Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Default Which is the Latin Melting cheese?

I want to make Chiles Rellenos. When I shopped for cheese, there were
lots of them but I didn't know which one is the melting cheese. What
is it's name? I saw queso fresca, questo blanca, and something called
frying cheese. And do I need to make a cheese sauce not just slice or
grate the cheese. All help is appreciatedl
Nan in DE
Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
~ ~ is offline

On Jul 17, 5:37�am, Nanzi > wrote:
> I want to make Chiles Rellenos. When I shopped for cheese, there were
> lots of them but I didn't know which one is the melting cheese. What
> is it's name? �I saw queso fresca, questo blanca, and something called
> frying cheese. �

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queso_Oaxaca
Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Default Mexican cheeses

Nan ,

The selection and tastes of Mexican cheeses we get here in the PNW is
limited (5-6) , maybe your area is better, but they would still have to be
USDA. that usually means commerical processing , heat pasturized,appeal to
wide common tastes, etc. What we do get here under "Mexican" labels here
are, to me, very bland and too expensive for what you get. So, I find
nothing wrong with using local artisanal cheeses to make a signature dish.

Was given this link of WI Hispanic style cheesesto try
http://www.wisdairy.com/allaboutchee.../default.aspx# .
I have not found a store that carries them as yet up here, so I cannot vouch
for them. I like Munster or a good Jack in my rellenos, for large groups I
use a Pepper Jack (the heat kick seems to make large groups think they are
getting their moneys worth). Also try beating an egg and a bit of cilantro,
chiles, garlic and Mexican Oregano (also spinach or any of your secret
spice/chile blends work just as well) in a ricotti cheese for filling
rellenos and enchiladas instead of the typical Cheddar used in many American
version recipes. Especially nice with lighter pairings of fish, seafood or
chicken. Karen Hursh Graber, of "Mexican Hot or Not ", fame recommends
blending cottage and rocotti to make a requesón.

Recommend you bookmark this link, lots of cooking info on all cuisines:
http://www.practicallyedible.com/edi...e!opendocument

Some other bookmarks on M. cheeses:
http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/mexicancheeses.htm
slightly different:
http://mexican-food.suite101.com/art...eses_of_mexico

As always, Rolly's ( One of the GodFathers here) site
http://rollybrook.com/chiles_rellenos.htm#toasting has good info, recipes
and pics if you need them.

"Nanzi" wrote...
>I want to make Chiles Rellenos.
>When I shopped for cheese, there were lots of them

All help is appreciatedl
Nan

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Jul 18, 1:54Â*pm, "gunner" > wrote:
> Nan ,
>
> The selection and tastes of Mexican cheeses we get here in the PNW is
> limited (5-6) , maybe your area is better, but they would still have to be
> USDA. that usually means commerical processing , heat pasturized,appeal to
> wide common tastes, Â*etc. Â*What we do get here under "Mexican" labels here
> are, to me, very bland and too expensive for what you get. Â*So, I find
> nothing wrong with using local artisanal cheeses to make a signature dish..
>
> Was given this link of Â*WI Hispanic style cheesesto tryhttp://www.wisdairy.com/allaboutcheese/cheesemaking/hispanic/default.....
> I have not found a store that carries them as yet up here, so I cannot vouch
> for them. Â* I like Munster or a good Jack in my rellenos, for large groups I
> use a Pepper Jack (the heat kick seems to make Â*large groups think they are
> getting their moneys worth). Â*Also try beating an egg and a bit of cilantro,
> chiles, garlic and Mexican Oregano (also spinach or any of your secret
> spice/chile blends work just as well) in a ricotti cheese for filling
> rellenos and enchiladas instead of the typical Cheddar used in many American
> version recipes. Â*Especially nice with Â*lighter pairings of fish, seafood or
> chicken. Â*Karen Hursh Graber, Â*of "Mexican Hot or Not ", Â*fame recommends
> blending cottage and rocotti to make a reques�n.
>
> Recommend you bookmark Â*this link, lots of cooking info on all cuisines:http://www.practicallyedible.com/edi...ia!openframese....
>
> Some other bookmarks on M. cheeses:http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/mexicancheeses.htm
> slightly different:http://mexican-food.suite101.com/art...eses_of_mexico
>
> As always, Â*Rolly's ( One of the GodFathers here) sitehttp://rollybrook.com/chiles_rellenos.htm#toastinghas good info, recipes
> and pics if you need them.
>
> "Nanzi" Â*wrote...
> >I want to make Chiles Rellenos.
> >When I shopped for cheese, there were lots of them

> Â* All help is appreciatedl
> Â*Nan

Thanks so much for the links and info. I think I can use Fresco
Blanco. I bought some cheese not too long ago that said Mexican
Melting Cheese. Dumb me didn't take stock of what KIND of cheese it
was. And I'm not sure which store it was in. Def not WallyWorld, or
they were out of it. I'll check the other 2 stores it may have been.
Thanks again, and I'll try your ricotta mix. Love ricotta, I could eat
it with a spoon right out of the carton.
Nan
Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

For melting cheese look for "Queso Chihuahua" , Chihuahua, besides of
being a mexican state is a style of cheese, not a brand. Another
option to look for is "Queso Asadero"

Good luck

On 17 jul, 07:37, Nanzi > wrote:
> I want to make Chiles Rellenos. When I shopped for cheese, there were
> lots of them but I didn't know which one is the melting cheese. What
> is it's name? *I saw queso fresca, questo blanca, and something called
> frying cheese. *And do I need to make a cheese sauce not just slice or
> grate the cheese. *All help is appreciatedl
> Nan in DE

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Jul 22, 6:52*pm, wrote:
> For melting cheese look for "Queso Chihuahua" , Chihuahua, besides of
> being a mexican state is a style of cheese, not a brand. Another
> option to look for is "Queso Asadero"
>
> Good luck
>
> On 17 jul, 07:37, Nanzi > wrote:
>
> > I want to make Chiles Rellenos. When I shopped for cheese, there were
> > lots of them but I didn't know which one is the melting cheese. What
> > is it's name? *I saw queso fresca, questo blanca, and something called
> > frying cheese. *And do I need to make a cheese sauce not just slice or
> > grate the cheese. *All help is appreciatedl
> > Nan in DE

Thank you, I will keep an eye out for them. Delaware isn't exactly
the Mexican mecca for food, but we do have a couple of good Mexican
groceries and eating spots.
Nan
Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Jul 23, 12:29*pm, Nanzi > wrote:
> On Jul 22, 6:52*pm, wrote:
>

> > For melting cheese look for "Queso Chihuahua" , Chihuahua, besides of
> > being a mexican state is a style of cheese, not a brand. Another
> > option to look for is "Queso Asadero"

> > Good luck

> > On 17 jul, 07:37, Nanzi > wrote:

> > > I want to make Chiles Rellenos. When I shopped for cheese, there were
> > > lots of them but I didn't know which one is the melting cheese. What
> > > is it's name? *I saw queso fresca, questo blanca, and something called
> > > frying cheese. *And do I need to make a cheese sauce not just slice or
> > > grate the cheese. *All help is appreciatedl
> > > Nan in DE

> Thank you, I will keep an eye out for them. *Delaware isn't exactly
> the Mexican mecca for food, but we do have a couple of good Mexican
> groceries and eating spots.
> Nan-

Go to Kennet Square, PA. There are a lot of Mexican workers in the
mushroom caves (mines?). There should be a decent Mexican grocery or
two in the area.. and for a meal, try Taqueria Moroleone.. Guanajuato
style Mexican food. Comida muy sabrosa...

T.
Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Jul 24, 7:11*am, tbs48 > wrote:
> On Jul 23, 12:29*pm, Nanzi > wrote:
>

> > On Jul 22, 6:52*pm, wrote:

> > > For melting cheese look for "Queso Chihuahua" , Chihuahua, besides of
> > > being a mexican state is a style of cheese, not a brand. Another
> > > option to look for is "Queso Asadero"

> > > Good luck

> > Thank you, I will keep an eye out for them. *Delaware isn't exactly
> > the Mexican mecca for food, but we do have a couple of good Mexican
> > groceries and eating spots.
> > Nan-

> Go to Kennet Square, PA. There are a lot of Mexican workers in the
> mushroom caves (mines?). There should be a decent *Mexican grocery or
> two in the area.. and for a meal, try Taqueria Moroleone.. Guanajuato
> style Mexican food. Comida muy sabrosa...
>
> T.

Kennett Square is a 100 mile round trip, and while it is a lovely
area, I'm thinking it is silly to go that far for a 6$ chunk of
cheese. And I'd have to stop somewhere and get good Mushroom dinner,
love the fungi!!!
Thanks for the suggestion, and the cheese suggestion!!
Nan
Member

Jalapeno- flavor cheese, Monterey Jack cheese, Chedder cheese will go with chiles rellones. Mexican cheeses are mild not hot and spicy. Melting cheeses are generally mild tasting and smooth textured.They are often eaten as a snack right out of the package and do not seperate into oil and solids when they are heated.
Lonet

Guaranteed ROI
Member

questo blanca is the best