Member

Default Mole

Anyone no where I can get a good recipe for mole?
I found some at the grocery store but it tastes nothing like the mole at my favorite mexican restaurant. Or if not a receipe anyone know of a good brand of premade mole? I love it but want it more often than when we go out.

Thanks in advance.
Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

--
> lrosen

Dona Marie or Rogelio? Those are the two most oft found up here in salmon
country. You can find many recipes online but what type Mole do you want
? I like green sauces, so for me its a Mole Verde (pumpkin/pipian) or a
Mole Poblano with poultry and of course reds with meats. For Amarillo, Ive
been known to use golden raisins and golden plums form my trees, a couple
of tblspns applesauce also works to smooth it out a bit, along with a pinch
of cinnamon, nutmeg, cumin and sometimes allspice with the obligatory
yellow wax and/or gueros( a bit of fruity habenero is a nice touch in this
dish,... just don't touch anything else after handling the Hab) to use with
pork . Squash is a good side dish for this one. One ingredient I also like
to use is cashew butter instead of peanuts. It is usually in the health
food Isles or most stores here have a grinder to make nut pastes near the
bulk food isles. I get my sesame paste there also. Natural P-nut Butters
are also better to use than the Skippy/Jiffy ( too sugary) stuff you can
fresh grind these also. Saves alot of time compared to making your own.
Moles may or may not contain chocolate, just remember Bakers, not milk
chocolate, try to get the highest percentage you can find without breaking
the bank. If using the popular packaged Mexican chocolate like Ibarra,
most already has cinnamon and a course raw sugar in it so, adjust
accordingly.

Legend has it there are 7 or 8 or x,...... but in reality there are
hundreds of thousands of varieties as every family has their own
traditional. Even in contemporary Mexico they are using more prepackaged
goods. So if in a hurry just take the store-bought stuff and adjust to your
touch then call it your own.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Here are two how-to-make it picture stories.

http://rollybrook.com/ar-mole.htm

http://rollybrook.com/pollo-mole.htm

Enjoy!

Mole vs Mole Sauce Pringles CheezUms General Cooking 19 09-02-2011 07:48 PM
MOLE~ No Name Mexican Cooking 2 11-11-2007 11:55 PM
Smackdown mole Koko General Cooking 1 07-03-2007 05:17 PM
Mole todesengel Mexican Cooking 8 30-03-2005 11:10 PM
POLLO EN MOLE VERDE (Chicken in Green Mole) terrymcintire Recipes 2 18-10-2004 02:55 AM