Karen O'Mara

Default The Ugly American

Previously posted from Dan and I am unable to follow-up on in-line in
that thread:

<<What we Ugly Americans should be learning here is that our
perceptions
about what words mean are not the same as the perceptions of people
who
live in other countries. In the US, we think that "US" and "american"
are
synonyms, whereas in other parts of the world they aren't. It's not a
case of right or wrong, it's a case of words having different meanings
different people. We need to recognize the right of people in other
countries to use words differently.>>

I agree. US and American are synonyms in many parts of the world. In
other parts of the world, they aren't. I think that the term America
or American is commong for US in Mexico, Canada, Europe and Japan. I
think the term is less embraced in Central and South America. I think
it is used in the Middle East.

<<I was listening to the radio yesterday morning and they were playing
an
interview with a US soldier who had escaped from Iraqi hands. He was
in a
US military hospital in Germany and said he was looking forward to
going
back to America. It was pretty obvious that he thought that "america"
meant the US. That's how we use the word in this country.>>

And, that makes him an Ugly American?

I don't think so. It's a word that clearly conveys and was not
inappropriately used. The word was used affectionately and I can't
imagine it being insulting to anyone. Perhaps, that I feel that way,
makes you think of me as being an Ugly American, and that makes you
ugly to me.

Accusing people of being an Ugly American is extremely insulting. I
witnessed an Ugly American in action on my last trip to Ireland. A
woman from Texas barged into a conversation that I was having with an
Irish woman who made lace from hand. She interrupted us and started
showing off her talents for lace-making, describing her fancy tools,
asking no questions or showing no interest in the Irish lace-maker.
She had a booming voice, with a strong Texan accent, big hair and
jewels, and left as quickly as she arrived.

I was speechless. My traveling companions and I commented later how we
wished we could apologize for this Ugly American to nice lace-maker
lady and her daughter. But, that would awkward, too.

An Ugly American is more than clumsy.

Karen
Steve Wertz

What an Ugly Thread.
Jim Lane

Karen O'Mara wrote:

> Previously posted from Dan and I am unable to follow-up on in-line in
> that thread:
>
> <<What we Ugly Americans should be learning here is that our
> perceptions
> about what words mean are not the same as the perceptions of people
> who
> live in other countries. In the US, we think that "US" and "american"
> are
> synonyms, whereas in other parts of the world they aren't. It's not a
> case of right or wrong, it's a case of words having different meanings
> different people. We need to recognize the right of people in other
> countries to use words differently.>>
>
> I agree. US and American are synonyms in many parts of the world. In
> other parts of the world, they aren't. I think that the term America
> or American is commong for US in Mexico, Canada, Europe and Japan. I
> think the term is less embraced in Central and South America. I think
> it is used in the Middle East.
>
> <<I was listening to the radio yesterday morning and they were playing
> an
> interview with a US soldier who had escaped from Iraqi hands. He was
> in a
> US military hospital in Germany and said he was looking forward to
> going
> back to America. It was pretty obvious that he thought that "america"
> meant the US. That's how we use the word in this country.>>
>
> And, that makes him an Ugly American?
>
> I don't think so. It's a word that clearly conveys and was not
> inappropriately used. The word was used affectionately and I can't
> imagine it being insulting to anyone. Perhaps, that I feel that way,
> makes you think of me as being an Ugly American, and that makes you
> ugly to me.
>
> Accusing people of being an Ugly American is extremely insulting. I
> witnessed an Ugly American in action on my last trip to Ireland. A
> woman from Texas barged into a conversation that I was having with an
> Irish woman who made lace from hand. She interrupted us and started
> showing off her talents for lace-making, describing her fancy tools,
> asking no questions or showing no interest in the Irish lace-maker.
> She had a booming voice, with a strong Texan accent, big hair and
> jewels, and left as quickly as she arrived.
>
> I was speechless. My traveling companions and I commented later how we
> wished we could apologize for this Ugly American to nice lace-maker
> lady and her daughter. But, that would awkward, too.
>
> An Ugly American is more than clumsy.
>
> Karen

Very well put, Karen. I was in a meeting a couple of nights ago and one
of the youngsters commented about how he would like to go back into the
Marines and go get some "towel heads," which he used as a collective
term for Middle Easteners, not the combatants. I reminded him that not
everyone is a "towel head" and that there were a lot of good people
there dressed very much like those who aren't so good.

Had I been where you were, I might have commented to the Irish pair,
that now that the worst part of the day had occured, the rest should be
very pleasant. However, your astonishment probably showed your
sentiments clearly.

jim
Dan Abel

In article >,
(Karen O'Mara) wrote:

> <<What we Ugly Americans should be learning here is that our
> perceptions
> about what words mean are not the same as the perceptions of people
> who
> live in other countries. In the US, we think that "US" and "american"
> are
> synonyms, whereas in other parts of the world they aren't. It's not a
> case of right or wrong, it's a case of words having different meanings
> different people. We need to recognize the right of people in other
> countries to use words differently.>>

> <<I was listening to the radio yesterday morning and they were playing
> an
> interview with a US soldier who had escaped from Iraqi hands. He was
> in a
> US military hospital in Germany and said he was looking forward to
> going
> back to America. It was pretty obvious that he thought that "america"
> meant the US. That's how we use the word in this country.>>

> And, that makes him an Ugly American?

> I don't think so. It's a word that clearly conveys and was not
> inappropriately used. The word was used affectionately and I can't
> imagine it being insulting to anyone. Perhaps, that I feel that way,
> makes you think of me as being an Ugly American, and that makes you
> ugly to me.

I agree. The audience for the interview was people in the US, and the
context was clear. This was the first example that popped into my mind of
a person from the US using the word "america" to mean the US. As you have
observed, we do this all the time. I can't imagine you as an Ugly
American, just that this thread reminded me of that book.

--
Dan Abel
Sonoma State University

Karen O'Mara

Steve Wertz > wrote in message >...
> What an Ugly Thread.

Well, we're not in Kansas anymore.

Karen

DaveH

Dan said:
"What we Ugly Americans should be learning here is that our
perceptions bout what words mean are not the same as the perceptions
of people who live in other countries. "

and--

"We need to recognize the right of people in other
countries to use words differently."

That should read "We need to recognize the right of people in other
countries to use words incorrectly".

U.S. citizens are the only Americans--Period. There is no debate.
Canada is not called the "Canadian States of America", for example.

It is now fashionable amongst inferior minds to punch the U.S. in the
gut at every possible opportunity--a state of mind I detest.
"A good American is self-loathing one." Every effort must be made to
diminish American legitimacy and America's unique identity.

We live in the age of insanity.

Dave -- Cultivating my American Ugliness with maximum power.

Jim Lane

DaveH wrote:
> Dan said:
> "What we Ugly Americans should be learning here is that our
> perceptions bout what words mean are not the same as the perceptions
> of people who live in other countries. "
>
> and--
>
> "We need to recognize the right of people in other
> countries to use words differently."
>
> That should read "We need to recognize the right of people in other
> countries to use words incorrectly".
>
> U.S. citizens are the only Americans--Period. There is no debate.
> Canada is not called the "Canadian States of America", for example.
>
> It is now fashionable amongst inferior minds to punch the U.S. in the
> gut at every possible opportunity--a state of mind I detest.
> "A good American is self-loathing one." Every effort must be made to
> diminish American legitimacy and America's unique identity.
>
> We live in the age of insanity.
>
> Dave -- Cultivating my American Ugliness with maximum power.

Go spout your moronic opinion to the braindead. They'll fall right in
line with you. If you weren't just a low-level, mentalmidget troll,
you'ld be worth educating. Alas, you're a waste of chemicals that could
have been put to better use, like making pond scum. Go argue your
definition of "American" with any dictionary you are cpaapble of reading
and understanding. Ignorance is bliss. And you're very blissful.

jim
DaveH

On Sat, 05 Jun 2004 17:43:02 -0700, Jim Lane >
wrote:

>DaveH wrote:
>> Dan said:
>> "What we Ugly Americans should be learning here is that our
>> perceptions bout what words mean are not the same as the perceptions
>> of people who live in other countries. "
>>
>> and--
>>
>> "We need to recognize the right of people in other
>> countries to use words differently."
>>
>> That should read "We need to recognize the right of people in other
>> countries to use words incorrectly".
>>
>> U.S. citizens are the only Americans--Period. There is no debate.
>> Canada is not called the "Canadian States of America", for example.
>>
>> It is now fashionable amongst inferior minds to punch the U.S. in the
>> gut at every possible opportunity--a state of mind I detest.
>> "A good American is self-loathing one." Every effort must be made to
>> diminish American legitimacy and America's unique identity.
>>
>> We live in the age of insanity.
>>
>> Dave -- Cultivating my American Ugliness with maximum power.
>>

>Go spout your moronic opinion to the braindead. They'll fall right in
>line with you. If you weren't just a low-level, mentalmidget troll,
>you'ld be worth educating. Alas, you're a waste of chemicals that could
>have been put to better use, like making pond scum. Go argue your
>definition of "American" with any dictionary you are cpaapble of reading
>and understanding. Ignorance is bliss. And you're very blissful.
>

>jim

QED
DaveH

Dictionarys as final arbiter of contemporary terms.

Time to refine your "shades of grey" capabilities, Jim.

DaveH

wrote:

>DaveH wrote:
>> Dan said:
>> "What we Ugly Americans should be learning here is that our
>> perceptions bout what words mean are not the same as the perceptions
>> of people who live in other countries. "
>>
>> and--
>>
>> "We need to recognize the right of people in other
>> countries to use words differently."
>>
>> That should read "We need to recognize the right of people in other
>> countries to use words incorrectly".
>>
>> U.S. citizens are the only Americans--Period. There is no debate.
>> Canada is not called the "Canadian States of America", for example.
>>
>> It is now fashionable amongst inferior minds to punch the U.S. in the
>> gut at every possible opportunity--a state of mind I detest.
>> "A good American is self-loathing one." Every effort must be made to
>> diminish American legitimacy and America's unique identity.
>>
>> We live in the age of insanity.
>>
>> Dave -- Cultivating my American Ugliness with maximum power.
>>

>Go spout your moronic opinion to the braindead. They'll fall right in
>line with you. If you weren't just a low-level, mentalmidget troll,
>you'ld be worth educating. Alas, you're a waste of chemicals that could
>have been put to better use, like making pond scum. Go argue your
>definition of "American" with any dictionary you are cpaapble of reading
>and understanding. Ignorance is bliss. And you're very blissful.
>

>jim

Jim Lane

DaveH wrote:
> Dictionarys as final arbiter of contemporary terms.
>
> Time to refine your "shades of grey" capabilities, Jim.
>
> DaveH
>

> On Sat, 05 Jun 2004 17:43:02 -0700, Jim Lane >
> wrote:
>

>>DaveH wrote:
>>
>>>Dan said:
>>>"What we Ugly Americans should be learning here is that our
>>>perceptions bout what words mean are not the same as the perceptions
>>>of people who live in other countries. "
>>>
>>>and--
>>>
>>>"We need to recognize the right of people in other
>>>countries to use words differently."
>>>------------------------------------------------
>>>
>>>That should read "We need to recognize the right of people in other
>>>countries to use words incorrectly".
>>>
>>>U.S. citizens are the only Americans--Period. There is no debate.
>>>Canada is not called the "Canadian States of America", for example.
>>>
>>>It is now fashionable amongst inferior minds to punch the U.S. in the
>>>gut at every possible opportunity--a state of mind I detest.
>>>"A good American is self-loathing one." Every effort must be made to
>>>diminish American legitimacy and America's unique identity.
>>>
>>>We live in the age of insanity.
>>>
>>>Dave -- Cultivating my American Ugliness with maximum power.
>>>

>>Go spout your moronic opinion to the braindead. They'll fall right in
>>line with you. If you weren't just a low-level, mentalmidget troll,
>>you'ld be worth educating. Alas, you're a waste of chemicals that could
>>have been put to better use, like making pond scum. Go argue your
>>definition of "American" with any dictionary you are cpaapble of reading
>>and understanding. Ignorance is bliss. And you're very blissful.
>>

>>jim

Your problem, not mine, mentalmidget.

jim