Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.mexican-cooking

Default Looking for menudo recipe

I am looking for a good mecudo recipe, there are millions on the web but
they are all so different. What should be used to bring out the flavor of
the tripe? The last time I made menudo I came out bland, yet I cooked it
with garlic, onion, oregano, salt..Also someone told be to add a couple
of cans of chicken broth, and I've never heard of this, has anyone done
this? TIA
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.mexican-cooking

mack the knife wrote:
> I am looking for a good mecudo recipe, there are millions on the web but
> they are all so different. What should be used to bring out the flavor of
> the tripe? The last time I made menudo I came out bland, yet I cooked it
> with garlic, onion, oregano, salt..Also someone told be to add a couple
> of cans of chicken broth, and I've never heard of this, has anyone done
> this? TIA

My favorite version of tripe is the Florentine style which is basically
cooked tripe with a tomato sauce. I don't make it at home because there
is a nearby Mom & Pop restaurant that does a good job with it. Most
recipes are very similar to this:

Tripe Florentine Style (Trippa alla Fiorentina)
Ingredients
700 gr. of already boiled tripe, 500 gr. of tomato sauce, 1 lt. of meat
broth, about 2 dl. of olive oil, 1 onion, 1 carrot, a piece of celery, a
generous pinch of parsley, salt.

Preparation
Take 700 grams of already boiled tripe and cut it into strips half a
finger wide. Then finely chop an onion, one carrott, a piece of celery
and some parsley. Put this “battuto” on fire in a saucepan with some
olive oil. Before the battuto starts to brown toss the tripe in the
saucepan seasoning with some pinch of salt . The tripe will start now to
loose it’s own water: in this phase remember to turn often for about 10
minutes. When the tripe is dried and tender continue to cook for some
minutes over a high flame turning continously. Add now about 500 grams
of tomato sauce and start to cook over a slow fire for at least 2 hours.
Add regularly the meat broth to moisten during the cooking. Serve the
tripe hot and give it more flavor with grated Parmesan cheese.

Preparation Time: about 3 hours
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 20:33:36 +0000, mack the knife wrote:

Pretty straight forward - take five young boys, add some bandanas. Give
them some banal teeny bopper songs. Give them exposure through mainstream
media. That ought to get you started...
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.mexican-cooking

"Jeßus" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 20:33:36 +0000, mack the knife wrote:
>
> Pretty straight forward - take five young boys, add some bandanas. Give
> them some banal teeny bopper songs. Give them exposure through mainstream
> media. That ought to get you started...

Be sure to recycle the boys when they get too old...

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 22:52:36 -0400, dejablues wrote:

> "Jeßus" > wrote in message
>> On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 20:33:36 +0000, mack the knife wrote:
>>
>> Pretty straight forward - take five young boys, add some bandanas. Give
>> them some banal teeny bopper songs. Give them exposure through
>> mainstream media. That ought to get you started...

> Be sure to recycle the boys when they get too old...

Sure... but best to wait until *after* their decline into drugs and
bizarre behaviour as reported in the tabloids...

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.mexican-cooking

mack the knife > wrote in
:

> I am looking for a good mecudo recipe, there are millions on the web
> but they are all so different. What should be used to bring out the
> flavor of the tripe? The last time I made menudo I came out bland,
> yet I cooked it with garlic, onion, oregano, salt..Also someone told
> be to add a couple of cans of chicken broth, and I've never heard of
> this, has anyone done this? TIA

Making menudo is not magic. Any store that has a Mexican spice aisle will
have menudo mix. Use it carefully. It's quite potent.

And yes, hominy belongs in menudo. Menudo without hominy is not menudo.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.mexican-cooking

elaich > wrote in :

> mack the knife > wrote in
> :
>
>> I am looking for a good mecudo recipe, there are millions on the web
>> but they are all so different. What should be used to bring out the
>> flavor of the tripe? The last time I made menudo I came out bland,
>> yet I cooked it with garlic, onion, oregano, salt..Also someone told
>> be to add a couple of cans of chicken broth, and I've never heard of
>> this, has anyone done this? TIA
>>

> Making menudo is not magic. Any store that has a Mexican spice aisle
> will have menudo mix. Use it carefully. It's quite potent.
>
> And yes, hominy belongs in menudo. Menudo without hominy is not
> menudo.

Thank you for your input. I have seen menudo mix but wasn't sure how to
use it, during cooking or after serving?
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Oct 25, 1:33*pm, mack the knife > wrote:
> I am looking for a good mecudo recipe, there are millions on the web but
> they are all so different. *What should be used to bring out the flavor of
> the tripe? *The last time I made menudo I came out bland, yet I cooked it
> with garlic, onion, oregano, salt..Also someone told be to add a couple
> of cans of chicken broth, and I've never heard of this, has anyone done
> this? *TIA

Hey Mack,
I make Menudo alot... I use my great grandmothers recipe. It's very
flavorful not too spicy.
depending on how much you want I make this for about 15 - 20 family
and friends.
I start out with 20lbs of Honeycomb tripe (more expensive but best for
menudo) I use lots of lemon (12) to clean the menudo. Rinse it when
you first get it, soak it and squeeze about 3-4 lemons. I cut the fat
off the tripe and cut to size, I transfer cut pieces to another bowl
with clean lemon water. Once all cut I let it soak and then rinse and
repeat.do this about 3 times to clean it really good. My Aunt would
cook it outside because of the smell... the lemon rinse cuts the
smell.

20 lbs Honeycomb tripe
1 lg onion ... I add the whole onion and then take it out afterwards
1 head of garlic whole pieces
1 lg package of California chili powder ...
2 small packages of New Mexico Chili powder
I don't really measure, but salt, pepper maybe 1/2 to 1 teaspoon or
too taste... cumin about the same...
2 lg cans of Hominy (we like lots of hominy)
I cook mine in roaster 18 qt, I start it at about 10 pm and at 6am I
add hominy. It's ready anytime after 8am...

cut onion, cilantro, dry oregano and lemon for sides... and the
tortillas mmmmm

I'm making it this weekend as well. I find the tripe for about 2.50
lb
enjoy, I'd like to know if you decide to try this and get your
opinion.
thanks

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Oct 25, 9:33*pm, mack the knife > wrote:
> I am looking for a good mecudo recipe, there are millions on the web but
> they are all so different. *What should be used to bring out the flavor of
> the tripe? *The last time I made menudo I came out bland, yet I cooked it
> with garlic, onion, oregano, salt..Also someone told be to add a couple
> of cans of chicken broth, and I've never heard of this, has anyone done
> this? *TIA

i want to see the ingredients abauth menudo.becaus ther are so many
menudo recipe

menudo SteveB[_4_] General Cooking 35 17-02-2009 01:41 AM
Looking for menudo recipe mack the knife General Cooking 54 25-11-2008 09:24 PM
Menudo jmcquown[_2_] General Cooking 1 26-10-2008 11:15 PM
My best Menudo recipe chilichick General Cooking 15 01-06-2006 02:14 AM
Menudo RAS Recipes (moderated) 0 29-01-2006 08:16 PM