Charles Gifford

Default carnitas--a stupid q

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 03 May 2004 08:24:13 GMT, "Charles Gifford"
> > wrote:
>
> >Carnitas are pork. Never had shredded meat called carnitas. I think that

the
> >name alone excludes shredded meat.

> Ahh, but if the name alone can somehow exclude beef, how can it
> exclude shredding?
>
> ;-)
>
> -sw

I explained my reasons elsewhere, but I'll try to explain my thinking.

1. "Carnitas" means little meats. This indicates small chunks of a larger
piece of meat. Not shredded but little meats - chunks.

2. Culinarily, the food "Carnitas" is generally accepted to mean pork.

Charlie

Frogleg

On Tue, 04 May 2004 09:04:44 GMT, "Charles Gifford"
> wrote:

>"Frogleg" > wrote
>>
>> Since "carnitas" means 'little meat(s)', the food animal involved
>> appears to be a matter of choice and/or tradition. Seems to me it's
>> sort of like saying "roast" is a *recipe* that means a 6-rib chunk of
>> cooked beef.

>Let us each be more clear then Frogleg. My attempt was directed at 2 issues.
>
>1) Carnitas are made from pork, as far as I have ever heard. You would be
>correct in pointing out that carne is meat but you did not. Carne is
>undefined meat. However, in use, the word "carnitas" is generally accepted
>by most cooks and eaters as referring to cooked pork pieces.

I did a little web research and found (many) recipes (in English)
titled "Carnitas" which involved pork, beef, and lamb. The final
products ranged from stew to roast to taco or tamale filling. Methods
included braising, roasting, broiling, grilling, and frying. Meat cuts
recommended included the cheapest, fattest roast to dainty tenderloin.
I'm perfectly happy to accept that in Mexico, if you speak of
carnitas, you speak of pork. However, this seems to be a 'recipe'
similar to BBQ -- that is, a subject of endless argument as to both
ingredients and methods.

The OP asked if she could make "carnitas" with beef brisket. I'd say,
"sure. Go ahead. Just call it 'Jean's Secret Mexican Brisket'" to
avoid controversy.
Steve Wertz

On Fri, 07 May 2004 08:00:19 GMT, "Charles Gifford"
> wrote:

>"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
>> On Mon, 03 May 2004 08:24:13 GMT, "Charles Gifford"
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >Carnitas are pork. Never had shredded meat called carnitas. I think that

>the
>> >name alone excludes shredded meat.

>> Ahh, but if the name alone can somehow exclude beef, how can it
>> exclude shredding?

>I explained my reasons elsewhere, but I'll try to explain my thinking.

You didn't need to do that, Charlie. I was poking fun at the
other portion of the thread.

It's clear that some people are trying to take the term literally
and/or traditionally. I know what I consider carnitas (which is
the same idea as yours) and that's all that matters. Other people
are free to believe and argue about what they consider carnitas
and that's fine (but they're still wrong ;-)

-sw
Jim Lane

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On Fri, 07 May 2004 08:00:19 GMT, "Charles Gifford"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message

>>the

>>>Ahh, but if the name alone can somehow exclude beef, how can it
>>>exclude shredding?

>>I explained my reasons elsewhere, but I'll try to explain my thinking.

> You didn't need to do that, Charlie. I was poking fun at the
> other portion of the thread.
>
> It's clear that some people are trying to take the term literally
> and/or traditionally. I know what I consider carnitas (which is
> the same idea as yours) and that's all that matters. Other people
> are free to believe and argue about what they consider carnitas
> and that's fine (but they're still wrong ;-)
>
> -sw

In essence, anyone can call anything they want "carnitas" and it still
won't be carnitas.

jim
Steve Wertz

On Fri, 07 May 2004 20:16:32 -0700, Jim Lane
> wrote:

>In essence, anyone can call anything they want "carnitas" and it still
>won't be carnitas.

Ahh, you have come to accept the things you cannot change. You're
making progress :-)

-sw

Jim Lane

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On Fri, 07 May 2004 20:16:32 -0700, Jim Lane
> > wrote:
>

>>In essence, anyone can call anything they want "carnitas" and it still
>>won't be carnitas.

> Ahh, you have come to accept the things you cannot change. You're
> making progress :-)
>
> -sw

Just don't call me grasshopper!

I googled carnitas and 90%+ of what is found is pork. When someone is
doing otherwise, they get called California Carnitas or appear is
gussied up "cookbooks" like the Maui Onion recipe contest winners, who
will call a dish anything that will attract attenntion to it, relevant
to the dish or not.

One thing for sure, if you go into a food place in Mexio and order
carnitas, odds on, it will be pork.

Luckily, here is San Diego with Porkyland, we don't have to go south of
the border to get real stuff.

jim

jim

jim
Charles Gifford

"Frogleg" > wrote in message

> I did a little web research and found (many) recipes (in English)
> titled "Carnitas" which involved pork, beef, and lamb. The final
> products ranged from stew to roast to taco or tamale filling. Methods
> included braising, roasting, broiling, grilling, and frying. Meat cuts
> recommended included the cheapest, fattest roast to dainty tenderloin.
> I'm perfectly happy to accept that in Mexico, if you speak of
> carnitas, you speak of pork. However, this seems to be a 'recipe'
> similar to BBQ -- that is, a subject of endless argument as to both
> ingredients and methods.
>
> The OP asked if she could make "carnitas" with beef brisket. I'd say,
> "sure. Go ahead. Just call it 'Jean's Secret Mexican Brisket'" to
> avoid controversy.

Stranger things have happened than my being wrong about something. <grin> I
can only go by my experiences. I'd go so far as to suggest "Jean's Secret
Mexican Brisket Carnitas"!

Charlie

Charles Gifford

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message

> You didn't need to do that, Charlie. I was poking fun at the
> other portion of the thread.

Thanks Steve. I didn't catch on. I see it now though! <grin>

Charlie

John Droge

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
news
> On Fri, 07 May 2004 20:16:32 -0700, Jim Lane
> > wrote:
>
> >In essence, anyone can call anything they want "carnitas" and it still
> >won't be carnitas.

> Ahh, you have come to accept the things you cannot change. You're
> making progress :-)
>
> -sw
Steve
You another friend of Bill's
John

Steve Wertz

On Sat, 08 May 2004 19:40:23 GMT, "John Droge"
> wrote:

>"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
>news
>> On Fri, 07 May 2004 20:16:32 -0700, Jim Lane
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >In essence, anyone can call anything they want "carnitas" and it still
>> >won't be carnitas.

>> Ahh, you have come to accept the things you cannot change. You're
>> making progress :-)
>>
>> -sw

>Steve
>You another friend of Bill's

I thought that was part of a generic lords prayer of some sort. I
didn't know it was specific to AA.

-sw (hic)

Jean B.

Charles Gifford wrote:

> Kay will probably be at the San Diego Cook-In in June. She came last year
> and it was great to see her. She is really, really busy so I never know when
> she will appear! She is a marvelous cook and a great person. The lard recipe
> is really easy to do. It just takes a while and patience is required!
>
> Charlie

Ah well, I am on the East Coast....
--
Jean B.
Jean B.

Frogleg wrote:

> I did a little web research and found (many) recipes (in English)
> titled "Carnitas" which involved pork, beef, and lamb. The final
> products ranged from stew to roast to taco or tamale filling. Methods
> included braising, roasting, broiling, grilling, and frying. Meat cuts
> recommended included the cheapest, fattest roast to dainty tenderloin.
> I'm perfectly happy to accept that in Mexico, if you speak of
> carnitas, you speak of pork. However, this seems to be a 'recipe'
> similar to BBQ -- that is, a subject of endless argument as to both
> ingredients and methods.
>
> The OP asked if she could make "carnitas" with beef brisket. I'd say,
> "sure. Go ahead. Just call it 'Jean's Secret Mexican Brisket'" to
> avoid controversy.

Hehe. Yes. I actually did search ere I asked my question, so now
you see part of the source of my confusion. And the recipe that
sparked my musings used beef. I guess they were not too concerned
with the pesky A-word.
--
Jean B.

another stupid question that isn't really stupid, because there really is no such thing as a stupid question blake murphy[_2_] General Cooking 0 01-09-2010 07:39 PM
another stupid question that isn't really stupid, because there really is no such thing as a stupid question blake murphy[_2_] General Cooking 0 01-09-2010 07:36 PM
Stupid rosettes (okay, so it was Stupid Me) Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 11 25-12-2009 02:13 AM
carnitas fishman99 Mexican Cooking 1 12-11-2005 02:47 PM
Carnitas Faith Corlett Recipes (moderated) 0 05-03-2005 03:48 AM