Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Default Recipe -- Chorizo-Beef Nachos

From Sunset Magazine, January 2008 issue. We had this dish
watching Cruz Azul physically pound Santos. I ended up using all
the ingredients (2 lbs of beef and Spanish chorizo) as my locusts
descended. There has been a request to make a larger portion for
Super Bowl Sunday.

Chorizo-Beef Nachos
The ultimate crowd-pleaser, nachos were invented in 1943 by a
maître d' in Piedras Negras, Mexico (just south of the Texas
border). Ignacio "Nacho" Anaya, working a solo shift at the
Victory Club restaurant, cobbled together a pile of tortilla chips
topped with melted cheese and pickled jalapeños for a group of
U.S. military wives in for a snack. His creation became hugely
popular, paving the way for massive concession-stand revenues
across America. Our super-stacked version has tangy chorizo, juicy
chopped steak, black beans, guacamole, and crisp lettuce. Prep and
Cook Time: about 45 minutes. Notes: Skirt steak gives the meat
sauce the most texture, but you can use ground beef if you have it
around. For the quickest preparation, buy shredded cheese and
lettuce.

Ingredients

5 ounces skirt steak (see Notes), chopped, or lean ground beef
5 ounces Mexican chorizo, casing removed, finely crumbled
1 medium onion
1 large garlic clove
1 teaspoon ground cumin, divided
1 1/2 cups plus 1 tbsp. mild to hot salsa verde
1 can (15 oz.) black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
1 can (4 oz.) diced green chiles, drained
1 large, ripe avocado
1 tablespoon lime juice
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, divided
Kosher salt
9 cups tortilla chips
2 cups (1/2 lb.) shredded jack cheese
1 quart finely shredded Iceberg lettuce

Preparation
1. Preheat oven to 400°. In a large frying pan over medium-high
heat, brown steak and chorizo, stirring, about 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, chop onion and mince garlic. Add onion and all but 1/8
tsp. cumin to pan. Stir often until onion is soft, 4 to 5 minutes.
Reduce heat to medium; stir in 1 1/2 cups salsa. Simmer until
thick, 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. While steak mixture simmers, combine black beans, 3/4 cup
water, oregano, 1 tsp. garlic, and chiles in a small saucepan.
Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium and
simmer until all but about 1/4 cup liquid has evaporated, 10
minutes.
3. Meanwhile, make guacamole: Pit and peel avocado. In a bowl,
mash avocado with remaining 1 tbsp. salsa, remaining 1/8 tsp.
cumin, remaining garlic, and the lime juice. Stir 1 tbsp. cilantro
into guacamole and add salt to taste.
4. Line a large, rimmed baking pan with parchment paper. Arrange
chips in a 12-in.-wide circle. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake until
cheese melts, 3 to 4 minutes.
5. While chips are baking, arrange lettuce around rim of a large
serving platter (at least 16 in. wide). With a wide spatula,
loosen chips from parchment. Carefully lift parchment from pan,
then slide chips off paper into center of platter. Spoon meat
mixture over chips. With a slotted spoon, top with beans. Spoon
guacamole over center of nachos and sprinkle with remaining 1
tbsp. cilantro.

Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Yield

Makes 6 servings
Nutritional Information

CALORIES 795(55% from fat); FAT 49g (sat 16g); PROTEIN 29g;
CHOLESTEROL 75mg; SODIUM 1271mg; FIBER 0.0g; CARBOHYDRATE 63g

Sunset, JANUARY 2008

The Ranger

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

These look really good. I think I will make them for Super Bowl Sunday
as well. The store I shop at sells Salvadoran Chorizo. I guess that
will work just as well. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
~ ~ is offline

On Jan 21, 9:01�pm, Sqwertz > wrote:

> Anybody know for sure? �Google doesn't really help, but I do see
> several Spanish choriZos

If you want to read about really authentically Spanish chorizo, Google
for "xorizo".

The "x" was used to signify the "ch" sound before Castillian Spanish
was standardized.

If you run across text like this in your search: "pepino kon
xorizo(esta rikisimo)"
the person is writing in Djudio-Espanyol, the "Ladino" of the
Sephardic Jews who were expelled from Spain during the Inquisition.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 22:08:33 -0500, Rhonda wrote:
>
>> These look really good. I think I will make them for Super Bowl Sunday
>> as well. The store I shop at sells Salvadoran Chorizo. I guess that
>> will work just as well. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

> I always thought "Chorizo" was the Mexican spelling for the lymph
> node and lip cocktail, and "Choriso" was the Spanish/Portugese
> version (more like normal sausage).
>
> Anybody know for sure? Google doesn't really help, but I do see
> several Spanish choriZos
>
> -sw

Steve, I assume you refer to raw Chorizo fresco and "(more like normal
sausage)" to be one of the types of cured sausages like a salumi. That pig
spit and lymph node goo tube is chile flavored scrap filler meat at a dollar
two ninety eight a lb that US slaughter houses ares feeding the American
public touting it to be "authentic" Mexican Chorizo fresco. If you like
flossing your teeth when you eat and recycling waste scraps, that
commerical chorizo (dare I say fresco) crap will continue to fit the bill.
It adds nothing to the flavor of chorizo as discussed on RFC in previous
posts.

This link best answers your "question" on Spanish charcuterie:
http://www.laespanolameats.com/Merch...reen=foodguide

I venture your "choriso" is basteridized Portugese for Chouriço
http://www.informationdelight.info/e.../entry/Chorizo
http://www.leitesculinaria.com/dictionary/chourico.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%87

Good quality Chorizo Fresco is not hard to make; ground pork, an acid(
vinegar and/or tequila work well), some ground chile powder of your choice
and your favorite Mexican spices. Salt season it let it set up for a while,
meanwhile try a small batch for taste then wrap it in plastic and it is
good to go for a week or 2.

Hell, for Super bowl use that packet of Taco seasoning most Americans have
hidden in the back of the spice cabinet in a lb of ground pork ( or beef or
a combo of each), gussy it up pretty with cilantro, S. Cream and Guacamole,
some form of bean product if desired, chopped green chiles and keep em
drinking. I think the chain eateries call it Nachoes Grande and charge you
8-10 bucks as a appetizer.

Member

These would be perfect for the big game! Thanks for the great recipe. I can't wait till my hubby tastes these nachos. Perhaps I can take a little break from my diet and give these a try as well. lol

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 13:54:00 -0800, Gunner wrote:
>
>> Steve, I assume you refer to raw Chorizo fresco and "(more like normal
>> sausage)" to be one of the types of cured sausages like a salumi. That
>> pig
>> spit and lymph node goo tube is chile flavored scrap filler meat at a
>> dollar
>> two ninety eight a lb that US slaughter houses ares feeding the
>> American
>> public touting it to be "authentic" Mexican Chorizo fresco.

> This stuff accounts for 90% of the "chorizo" sold in the U.S. At
> least in the very Mexican cities I've lived in. You probably
> can't find either, in say, South Carolina.
>
> I counted 19 different brands/types on the shelves last week in
> my slightly upscale, mainline grocer (H.E.B in Austin).
>
> Another 5% is chorizo bola or linguisa - both fresh, real
> sausages. Which of course is better, but still undersells the
> lymph node soup almost 20-fold.
>
> I of course know that the chorizo (choriso?) in real casings,
> optionally cured, with lots of paprika (pimenton) and very little
> if any vinegar, in the Spanish style is better.
>
> -sw

Nope. Sorry, don't buy into any of this Steve.