Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Default Red, Green... No Biggie

Was browsing the recipe section of a magazine I receive and saw:

http://jas.familyfun.go.com/recipefi...splay?id=40026

It's touted as the "WORLD'S BEST CHILI VERDE" but laughed when I
saw the ingredients. Red, green; tomatilloes, tomatoes... No
biggie.

The Ranger

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Feb 5, 8:17*am, "The Ranger" > wrote:
> Was browsing the recipe section of a magazine I receive and saw:
>
> http://jas.familyfun.go.com/recipefi...splay?id=40026
>
> It's touted as the "WORLD'S BEST CHILI VERDE" but laughed when I
> saw the ingredients. Red, green; tomatilloes, tomatoes... No
> biggie.
>
> The Ranger

Hey Ranger,
just made Chili Verde for yesterdays dinner... We used Tomatillos,
cilantro and jalapeno all green probably good for St Patricks day
It was very yummy...
Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

chilichick > wrote in message
On Feb 5, 8:17 am, "The Ranger" > wrote:
>> Was browsing the recipe section of a magazine I receive and
>> saw:
>>
>> http://jas.familyfun.go.com/recipefi...splay?id=40026
>>
>> It's touted as the "WORLD'S BEST CHILI VERDE"
>> but laughed when I saw the ingredients. Red, green;
>> tomatilloes, tomatoes... No biggie.
>>

> just made Chili Verde for yesterdays dinner... We used
> Tomatillos, cilantro and jalapeno all green probably good
> for St Patricks day It was very yummy...

As is mine when I use the very same ingredients. I thought the
idea of using tomatoes over tomatilloes was laughable and only
someone ignorant of many things (but in particular, the name of
the recipe) would label it "Chile Verde" -- let alone "the WORLD'S
BEST."

Hello? "Verde" means "green."

As far as having it on that holiest of holy days, St. Patrick's;
what an interesting notion! You can light yourself up with the
peppers and douse it with the booze!

The Ranger

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"The Ranger" > wrote in message
> Was browsing the recipe section of a magazine I receive and saw:
>
> http://jas.familyfun.go.com/recipefi...splay?id=40026
>
> It's touted as the "WORLD'S BEST CHILI VERDE" but laughed when I saw the
> ingredients. Red, green; tomatilloes, tomatoes... No biggie.
>
> The Ranger

Don't laugh too hard Ranger Chile verde is sometimes made with tomato:
http://www.vivanewmexico.com/nm/food...ile.html#sauce
http://newmexicanconnection.com/cata...products_id=31

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Gunner > wrote in message
> "The Ranger" > wrote in message
>> Was browsing the recipe section of a magazine I
>> receive and saw:
>>
>> http://jas.familyfun.go.com/recipefi...splay?id=40026
>>
>> It's touted as the "WORLD'S BEST CHILI VERDE"
>> but laughed when I saw the ingredients. Red, green;
>> tomatilloes, tomatoes... No biggie.
>>

> Don't laugh too hard Ranger Chile verde is sometimes
> made with tomato:
> http://www.vivanewmexico.com/nm/food...ile.html#sauce
> http://newmexicanconnection.com/cata...products_id=31

Of that I have no doubt. And Velveeta or Cracker Barrel can be
substituted in place of any cheese, too. Just because people
substitute a familiar vegetable or fruit for an unfamiliar, or
unwanted, fruit or vegetable, doesn't mean that it should be
accepted -- either as a part that dish (that has the actual
descriptor in its name) or The WORLD'S BEST.

The Ranger

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"The Ranger" > wrote in message
> Gunner > wrote in message
>> "The Ranger" > wrote in message
>>> Was browsing the recipe section of a magazine I
>>> receive and saw:
>>>
>>> http://jas.familyfun.go.com/recipefi...splay?id=40026
>>>
>>> It's touted as the "WORLD'S BEST CHILI VERDE"
>>> but laughed when I saw the ingredients. Red, green;
>>> tomatilloes, tomatoes... No biggie.
>>>

>> Don't laugh too hard Ranger Chile verde is sometimes
>> made with tomato:
>> http://www.vivanewmexico.com/nm/food...ile.html#sauce
>> http://newmexicanconnection.com/cata...products_id=31

> Of that I have no doubt. And Velveeta or Cracker Barrel can be substituted
> in place of any cheese, too. Just because people substitute a familiar
> vegetable or fruit for an unfamiliar, or unwanted, fruit or vegetable,
> doesn't mean that it should be accepted -- either as a part that dish
> (that has the actual descriptor in its name) or The WORLD'S BEST.
>
> The Ranger

Damn, all this time I though Chile Verde was because of the green chiles.
Can I still use potatoes?

Now about that Cheese analogy, don't use either one so I can't comment on
what your tasting there or what you would sub it for, but using your
unacceptable analogy does this mean no more accepting yellow cheddar in
Mexican food either? That is going to upset many, many gringos.

As for the WORLD'S BEST title? Well, Ranger Buddy, it was the Disney
Channel you read and looked it up on, you know faiery tales and Once upon a
time, far, far away.... As much credence in that as cooking experts on RFC.

Just remember, what goes on in Disney Land, stays in .......