seeds. It also has a distinct, tart,
but less acid, juice than the Persian lime. Both are the only two limes,
acid or sour, that are commercially grown.

Dimitri

b2cwatchbest 09-07-2009 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimitri (Post 1309920)
"Rich" wrote in message
I saw a margarita recipe on rec.food.cooking that made mention of Mexican
vs. key limes. I've got a lime tree growing in my back yard with growth
from below and above a graft. I've never been able to determine the type
of limes growing on my tree. Both ripen to yellow. One fruit is lime like
(round with thin skin) and the other is more lemon like (oblong with
pointed ends and thicker skin). Neither resembles a typical "grocery
store" lemon in size, rind or flesh color. The "round" one has a "store
bought" lime flavor when used green, the oblong one other does not. Both
become sweeter as they ripen. I'd like to figure out what kind of limes
they are. Any help would be appreciated.

Rich

Limes

http://www.b2cwatch.com provides excellent customer service and extraordinary merchandise. We wish to inform and educate our customers on the historical and collectable values of Rolex and to help direct you in the important acquisition of a Rolex watch.

jezzicaz789 04-02-2010 04:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich[_7_] (Post 1309764)
I saw a margarita recipe on rec.food.cooking that made mention of
Mexican vs. key limes. I've got a lime tree growing in my back yard
with growth from below and above a graft. I've never been able to
determine the type of limes growing on my tree. Both ripen to yellow.
One fruit is lime like (round with thin skin) and the other is more
lemon like (oblong with pointed ends and thicker skin). Neither
resembles a typical "grocery store" lemon in size, rind or flesh color.
The "round" one has a "store bought" lime flavor when used green, the
oblong one other does not. Both become sweeter as they ripen. I'd like
to figure out what kind of limes they are. Any help would be appreciated.

Rich

Thank you for the post.
Hi guys, Im a newbie. Nice to join this forum.

Foodiefun 26-05-2010 11:50 PM

Cool, thanks for all the information. Goes to show that you learn something new everyday!