Jerry

Default refrief beans

hi can someone tell me how to make refried beans? thank you
John Droge

"Jerry" > wrote in message
> hi can someone tell me how to make refried beans? thank you

Here you go http://www.ochef.com/279.htm
John

Carol Klarr

Refried beans are so simple to make. Cook some pinto beans and then put them
in a skillet with a little oil and get them boiling and then mash them.
"John Droge" > wrote in message

hlink.net...

> "Jerry" > wrote in message
> > hi can someone tell me how to make refried beans? thank you

> Here you go http://www.ochef.com/279.htm
> John

Sam D.

"Jerry" > wrote in message
> hi can someone tell me how to make refried beans? thank you

To get the rich taste of traditional refried beans, it takes pure lard that
is not hydrogenated or otherwise altered. If possible, obtain the lard from
a Mexican meat market where it is usually available in bulk. Beans are cheap
anyway, so buy good quality pre-packaged pinto beans and avoid bulk bins. It
pays. Poor quality beans can ruin a 4-hour long cooking process.

1 lb. dried pinto beans
2-1/2 quarts of water
1/2 tsp.salt (or to taste)
1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
2 Tbsp. finely chopped bell pepper
2-3 cloves of garlic
Pure Lard

First, rinse the beans in a colander. Then put them in a cooking pot and add
the water. Bring the pot to a boil and then add the salt. Turn off the heat
and let the beans soak for at least 2 hours. When the beans are finished
soaking they should be twice their original volume or more.

Add the onion, bell pepper, garlic and 2 tbsp. of lard to the pot. Bring it
to a boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer. Keep the pot covered while
continuing to simmer the beans until they are very tender, about 1-1/2
hours.While the beans are cooking, check them occasionally to make sure that
enough water remains in the pot to cover them Add more water if needed.
When the beans are done you can let them cool for a while before
proceeding..

Using a colander or strainer, fully drain the beans and reserve the liquid.
Next heat a large heavy skillet with about 1/2 cup of lard. Take about 1 cup
of the beans, set them aside and add the rest of the drained beans to the
skillet. Fry them for 10 minutes or so, stirring them around occasionally
until the lard is completely absorbed. Now mash the beans in the skillet and
mix in enough of the liquid that you reserved to obtain the right
consistency, depending on your own preference. And finally, stir in the cup
of unmashed beans you set aside. And there you have it!

Refried beans often taste better after being re-heated the next day.

Incontinentius Buttocks

My method:

I use a 50-50 mixture of oil and butter, about six tbsp of each, in
a frying pan. Butter is necessary for creamy flavor, but using all
butter makes the recipe too heavy on the stomach. Sautée about 1/2 of
a large chopped onion, a couple of cloves of garlic, and about 1/2
teaspoon of ground cumin, along with some salt and fresh ground black
pepper. Be careful not to let the garlic burn, but sautée until the
onion is soft, about five to ten minutes. Then start scooping
well-cooked beans into the frying pan, stirring them around and
mashing them with the spoon/spatula. Keep adding and mashing until you
have added about six cups or so of beans. Add bean stock if necessary
to make the mixture more liquid; cook and stir to thicken it if
necessary. If you run out of bean stock you can add water to thin it
out. Lard is the authentic way to go, but like with Moose Turd Pie, no
one's ever complained about my recipe. ;-)

Art Sackett

Incontinentius Buttocks > wrote:
> My method:
>
> Saut?e about 1/2 of
> a large chopped onion, a couple of cloves of garlic, and about 1/2
> teaspoon of ground cumin, along with some salt and fresh ground black
> pepper.

An interesting variation that I use every once in a while is to add
some diced roasted red and green bell peppers along with the onion and
whatnot. Perhaps inauthentic (depending upon your definition of
authentic, of course), but a nice variation for every once in a while.
Green chiles go well, too.

--
Art Sackett