Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Default An Independence Day visit to Adriana's kitchen

Now for something really different from Adriana's kitchen.

http://rollybrook.com/ar-huazontles.htm

Rolly
Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Sep 17, 11:48*am, Rolly > wrote:
> Now for something really different from Adriana's kitchen.
>
> http://rollybrook.com/ar-huazontles.htm

There are a number of different Chenopodium species eaten in Mexico.
But none of them looks exactly like the picture on your site...

This is the Pigweed that grows in my yard in California
http://calphotos.berkeley.edu/cgi/im...00 +1103+0577

Common Lambsquarters
http://calphotos.berkeley.edu/cgi/im...00 +0105+1683

Pitseed Goosefoot
http://calphotos.berkeley.edu/cgi/im...0000+1203+0387
http://calphotos.berkeley.edu/cgi/im...0000+1203+0386

Netseed Lambsquarters
http://calphotos.berkeley.edu/cgi/im...0000+0205+0279

Berlandiers Goosefoot
http://calphotos.berkeley.edu/cgi/im...0000+0205+0280

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"jubaaal" > wrote in message
On Sep 17, 11:48 am, Rolly > wrote:
> Now for something really different from Adriana's kitchen.
>
> http://rollybrook.com/ar-huazontles.htm

There are a number of different Chenopodium species eaten in Mexico.
But none of them looks exactly like the picture on your site...

This is the Pigweed that grows in my yard in California
http://calphotos.berkeley.edu/cgi/im...00 +1103+0577

Common Lambsquarters
http://calphotos.berkeley.edu/cgi/im...00 +0105+1683

Pitseed Goosefoot
http://calphotos.berkeley.edu/cgi/im...0000+1203+0387
http://calphotos.berkeley.edu/cgi/im...0000+1203+0386

Netseed Lambsquarters
http://calphotos.berkeley.edu/cgi/im...0000+0205+0279

Berlandiers Goosefoot
http://calphotos.berkeley.edu/cgi/im...0000+0205+0280

Lots of common names associated with different plants but yes, your Cali
pics don't look like Rolly's Mexican pictorial of Huazontle

try these:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/melisub...7606123638675/
http://uniqueculinaryadventures.blog...baltimore.html
http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/huauzontles.htm

More detailed info on Chenopodium, if you ca
http://www.bioversityinternational.o...1&id_issue=130

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"Rolly" > wrote in message
> Now for something really different from Adriana's kitchen.
>
> http://rollybrook.com/ar-huazontles.htm
>
> Rolly

Great reminder on making the batter... same as used for chile relleno, and
excellent for coliflour and other veggies, even fish.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Sep 22, 10:02*am, "Wayne Lundberg" >
wrote:

> Great reminder on making the batter... same as used for chile relleno, and
> excellent for coliflour and other veggies, even fish.

It sounds to me like broccoli would be the most convenient and safest
substitute for huazontle.

I have been interested in botany since I was a kid, and when I read
Rolly's suggestions that almost any local Chenopodium species such as
Common Lambsquarters (C. album) can be used to make huazontle I did
some research.

http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=14653321

Nitrate poisoning in cattle fed Chenopodium album hay

Three cows fed Chenopodium album hay died 30 min after showing ataxia,
bluish-brown mucous membranes, rapid and difficult breathing,
increased heart rates, tremors and coma. Brown-colored and badly
coagulated blood was the prominent necropsy finding. Slight pulmonary
edema was prominent and all visceral organs were hyperemic. The hay
contained 2500 ppm nitrate-nitrogen and II ppm nitrite nitrogen.

Epazote is also a species of Chenopodium and one website cautioned
against using wild epazote in Mexican cooking unless the would-be cook
knows exactly what he is gathering from the wild.

If an adventurous person is determined to try Rolly's huazontle recipe
using the correct species of Chenopodium, seeds can be purchased
online.

Just google for "red aztec spinach".

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Actually, what I wrote was that huazontle is know by various names in
English. It seems that many of these are misnomers. So much
confusion has arisen over this that I have now deleted that sentence
from the webpage.

Thanks to all of you who have pointed out the confusion.

Rolly

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

wrote:

>when I read Rolly's suggestions that almost any local Chenopodium species
>such as

Common Lambsquarters (C. album) can be used to make huazontle I did
some research.

Booger, Where did Rolly suggest that almost any local Chenopodium species
such as
Common Lambsquarters (C. album) can be used to make huazontle ?

and what is the point you attempt to make with the cows and the epozote?

http://www.nizkor.org/features/falla...l-to-fear.html