Irma

Default David's pork dish

Hi David,

I hope you don't mind. I copied here your post, it was difficult to follow
and it is quite intresting.

>This weekend, I roasted a pork butt before making green chile stew,
>rather than just cutting up the meat and browning and stewing it.

>Worked great, and I'm sure I'll keep doing it that way. I roasted it
>until just before the "shredded pork" stage.

>For the other part of the meat, I'll either cook it more to shred for
>tacos, or cube it for posole. Life is good!

>David

After the pork was roasted, Did you take part of the fat to prepare the
stew? I wonder how incorported the meat with the sauce.

My husband sometimes roasts pork, but it is a funny way to do it because
after being half an hour in the oven he pours beer and vegetables not to
get dry. When it is ready with the liquids he prepares the sauce... Ok...
This is something different from mexican food but I am interested how to do
it without the meat getting dry...

Thanks.
Irma.

David Wright

On Sun, 16 May 2004 19:02:09 +0200, Irma > wrote:

>Hi David,
>
>I hope you don't mind. I copied here your post, it was difficult to follow
>and it is quite intresting.
>
>>This weekend, I roasted a pork butt before making green chile stew,
>>rather than just cutting up the meat and browning and stewing it.

Hi, Irma,

I hope I can help.

>After the pork was roasted, Did you take part of the fat to prepare the
>stew? I wonder how incorported the meat with the sauce.
>
>My husband sometimes roasts pork, but it is a funny way to do it because
>after being half an hour in the oven he pours beer and vegetables not to
>get dry. When it is ready with the liquids he prepares the sauce... Ok...
>This is something different from mexican food but I am interested how to do
>it without the meat getting dry...
>
>Thanks.
>Irma.

I just roast the pork butt at about 300 F for 3-4 hours, or until it
"seems" cooked to where it's firm enough to cut into chunks but not
enough that it will fall apart in a stew.

When I cut it, there is still a little fat and some connective tissue
showing, but those melt away when I cook it with the posole corn that
I've cooked separately when I make posole, or the little potatoes I'll
put in if I want to make green chile stew.

Dang. I don't know how to explain it, how I do the pork. It's just
when it's right.

Steve Wertz, can you help?

David
Irma

On Tue, 18 May 2004 21:43:03 GMT, David Wright wrote:

Hi David,

You did it very well :-) I understood.

> I just roast the pork butt at about 300 F for 3-4 hours, or until it
> "seems" cooked to where it's firm enough to cut into chunks but not
> enough that it will fall apart in a stew.

Here in the above paragraph you practically answered my question. The pork
I have seen roasted has no fat in the meat. It's totally melted and
sometimes it makes the meat tough and dry. And yes, it is perfectly well as
you did it, because part of the pork fat goes to the stew and gives taste.

I would like to try it with my family. I will go to Mexico soon and we are
always a lot of people. I think it is very easy to roast a big piece and
have it ready to cook as you wish.... Great idea!

Thank you.... :-)

Irma.