Experienced Member

Location: Colombia
Default Veracruzana Fish

Latin America is an astronomically rich region and one of the countries that has always had more appreciation for its unique recipes is Mexico. Today I share this delicacy from the region of Veracruz for your enjoyment.

Traditionally in this recipe is used huachinango, a fish from the Gulf of Mexico, consisting of white meat, the meat is very appealing for its flavor and nutritional qualities, but any white meat fish is good.

Ingredients:
800 gr white fish
1 large onion
2 large tomatoes
2 tablespoons olive oil
50 g olive
2 tablespoons capers
3 canned jalapeño peppers
1 lemon
½ cup water
2 tablespoons chopped parsley or cilantro
Salt and pepper to taste

Preparation:
Cut the onion into very thin slices. Grate the tomatoes to get all their flesh. Heat olive oil in a large skillet and sauté onion over medium heat until soft and slightly golden. Add the tomato pulp and allow to stir-fry for 5 minutes more. Cut olives into small pieces and add to skillet. Add the capers and stir with a wooden spoon to incorporate all ingredients well. Chop finely and add chilies. Let the sauce cook for approx. 10 minutes or until thickened. Season with salt and pepper and reserve the sauce.
Cut the fish fillets and bring the sauce back to the fire. When boiling, add fish fillets and ½ cup of water to prevent the sauce becomes too dry.
Let cook on medium heat for 10 to 15 minutes (depending on thickness of fillets).
Serve fillets with a good amount of sauce and spread cilantro or parsley.
__________________
Victoria Guzman
An expert in good food and cooking
My Website: www.recipesdrinksandfood.com
Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Thank you camrodri. This sounds really good.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Apr 20, 9:48*am, camrodri >
wrote:
> Latin America is an astronomically rich region (snip)

Latin America has a lot of stars and planets?

Neat!
Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Default Variation: Veracruzana Fish

On Mon, 20 Apr 2009 17:48:20 +0100, camrodri
> wrote:

>Traditionally in this recipe is used huachinango, a fish from the Gulf
>of Mexico, consisting of white meat, the meat is very appealing for its
>flavor and nutritional qualities, but any white meat fish is good.
>
>Ingredients:
>800 gr white fish

Here's a variation on Huachinango Veracruzano I am quite fond of
(amounts depend on how many you are feeding):

Huachinango (Red Snapper) fillets
Sm. raw Shrimp, shelled or not
Salsa Cruda
White wine
Parchment paper (preferred) or tin foil

Salsa Cruda

Roma Tomatoes, diced
Green onion/red onion or mixture, diced
Cilantro, chopped
Serrano chiles, minced
garlic, diced or minced (to taste)
lime juice
Olive or vegatable oil
salt/pepper

Mix diced/chopped ingredients, squeeze lime juice to taste, add a
splash of oil (mainly for looks), season with salt and pepper. This is
best prepared ahead of time, store in fridge to allow flavors to meld.

Preparation

Preheat oven to 375.

Place a filet on a sheet of parchment or foil, add a few raw shrimp
around the filet, season with salt and pepper, spoon some salsa cruda
over the filet and shrimp, add a splash of white wine, fold the
parchment/foil over the fish and seal tightly into a packet.

Place packets on a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes.

Serve packets on plate to be opened at the table (for that blast of
aroma when opened) with salad or other sides. Serve any remaining
salsa cruda on the side.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Thanks. I have to try this one to.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"Jed" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 20 Apr 2009 17:48:20 +0100, camrodri
> > wrote:
>
>>Traditionally in this recipe is used huachinango, a fish from the Gulf
>>of Mexico, consisting of white meat, the meat is very appealing for its
>>flavor and nutritional qualities, but any white meat fish is good.
>>
>>Ingredients:
>>800 gr white fish

> Here's a variation on Huachinango Veracruzano I am quite fond of
> (amounts depend on how many you are feeding):
>
> Huachinango (Red Snapper) fillets
> Sm. raw Shrimp, shelled or not
> Salsa Cruda
> White wine
> Parchment paper (preferred) or tin foil
>
> Salsa Cruda
>
> Roma Tomatoes, diced
> Green onion/red onion or mixture, diced
> Cilantro, chopped
> Serrano chiles, minced
> garlic, diced or minced (to taste)
> lime juice
> Olive or vegatable oil
> salt/pepper

Another variation is to use a reduction of sour orange, a shot of orange
liquor and cumin, along with the requisite Habanero and green things ( or
1/2 a Hab) in the parchment packages. This works well with most all snapper
or perch.

Forget Eating Fish - The least likely of all places in the world to find an uncontaminated fish is... Dr. Jai Maharaj[_1_] Vegan 0 11-02-2012 01:23 AM
Veracruzana Fish camrodri Recipes 2 24-04-2009 12:50 AM
Fish flavor but no fish from cold smoker JeffH[_2_] Barbecue 4 05-03-2008 07:04 PM
Update on fish-free fish and chips MrFalafel Vegan 3 27-02-2008 02:14 PM
UNIVERSIDAD VERACRUZANA LINK Gunner[_6_] Mexican Cooking 0 21-01-2008 04:43 PM