The Ranger

Default Cinco de Mayo #2

Mark Preston > whined in message
om...
[snip]
> [..] I am asking why on earth does the United States
> celebrate a holiday of a foreign nation. We don't
> celebrate any Canadian, Brazilian, Cuban Spanish or even
> Hawaian holidays. So how is it we come to celebrate
> Cinco de Mayo?

You're being thick; it's already explained quite thoroughly -- whether you
like the answer or not provided by several people.

There is a huge Latino population (of most Mexican heritage) in several
states of the 48 Contiguous. They are no less "patriotic" than those of
Irish, German, English, French, or what-have-you heritage. Oktoberfest is
celebrated throughout the US. St. Pat's Day is celebrated throughout the US.
Boxing Day and Canadian Thanksgiving are celebrated. They aren't national
holidays any more than Cinqo de Mayo but, if there's a large enough ethnic
population of the group, you will be more able to promote your heritage's
national celebration more easily. And if you can use the endless corporate
dollars from alcohol companies to promote your festival, so much the better.
USAians are always willing to party down -- especially when booze is
involved.

ObSheesh: Sheesh.

The Ranger

Johnny Quest

"The Ranger" > wrote in message
> Mark Preston > whined in message
> om...
> [snip]
> > [..] I am asking why on earth does the United States
> > celebrate a holiday of a foreign nation. We don't
> > celebrate any Canadian, Brazilian, Cuban Spanish or even
> > Hawaian holidays. So how is it we come to celebrate
> > Cinco de Mayo?

> You're being thick; it's already explained quite thoroughly -- whether you
> like the answer or not provided by several people.
>
> There is a huge Latino population (of most Mexican heritage) in several
> states of the 48 Contiguous. They are no less "patriotic" than those of
> Irish, German, English, French, or what-have-you heritage. Oktoberfest is
> celebrated throughout the US. St. Pat's Day is celebrated throughout the

US.
> Boxing Day and Canadian Thanksgiving are celebrated. They aren't national
> holidays any more than Cinqo de Mayo but, if there's a large enough ethnic
> population of the group, you will be more able to promote your heritage's
> national celebration more easily. And if you can use the endless corporate
> dollars from alcohol companies to promote your festival, so much the

better.
> USAians are always willing to party down -- especially when booze is
> involved.
>
> ObSheesh: Sheesh.
>
> The Ranger

Well said, 'nuff said. DIE THREAD, DIE!!!!

David Wright

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 17:44:08 -0500, Steve Wertz
> wrote:

>His brain isn't Y2K compliant.
>
>-sw

You got that right, Steve! :-)

David

Jim Lane

Steve Wertz wrote:

snip

> His brain isn't Y2K compliant.
>
> -sw

Doubtful there is a functioning one. The only question is whether or not
this is about his bigotry.

jim
Mark Preston

More "bigotted" than thou, pal.

> Are you some kind of bigot, focusing on Mexicans and not Italians,
> Germans or Jews??

Having reviewed all the responses, and in spite of the "animal
cruelty" in most of them, I can find no one "on-point" as to how the
US picked 5/5 for a "secondary" holiday.

All the ranting, chanting, "anger", ad hominum invective, etc.,
unfortuneately, for this ng, doesn't get "close to home" in either an
answer or something else.

As for the poster from 1999, I'm confused about the technique of
responding to a post of the last few day, and seeing the post, above
the original poster's posting. Sorry for the literal verbiage.
NoYoke

On 1 May 2004 12:43:13 -0700, Mark Preston wrote:

> Having reviewed all the responses, and in spite of the "animal
> cruelty" in most of them, I can find no one "on-point" as to how the
> US picked 5/5 for a "secondary" holiday.

I am one of the few that knows the true account of how the US
picked Cinco de Mayo for a "secondary" holiday. After consulting
with the other four elders, we have reached the following
conclusions:

1. You don't appear to be worthy enough to possess such knowledge.

2. You don't appear to intelligent enough to comprehend the hows
and whys.

3. You don't have the "Need To Know".

Run along, grasshopper, before we decide to insert chiles in some
of your warm places.

John Droge

"Mark Preston" > wrote in message
om...
> More "bigotted" than thou, pal.
>
> > Are you some kind of bigot, focusing on Mexicans and not Italians,
> > Germans or Jews??

> Having reviewed all the responses, and in spite of the "animal
> cruelty" in most of them, I can find no one "on-point" as to how the
> US picked 5/5 for a "secondary" holiday.
>
> All the ranting, chanting, "anger", ad hominum invective, etc.,
> unfortuneately, for this ng, doesn't get "close to home" in either an
> answer or something else.
>
> As for the poster from 1999, I'm confused about the technique of
> responding to a post of the last few day, and seeing the post, above
> the original poster's posting. Sorry for the literal verbiage.

Gee Mark I'm sorry you didn't get "it" If you have to ask what "it" is then
you definitely didn't get "it" but for a small fee we will gladly allow you
to attend a highly enlightening seminar on the Big Sur coast or a basement
in the South Bronx (which we will choose at our whim). Following which we
will allow you to attend endless other seminars (again for more fees) so
that you may get "it" better and use "it" in your daily interaction with the
rest of the world who did not get "it"
John--

Jim Lane

Mark Preston wrote:

> More "bigotted" than thou, pal.
>

>>Are you some kind of bigot, focusing on Mexicans and not Italians,
>>Germans or Jews??

> Having reviewed all the responses, and in spite of the "animal
> cruelty" in most of them, I can find no one "on-point" as to how the
> US picked 5/5 for a "secondary" holiday.
>
> All the ranting, chanting, "anger", ad hominum invective, etc.,
> unfortuneately, for this ng, doesn't get "close to home" in either an
> answer or something else.
>
> As for the poster from 1999, I'm confused about the technique of
> responding to a post of the last few day, and seeing the post, above
> the original poster's posting. Sorry for the literal verbiage.

You are actually dumber than the proverbial fencepost. The "US" has not
picked 5/5 as a holiday as has been explained to you very clearly by
several people. Now, furnish "official" proof that it is a US holiday .
Ball is in your court. Looking for the legalization of this holiday,
congressional actions, etc., not your biggoted baiting opinion.

The Mexican holiday, for the nth time, coincides with a propitious time
for college students to blow off steam. Corona, having markting smarts,
picked up on this and has exploited your drunken collegues.

jim
Jim Lane

NoYoke wrote:

> On 1 May 2004 12:43:13 -0700, Mark Preston wrote:
>

>>Having reviewed all the responses, and in spite of the "animal
>>cruelty" in most of them, I can find no one "on-point" as to how the
>>US picked 5/5 for a "secondary" holiday.

> I am one of the few that knows the true account of how the US
> picked Cinco de Mayo for a "secondary" holiday. After consulting
> with the other four elders, we have reached the following
> conclusions:
>
> 1. You don't appear to be worthy enough to possess such knowledge.
>
> 2. You don't appear to intelligent enough to comprehend the hows
> and whys.
>
> 3. You don't have the "Need To Know".
>
> Run along, grasshopper, before we decide to insert chiles in some
> of your warm places.

Said chili should find a comfortable resting place in his left ear which
is lodged firmly where the sun doesn't shine.

jim

Cinco de Mayo jmcquown[_2_] General Cooking 0 05-05-2013 05:21 PM
Cinco de Mayo Noemi Mexican Cooking 0 30-04-2011 06:27 AM
Why -Cinco de Mayo? Secret_Ingredient[_2_] Mexican Cooking 8 12-05-2009 06:41 AM
Cinco De Mayo Dimitri General Cooking 15 06-05-2009 05:41 PM
Cinco de Mayo Chris Neidecker General Cooking 0 06-05-2005 01:45 PM