FoodBanter.com

-   Mexican Cooking (https://www.foodbanter.com/mexican-cooking/)
-   -   What is "Pechugas al Estilo Sonora?" (https://www.foodbanter.com/mexican-cooking/155808-what-pechugas-al-estilo.html)

Fred Lackey 18-05-2008 04:33 PM

What is "Pechugas al Estilo Sonora?"

I am trying to find a recipe for a sauce that I had a few days ago.
We stopped by a small Mexican restaruant and I had "Pechugas al Estilo
Sonora" (ordered it by pointing at a photo). It was one of the best
seafood dishes I have ever tasted... mainly because of the sauce.
Unfortunately, I do not speak Spanish and cannot find the recipe
online. Can someone please tell me what this is or maybe point me to
an English translation of a recipe?

Thank you, in advance, for anyone who can help.

Thanx,
Fred

The Ranger[_6_] 18-05-2008 04:39 PM

Fred Lackey > wrote in message
> I am trying to find a recipe for a sauce that I had a
> few days ago. We stopped by a small Mexican
> restaruant and I had "Pechugas al Estilo Sonora"
> (ordered it by pointing at a photo). It was one
> of the best seafood dishes I have ever tasted...
> mainly because of the sauce. Unfortunately, I do
> not speak Spanish and cannot find the recipe
> online. Can someone please tell me what this is
> or maybe point me to an English translation of a
> recipe?

Breasts to the Sonorous Style is what Babel Fish translated it
to. :) Are you sure it was seafood and not chicken?

What was in it?

The Ranger

Fred Lackey 18-05-2008 04:56 PM

What is "Pechugas al Estilo Sonora?"

> Breasts to the Sonorous Style is what Babel Fish translated it
> to. :) Are you sure it was seafood and not chicken?
>
> What was in it?

Ranger,

THANK YOU for helping. Because of your reply I was able to figure out
that the receipt was wrong. So, I tracked down their web site AND
MENU online (I tried calling them but the language barrier was too
great and they politely ended the call... I think).

What I had was tilapia. The dish was called "Tilapia Ala
Veracruzana". The menu is a bit difficult to read because of how it
was scanned, but the description says, "Fresh sauteed Tilapia
smothered in hearty Veracruzana Sauce with sauteed Chili Pablano &
Mushrooms."

Here are the links...

THIER SITE:
http://www.casamexicanabargrill.com

THEIR MENU:
http://www.casamexicanabargrill.com/mex006.pdf

I'm getting closer! I'm still a bit clueless, but I'm getting
closer! =)

Thanx,
Fred

~ 18-05-2008 06:59 PM

On May 18, 8:56�am, Fred Lackey > wrote:

> What I had was tilapia. �The dish was called "Tilapia Ala
> Veracruzana". �The menu is a bit difficult to read because of how it
> was scanned, but the description says, "Fresh sauteed Tilapia
> smothered in hearty Veracruzana Sauce with sauteed Chili Pablano &
> Mushrooms."

Tilapia is an African cichlid, related to the perch, which has become
a food fish world wide because it reproduces rapidly.

To find something a little more Mexican "authentic" (for whatever
that's worth) a fish called
a "mojarra" should be used.

Mexican cooks also fry tilapia or mojarra to a crisp and serve either
fish as "mojarra".

You can use fresh poblano chiles, or dried ancho chiles in the sauce.

[email protected] 20-05-2008 11:42 PM

What is "Pechugas al Estilo Sonora?"

Fish a la Veracruzana or Veracruz style ...

Here is a recipe in original spanish:

http://www.clubplaneta.com.mx/cocina...acr uzana.htm

And translated by google:

http://translate.google.com/translat...F8&sl=es&tl=en

I hope this helps

Regards

gunner 21-05-2008 12:34 AM

What is "Pechugas al Estilo Sonora?"

"Fred Lackey" > wrote in message

> " The dish was called "Tilapia Ala Veracruzana".

> "description says, "Fresh sauteed Tilapia smothered in hearty Veracruzana

Sauce with sauteed Chili Pablano & Mushrooms."

Fred , Use what ever protein you can acquire/like. Most firm white flesh
fish is
very similiar in taste and texture. Tilipa just happens to be a cost
effective as well as an "Eco-Friendly" protein buy for eateries. IMO, a
mildly weak flavor that needs a great
sauce/supporting cast. Snapper/Grouper/Bass, even a Drum or Sheepshead is
my preference, if fresh.

Just remember you can adopt and adapt any ingredient as you need or like.
The classic Veracruz style sauce centers around a balance of acids/textures
in the tomato, olives, caper, a kiss of herbs complementing the
garlic/onion and the pungent heat of the Capiscum. Just like a version of
Salsa Fresca. In yours, it was a chile and mushroom combo you mention.

Cook the fish by frying/grilling and then topping with the sauce or by
broiling in the sauce. Just do not overcook the fish, take it off at the
onset and let the residual heat carry it over to doneness.

A basic sauce "in the style of Veracruz":

1/4 c Olive oil
5 Garlic cloves; peeled
1 Onion; chopped fine
2 lb Tomatoes; crushed or chopped
1 tspn capers
12 Pimiento-stuffed olives
2 jalapenos or any pepper of choice, thin sliced
2 Bay leaves
2 Fresh chopped thyme
2 Fresh chopped marjoram
1/4 tspn Mexican oregano
Salt & pepper to taste

Heat olive oil in a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium-high heat.
Crush 3 garlic cloves with the back of a knife and add to the oil . Cook to
flavor oil.
Remove and discard garlic.

Mince 2 remaining garlic cloves and add along with onion. Cook,
stirring often, until the onion is translucent(2-3 minutes). Add tomatoes,
stir well and cook, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes. Add capers,
olives, Peppers, bay leaves, thyme, marjoram and Mexican oregano. Cook,
until thickened, about 30 minutes. Add salt/pepper to taste.

Discard herb stems and bay leaves.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._26463,00.html

http://www.bigoven.com/158350-Grille...uz-recipe.html

http://www.cooking.com/recipes/static/recipe1122.htm