Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Default Huitlacoche -- a new cooking story

I swore I would not make any cooking stories in the heat of the
summer, but...fresh huitlacoche is available only as the corn crop
matures. So here is what Adriana made from what Nery and I picked on
a nearby farm: http://rollybrook.com/ar-huitlacoche.htm
Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Jul 25, 12:47*pm, Rolly > wrote:
> I swore I would not make any cooking stories in the heat of the
> summer, but...fresh huitlacoche is available only as the corn crop
> matures. *So here is what Adriana made from what Nery and I picked on
> a nearby farm: *http://rollybrook.com/ar-huitlacoche.htm

It's been too dry this year here in Virginia for huitlacoche. About 10
years ago we had a rather wet year and I was able to get loads of
huitlacoche that was growing on the Silver Queen corn. (I'm not fond
of white corn, but the fungus seemed to prefer the white corn..)

I made some chiles rellenos stuffrd with shrimp & huitlacoche.. also I
used it as a filling with chicken in enchiladas verdes..

T.
Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Rolly what a great story. I am so glad you that you posted this even in
the heat of the summer. It is always a pleasure seeing your posts.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Rolly > wrote in

s.com:

> I swore I would not make any cooking stories in the heat of
> the summer, but...fresh huitlacoche is available only as the
> corn crop matures. So here is what Adriana made from what
> Nery and I picked on a nearby farm:
> http://rollybrook.com/ar-huitlacoche.htm

Thank you.
Enjoying all your site very much!!!
Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

tbs48 wrote:
> On Jul 25, 12:47 pm, Rolly > wrote:
>> I swore I would not make any cooking stories in the heat of the
>> summer, but...fresh huitlacoche is available only as the corn crop
>> matures. So here is what Adriana made from what Nery and I picked on
>> a nearby farm: http://rollybrook.com/ar-huitlacoche.htm

> It's been too dry this year here in Virginia for huitlacoche. About 10
> years ago we had a rather wet year and I was able to get loads of
> huitlacoche that was growing on the Silver Queen corn. (I'm not fond
> of white corn, but the fungus seemed to prefer the white corn..)
>
> I made some chiles rellenos stuffrd with shrimp & huitlacoche.. also I
> used it as a filling with chicken in enchiladas verdes..
>
> T.

Oh! We are having a very wet summer here in New England. Could
the farmstands be savvy enough to market huitlacoche?! That would
be too wonderful!

--
Jean B.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Jul 28, 12:31*pm, "Jean B." > wrote:
> tbs48 wrote:
> > On Jul 25, 12:47 pm, Rolly > wrote:
> >> I swore I would not make any cooking stories in the heat of the
> >> summer, but...fresh huitlacoche is available only as the corn crop
> >> matures. *So here is what Adriana made from what Nery and I picked on
> >> a nearby farm: *http://rollybrook.com/ar-huitlacoche.htm

> > It's been too dry this year here in Virginia for huitlacoche. About 10
> > years ago we had a rather wet year and I was able to get loads of
> > huitlacoche that was growing on the Silver Queen corn. (I'm not fond
> > of white corn, but the fungus seemed to prefer the white corn..)

> > I made some chiles rellenos stuffrd with shrimp & huitlacoche.. also I
> > used it as a filling with chicken in enchiladas verdes..

> > T.

> Oh! *We are having a very wet summer here in New England. *Could
> the farmstands be savvy enough to market huitlacoche?! *That would
> be too wonderful!
>
> --
> Jean B.-

Heck. They couldn't sell it and they gave it to me and looked at me
like I was crazy.. tell 'em youll take it off their hands. But it
doesn't keep well.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

tbs48 wrote:
> On Jul 28, 12:31 pm, "Jean B." > wrote:
>> tbs48 wrote:
>>> It's been too dry this year here in Virginia for huitlacoche. About 10
>>> years ago we had a rather wet year and I was able to get loads of
>>> huitlacoche that was growing on the Silver Queen corn. (I'm not fond
>>> of white corn, but the fungus seemed to prefer the white corn..)
>>> I made some chiles rellenos stuffrd with shrimp & huitlacoche.. also I
>>> used it as a filling with chicken in enchiladas verdes..
>>> T.

>> Oh! We are having a very wet summer here in New England. Could
>> the farmstands be savvy enough to market huitlacoche?! That would
>> be too wonderful!
>>
>> --
>> Jean B.-

> Heck. They couldn't sell it and they gave it to me and looked at me
> like I was crazy.. tell 'em youll take it off their hands. But it
> doesn't keep well.

Hmmm. I'll bring that up at my favorite farmstand.

Actually, can on spot it at pick-your-own corn places? If so,...

--
Jean B.
Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Wonderful contribution to the cause for delightful eating!