FoodBanter.com

-   Mexican Cooking (https://www.foodbanter.com/mexican-cooking/)
-   -   Cinco de Mayo (https://www.foodbanter.com/mexican-cooking/14369-cinco-de-mayo.html)

Mark Preston 27-04-2004 12:24 AM

Cinco de Mayo

Why on earth do American celebrate Cinco de Mayo?

In speaking with many Mexican friends, they all say that it's about
their equivalent of Labor Day. If we wanted to have a party about
Mexico, here in the US, shouldn't we celebrate "El Grito", the 16th of
September? Mexican Independence Day?

Simplistic thinking says: "it started by Corona Beer's
advertisements". Yet, I'm sure there's more to it than that.

The obvious that it's a good day to have a beer or margarita is also,
not much help. Well . . . it never hurts to have a beer . . . but
that's another story.

Anybody out there know anything?

Irma 27-04-2004 07:06 AM

Cinco de Mayo

On 26 Apr 2004 16:24:57 -0700, (Mark Preston)
wrote:

>Why on earth do American celebrate Cinco de Mayo?
>
>In speaking with many Mexican friends, they all say that it's about
>their equivalent of Labor Day. If we wanted to have a party about
>Mexico, here in the US, shouldn't we celebrate "El Grito", the 16th of
>September? Mexican Independence Day?
>
>Simplistic thinking says: "it started by Corona Beer's
>advertisements". Yet, I'm sure there's more to it than that.
>
>The obvious that it's a good day to have a beer or margarita is also,
>not much help. Well . . . it never hurts to have a beer . . . but
>that's another story.
>
>Anybody out there know anything?

Hi Mark,

Well, probably those Mexican friends of yours were no so good in
Mexican History. It is not Mexican Independence Day.

It is a day that "La Batalla de Puebla" is celebrated.

Here you have a link to read about it...

http://www.mexonline.com/cinco.htm

Irma.

Jim Lane 27-04-2004 07:33 AM

Cinco de Mayo

Mark Preston wrote:
> Why on earth do American celebrate Cinco de Mayo?
>
> In speaking with many Mexican friends, they all say that it's about
> their equivalent of Labor Day. If we wanted to have a party about
> Mexico, here in the US, shouldn't we celebrate "El Grito", the 16th of
> September? Mexican Independence Day?
>
> Simplistic thinking says: "it started by Corona Beer's
> advertisements". Yet, I'm sure there's more to it than that.
>
> The obvious that it's a good day to have a beer or margarita is also,
> not much help. Well . . . it never hurts to have a beer . . . but
> that's another story.
>
> Anybody out there know anything?

Best way to think about it might be Armed Forces Day. It is military in
nature and was the first (?) time the Mexican Army beat the French at
the battle of Puebla.

It has served as a good break between Easter and the semester end and is
just another reason for gringos to party.

Mexican Independence Day is September 16.

jim

Rich and Patti 27-04-2004 04:13 PM

Cinco de Mayo

Mark Preston wrote:
> Why on earth do American celebrate Cinco de Mayo?
>
> In speaking with many Mexican friends, they all say that it's about
> their equivalent of Labor Day. If we wanted to have a party about
> Mexico, here in the US, shouldn't we celebrate "El Grito", the 16th of
> September? Mexican Independence Day?
>
> Simplistic thinking says: "it started by Corona Beer's
> advertisements". Yet, I'm sure there's more to it than that.
>
> The obvious that it's a good day to have a beer or margarita is also,
> not much help. Well . . . it never hurts to have a beer . . . but
> that's another story.
>
> Anybody out there know anything?

There is some historical opinion that the Battle of Puebla, May 5,
1862, was historically important to the United States as well as
Mexico. The French, Spanish and English had come to Mexico supposedly
to collect debts. The Spanish and English quickly did so and left.
The French had more ambitious plans...annex Mexico, support and supply
the Confederate Army to ultimately divide and destroy the United
States. The underestimated Mexicans kept the French pre-occupied long
enough for the Union Army to defeat the Confederates and preserve the
Union. With the Civil War over, the U.S. sent its support south with
supplies, arms and men to help the Mexicans defeat the French and win
their independence. I'd say it's appropriate for U.S. citizens to
offer a toast to the Mexican victory at Puebla and join the Mexicans
in their celebration.

Rich

Race Bannon 27-04-2004 11:12 PM

Cinco de Mayo

Are you serious? You ask, Why on earth do Americans celebrate Cinco de Mayo?
Don't you realize that Americans at large find any excuse to have a party?

Race

om...

Bob Dietz 28-04-2004 02:49 AM

Cinco de Mayo

"Rich and Patti" > wrote in message
. com...

> Mark Preston wrote:
>
> There is some historical opinion that the Battle of Puebla, May 5,
> 1862, was historically important to the United States as well as
> Mexico. The French, Spanish and English had come to Mexico supposedly
> to collect debts. The Spanish and English quickly did so and left.
> The French had more ambitious plans...annex Mexico, support and supply
> the Confederate Army to ultimately divide and destroy the United
> States. The underestimated Mexicans kept the French pre-occupied long
> enough for the Union Army to defeat the Confederates and preserve the
> Union. With the Civil War over, the U.S. sent its support south with
> supplies, arms and men to help the Mexicans defeat the French and win
> their independence. I'd say it's appropriate for U.S. citizens to
> offer a toast to the Mexican victory at Puebla and join the Mexicans
> in their celebration.

That, and at least some Americans fought on the Mexican side. These were
mostly anti-slave Texans who were prevented from joining up with the Union
army.

Bob Dietz

Johnny Quest 29-04-2004 04:56 AM

Cinco de Mayo

"Race Bannon" > wrote in message
> Are you serious? You ask, Why on earth do Americans celebrate Cinco de

Mayo?
> Don't you realize that Americans at large find any excuse to have a party?
>
> Race

Yeah Race! Like when you gave Hadji and me that wine
and Jessie showed us how to......PARTY!
Johnny
PS
I paid you and I want the negatives. OR ELSE!

Mark Preston 29-04-2004 06:52 PM

Cinco de Mayo

Irma > wrote in message <snip

> >In speaking with many Mexican friends, they all say that it's about
> >their equivalent of Labor Day. If we wanted to have a party about
> >Mexico, here in the US, shouldn't we celebrate "El Grito", the 16th of
> >September? Mexican Independence Day?

DID YOU READ THIS PART?

Mark Preston 29-04-2004 06:54 PM

Cinco de Mayo

Thanks, Rich,

Tu tiene razon!

But, it still doesn't explain how it came to be a popular AMERICAN holiday.

Mark Preston 29-04-2004 06:59 PM

Cinco de Mayo

To all the people below my ORIGINAL post, namely:

|-14 Jim Lane Apr 26, 2004
|-15 Rich and Patti Apr 27, 2004
| \-16 Bob Dietz Apr 27, 2004
\-17 Race Bannon Apr 27, 2004
\-18 Johnny Quest Apr

I am asking why the United States had decided to celebrate a holiday
of another country. We don't celebrate anything from Canada, Costa
Rica, Puerto Rico, Azerbijan, etc.

Now, anybody got any clues?

Jim Lane 29-04-2004 07:16 PM

Cinco de Mayo

Mark Preston wrote:
> Thanks, Rich,
>
> Tu tiene razon!
>
> But, it still doesn't explain how it came to be a popular AMERICAN holiday.

Mexicans, btw, are Americans. Not USians, but Americans. Just like
Canadians and Brazilians. . . common usage aside.

It is popular for the reason I mentioned. Were it not for all the US
college students flocking south for a blow-off before finals and Corona
catering to them, it would be below most everyone's radar screen -
unless they came from Mexico, historical ties to the US notwithstanding.

This "holiday" back in the 60's barely raised eyebrows here in SoCal. As
college kids picked up on the day's timing relative to the usual
semester flow of holidays and tests, it became another reason to go
south and blow-off steam. Nada mas.

Corona, which had gained entry into the US on the back of surfers going
south, saw a good thing. The rest is history.

Cinco is celebrated by a lot of Mexicna Americans in the US because of
their heritage. Look at any big city's Italian section of town on big
holidays or Oktoberfest, if you think only Mexicnas do this. And we
"Americans" celebrate our own holidays while in foreign countries. We
celebrated Thanksgiving in Guadalajara and the 4th of July.

jim

Jim Lane 29-04-2004 07:17 PM

Cinco de Mayo

Mark Preston wrote:

> To all the people below my ORIGINAL post, namely:
>

> |-14 Jim Lane Apr 26, 2004
> |-15 Rich and Patti Apr 27, 2004
> | \-16 Bob Dietz Apr 27, 2004
> \-17 Race Bannon Apr 27, 2004
> \-18 Johnny Quest Apr
>

> I am asking why the United States had decided to celebrate a holiday
> of another country. We don't celebrate anything from Canada, Costa
> Rica, Puerto Rico, Azerbijan, etc.
>
> Now, anybody got any clues?

It is an informal celebration. Otherwise, should me some congressional
act declaring it a holiday. And then, find that same recognition for
Oktoberfest. . .

Get a grip.

jim

Johnny Quest 29-04-2004 07:34 PM

Cinco de Mayo

"Mark Preston" > wrote in message
om...
> To all the people below my ORIGINAL post, namely:
>

> |-14 Jim Lane Apr 26, 2004
> |-15 Rich and Patti Apr 27, 2004
> | \-16 Bob Dietz Apr 27, 2004
> \-17 Race Bannon Apr 27, 2004
> \-18 Johnny Quest Apr
>

> I am asking why the United States had decided to celebrate a holiday
> of another country.

There are 63 million Mexicans in the US.
Texas and California, the largest of the continental states
are inextricably linked to Mexico by history and population.
That's why.

Irma 29-04-2004 09:33 PM

Cinco de Mayo

On 29 Apr 2004 10:52:54 -0700, (Mark Preston)
wrote:

>Irma > wrote in message <snip
>
>> >In speaking with many Mexican friends, they all say that it's about
>> >their equivalent of Labor Day. If we wanted to have a party about
>> >Mexico, here in the US, shouldn't we celebrate "El Grito", the 16th of
>> >September? Mexican Independence Day?

>DID YOU READ THIS PART?

Yes I did so what?

Mark Preston 29-04-2004 10:41 PM

Cinco de Mayo

<snip>

I love any holiday that isn't as commercial as Christmas. I like Cinco
de Mayo as I've spent most of my adult life (40 years now) living in
the Southwest U.S. and as such am in favor of 5/5. Still, from a
cultural viewpoint, I wish I could understand how we came to pick this
day over any other.

Still, that is not the reason 5/5 celebrated from Maine to San Diego.
Admittedly, Corona had a lot to do with using the day to 'knock back a
few', but come on . . . below is a list of the Mexican "official"
holidays. If we had to pick just one, would we have chosen Cinco de
Mayo on our own? Would not Constitution Day be somewhat more similar
with US?

By the bye: I see signs that the US is now starting to celebrate Dia
de los Muertos, tambien.

You and each of you "get a grip" (gripe)

Mexican Holidays
Banks, governmental institutions, and some businesses will be.

January 1
Año Nuevo (New Year's Day). Celebrated with fireworks on New Year's
eve and Parades and Fiestas on New Year's Day.

February 5
Día de la Constitución (Constitution Day). Anniversary of the new
Constitution which came into effect in 1917.

March 21
Aniversario de Benito Juarez (Benito Juarez's Birthday). Celebration
of the birthday of one of Mexico's greatest national heroes.

Easter Week
Easter is one of the most celebrated holidays in Mexico. Fiestas,
parades, visits to the family and numerous religious processions and
services mark the event.

May 1
Día del Trabajo (Day of Work). Celebrated with a large parade.

May 5
Día de la Batalla de Puebla (Cinco de Mayo). Celebrated in remembrance
of the defeat of the French at Puebla in 1862.

September 1
State of the nation address by the president, a tradition since 1824.

September 16
Día de la Independencia (Independence Day). Celebrated by the
traditional "grito" or call to arms that Father Hidalgo called out at
the start of the war for independence. Parades, fiestas, fireworks,
and other celebrations mark the occasion.

October 12
Día de la Raza (Day of the Race). The day that Columbus discovered
America. Celebrated in Mexico as the day that the Spanish and Indian
people merged to become the Mexican people.

November 1 & 2
Todos los Santos (All Saint's Day) and Día de los Muertos (All Soul's
Day). Celebrated by remembrance of the dead with flowers, food, drink,
and candles at the nation's cemeteries.

November 2
Día de los Muertos (Dai of the dead), the day the sould of the dead
are believed to return to earth. Not really an official holiday but
widely celebrated and perhaps Mexico's most characteristic event.
You'll see signs of this celebration all over the place.

November 20
Día de la Revolución (Day of the Revolution). The anniversary of
Madero's call to arms to oust Porfirio Diaz. Celebrated with long
parades, fiestas, and fireworks.

December 8
Festival of the Immaculate Conception. Celbrated with religious
festivities across the nation.

December 12
Fiesta de nuestra Señora de Guadalupe (Festival of Our Lady of
Guadalupe) Celebrated by pilgrimages to the Basilica of the Madonna of
Guadalupe in Mexico City, processions in cities all over the country,
dance performances and Catholic Mass.

December 25
Navidad (Christmas). Celebrated with gift giving and religious
services.

In addition to these national holidays, there are many local holidays
and festivals unique to individual cities.

Jim Lane 30-04-2004 07:34 AM

Cinco de Mayo

Mark Preston wrote:
> <snip>
>
> I love any holiday that isn't as commercial as Christmas. I like Cinco
> de Mayo as I've spent most of my adult life (40 years now) living in
> the Southwest U.S. and as such am in favor of 5/5. Still, from a
> cultural viewpoint, I wish I could understand how we came to pick this
> day over any other.

Snip of interesting but pointless information.

I see everything written has passed right over your head without notice.

It is a good time for college kids to blow off steam before finals.

Any words you do not understand?

Corona pushes it because most of these college kids will be drinking Corona.

Any words there you do not understand? I can reduce it to all
four-letter words if you still don't get it. But not below the fifth
grade level, which seems to be what you may be able to understand..

jim

Mark Preston 01-05-2004 08:36 PM

Cinco de Mayo

Post of interesting but pointless information.

Jim Lane 02-05-2004 04:58 AM

Cinco de Mayo

Mark Preston wrote:
> Post of interesting but pointless information.

So, you're nothing but a troll. Figures.

jim

Karen O'Mara 03-05-2004 08:49 PM

Cinco de Mayo

Jim Lane > wrote in message >...
> Mexicans, btw, are Americans. Not USians, but Americans. Just like
> Canadians and Brazilians. . . common usage aside.

Mexicans are not Americans.

Mexican are Mexicans, and Americans are Americans. USA residents are
Americans. It's not a controversial term. The definitive term is
accepted worldwide.

Mexicans are North Americans. Americans are North Americans. Canadians
are North Americans.

But, Mexicans are not Americans. However, some Americans are
Mexican-Americans. Some Americans are African-Americans. Some
Americans are English-Dutch-Irish-Mexican-Swedish-French-Americans,
and so on, too...

Karen

Jim Lane 03-05-2004 09:22 PM

Cinco de Mayo

Karen O'Mara wrote:

> Jim Lane > wrote in message >...
>
>>Mexicans, btw, are Americans. Not USians, but Americans. Just like
>>Canadians and Brazilians. . . common usage aside.

> Mexicans are not Americans.
>
> Mexican are Mexicans, and Americans are Americans. USA residents are
> Americans. It's not a controversial term. The definitive term is
> accepted worldwide.
>
> Mexicans are North Americans. Americans are North Americans. Canadians
> are North Americans.
>
> But, Mexicans are not Americans. However, some Americans are
> Mexican-Americans. Some Americans are African-Americans. Some
> Americans are English-Dutch-Irish-Mexican-Swedish-French-Americans,
> and so on, too...
>
> Karen

You are wrong. Anyone from the Americas can call themselves "Americans,"
the common, COMMON, usage aside.

Your ethnocentrism shows clearly.

jim

The Ranger 03-05-2004 10:09 PM

Cinco de Mayo

Jim Lane > wrote in message
[snip]
> You are wrong. Anyone from the Americas can call themselves
> "Americans,"

From www.m-w.com:
Main Entry: 1Amer·i·can
Pronunciation: &-'mer-&-k&n, -'m&r-, -'mar-, -i-k&n
Function: noun
1 : an American Indian of No. America or So. America
2 : a native or inhabitant of No. America or So. America
3 : a citizen of the U.S.
Main Entry: 2American
Function: adjective
1 : of or relating to America
2 : of or relating to the U.S. or its possessions or original territory

From www.brainydictionary.com :
American
(a.) Of or pertaining to America; as, the American continent: American
Indians.
(a.) Of or pertaining to the United States.
(n.) A native of America; -- originally applied to the aboriginal
inhabitants, but now applied to the descendants of Europeans born in
America, and especially to the citizens of the United States.

From www.thefreedictionary.com
A`mer´i`can Pronunciation: å`m?r´i`kan
Noun 1. American - a native or inhabitant of the United States
U.S.A., United States, United States of America, US, USA, America, U.S. -
North American republic containing 50 states - 48 conterminous states in
North America plus Alaska in northwest North America and the Hawaiian
Islands in the Pacific Ocean; achieved independence in 1776
denizen, dweller, inhabitant, indweller - a person who inhabits a particular
place
African-American, Afro-American, Black American - an American whose
ancestors were born in Africa
Creole - a person descended from French ancestors in southern United States
(especially Louisiana)
Anglo-American - an American who was born in England or whose ancestors were
English
Alabaman, Alabamian - a resident of Alabama
Alaskan - a resident of Alaska
Arizonan, Arizonian - a resident of Arizona
Arkansan, Arkansawyer - a resident of Arkansas
Bay Stater - a resident of Massachusetts
Californian - a resident of California
Carolinian - a resident of the Carolinas
Coloradan - a resident of Colorado
Connecticuter - a resident of Connecticut
Delawarean, Delawarian - a resident of Delaware
Floridian - a resident of Florida
Franco-American - an American who was born in France or whose ancestors were
French
German American - an American who was born in Germany or whose ancestors
were German
Georgian - a resident of the American state of Georgia
Hawaiian - a resident of Hawaii
Idahoan - a resident of Idaho
Illinoisan - a resident of Illinois
Hoosier, Indianan - a resident of Indiana
Iowan - a resident of Iowa
Kansan - a resident of Kansas
Kentuckian - a resident of Kentucky
Louisianan, Louisianian - a resident of Louisiana
Down Easter, Mainer - a resident of Maine
Bostonian - a resident of Boston
Michigander, Wolverine - a resident of Michigan
Minnesotan - a resident of Minnesota
Mississippian - a resident of Mississippi
Missourian - a resident of Missouri
Montanan - a resident of Montana
Nebraskan, Cornhusker - a resident of Nebraska
Nevadan - a resident of Nevada
New Hampshirite - a resident of New Hampshire
New Jerseyan, New Jerseyite - a resident of New Jersey
New Yorker - a resident of New York (especially a resident of New York City)
North Carolinian - a resident of North Carolina
North Dakotan - a resident of North Dakota
Ohioan, Buckeye - a resident of Ohio
Oregonian - a resident of Oregon
Pennsylvanian - a resident of Pennsylvania
Rhode Islander - a resident of Rhode Island
South Carolinian - a resident of South Carolina
South Dakotan - a resident of South Dakota
Tennessean - a resident of Tennessee
Texan - a resident of Texas
Utahan - a resident of Utah
Vermonter - a resident of Vermont
Virginian - a resident of Virginia
Washingtonian - a resident of the state of Washington
Washingtonian - a resident of the city of Washington
West Virginian - a resident of West Virginia
Wisconsinite - a resident of Wisconsin
2. American - the English language as used in the United States
American English, American language
English, English language - an Indo-European language belonging to the West
Germanic branch; the official language of Britain and the United States and
most of the Commonwealth countries
Black English, Black English Vernacular, Ebonics - a nonstandard form of
American English spoken by some Black people in the United States
3. American - a native or inhabitant of a North American or Central
American or South American country
North America - the nations of the North American continent collectively
South America - the nations of the South American continent collectively;
"South America is an important market for goods from the United States"
denizen, dweller, inhabitant, indweller - a person who inhabits a particular
place
Creole - a person of European descent born in the West Indies or Latin
America
North American - a native or inhabitant of North America
South American - a native or inhabitant of South America
Mesoamerican - a member of one of the varioous peoples inhabiting
Mesoamerica
West Indian - a native or inhabitant of the West Indies

Adj. 1. American - of or relating to the United States of America or its
people or language or culture; "American citizens"; "American English"; "the
American dream"
2. American - of or relating to or characteristic of the continents and
islands of the Americas; "the American hemisphere"; "American flora and
fauna"

> Your ethnocentrism shows clearly.

As does your ignorance, yet again.

Don't you ever get tired of being proven wrong on things you have no idea
about?

The Ranger
--
I called you [Jim Lane] arrogant, but should have used a much longer list of
pejoratives.

Jim Lane 04-05-2004 07:09 AM

Cinco de Mayo

The Ranger wrote:
> Jim Lane > wrote in message
> [snip]
>
>>You are wrong. Anyone from the Americas can call themselves
>>"Americans,"

> From www.m-w.com:
> Main Entry: 1Amer·i·can

> 2 : a native or inhabitant of No. America or So. America

snip

>>Your ethnocentrism shows clearly.

> As does your ignorance, yet again.
>
> Don't you ever get tired of being proven wrong on things you have no idea
> about?
>
> The Ranger

Any words you don't understand, mentalmidget? Using the idiot's rubric,
there is no such thing as an Asian, an African (except those from the
country of South Africa), or European. Now, take your bs attitude and
park it in your left ear. You can find it in that proverbail spot where
the sun doesn't shine.

jim

Irma 04-05-2004 12:30 PM

Cinco de Mayo

On Mon, 03 May 2004 13:22:52 -0700, Jim Lane wrote:

> Karen O'Mara wrote:
>
>> Jim Lane > wrote in message >...
>>
>>>Mexicans, btw, are Americans. Not USians, but Americans. Just like
>>>Canadians and Brazilians. . . common usage aside.

>> Mexicans are not Americans.
>>
>> Mexican are Mexicans, and Americans are Americans. USA residents are
>> Americans. It's not a controversial term. The definitive term is
>> accepted worldwide.
>>
>> Mexicans are North Americans. Americans are North Americans. Canadians
>> are North Americans.
>>
>> But, Mexicans are not Americans. However, some Americans are
>> Mexican-Americans. Some Americans are African-Americans. Some
>> Americans are English-Dutch-Irish-Mexican-Swedish-French-Americans,
>> and so on, too...
>>
>> Karen

> You are wrong. Anyone from the Americas can call themselves "Americans,"
> the common, COMMON, usage aside.

This is right and logical....

Anyone who was born in the American continent (from Patagonia to Alaska) is
an American. U.S. citizens are North Americans as well as Brazilians are
South Americans.... being more specific. U.S. citizens call themselves
American and it is ok, but the adjective/"gentilicio" American is not
exclusive for U.S. citizens.

Any German, Italian, Poland is a European, since he was born in the
European continent.

Irma.

Irma 04-05-2004 01:01 PM

Cinco de Mayo

On Mon, 3 May 2004 14:09:03 -0700, The Ranger wrote:

> Jim Lane > wrote in message
> [snip]
>> You are wrong. Anyone from the Americas can call themselves
>> "Americans,"

(snip)

> 3. American - a native or inhabitant of a North American or Central
> American or South American country
> North America - the nations of the North American continent collectively
> South America - the nations of the South American continent collectively;

(snip)
> Adj. 1. American - of or relating to the United States of America or its
> people or language or culture; "American citizens"; "American English"; "the
> American dream"
> 2. American - of or relating to or characteristic of the continents and
> islands of the Americas; "the American hemisphere"; "American flora and
> fauna"

From your own post....

Here in Germany my Spanish language is American Spanish.

I can't see any problem to figure out that any person from America
continent is an American regardless which country he/she was born.

Irma.

Jim Lane 04-05-2004 06:28 PM

Cinco de Mayo

The Ranger wrote:

> Jim Lane > wrote in message
> [snip]
>
>>You are wrong. Anyone from the Americas can call themselves
>>"Americans,"

> From www.m-w.com:
> Main Entry: 1Amer·i·can
> Pronunciation: &-'mer-&-k&n, -'m&r-, -'mar-, -i-k&n
> Function: noun
> 1 : an American Indian of No. America or So. America
> 2 : a native or inhabitant of No. America or So. America

BTW ranger, did you notice that m-w left the countries and citizens of
Central America out of their definition? (Gratuitous insult not made).

jim

Karen O'Mara 04-05-2004 08:25 PM

Cinco de Mayo

Jim Lane > wrote in message >...
> You are wrong. Anyone from the Americas can call themselves "Americans,"
> the common, COMMON, usage aside.

But, they don't, siwie!

> Your ethnocentrism shows clearly.

Hey, I didn't invent the definitive answer.

Even Marily Von Sauvant mentions this acceptable definition of
"American" in last Sunday's paper.

Karen

Karen O'Mara 04-05-2004 08:35 PM

Cinco de Mayo

Irma > wrote in message > ...
> I can't see any problem to figure out that any person from America
> continent is an American regardless which country he/she was born.

Show me one Mexican or a Canadian who calls themself an "American,"
and I'll eat my hat.

I realize that it seems like it should be so, but it just isn't.

Karen

The Ranger 04-05-2004 09:09 PM

Cinco de Mayo

Karen O'Mara > wrote in message
om...
> Show me one Mexican or a Canadian who calls themself
> an "American," and I'll eat my hat!

[snip]

Ditto any Argentinean, Bolivian, Peruvian, Brazilian, or national from
Central America... They are Argentinean or Bolivian or Brazilian or Peruvian
or <insert any Central American country> first and only. They happen to live
in South America or Central America but do not refer to themselves as
"Americans."

The Ranger

Irma 04-05-2004 09:12 PM

Cinco de Mayo

On 4 May 2004 12:35:23 -0700, Karen O'Mara wrote:

> Irma > wrote in message > ...
>> I can't see any problem to figure out that any person from America
>> continent is an American regardless which country he/she was born.

> Show me one Mexican or a Canadian who calls themself an "American,"
> and I'll eat my hat.
>
> I realize that it seems like it should be so, but it just isn't.

You are right, we don't call ourselves Americans because our country has
its very onw name Mexico.... and everyone how is studied knows that Mexico
is in America therefore we are Americans... it is implied, isn't it?

But you wrote this:

>But, Mexicans are not Americans. However, some Americans are
>Mexican-Americans. Some Americans are African-Americans. Some
>Americans are English-Dutch-Irish-Mexican-Swedish-French-Americans,
>and so on, too...

And I just wanted to tell you, that your point of view was wrong, that we
Mexican ARE Americans, even some U.S. citizens don't like it.

Irma.

Juergen 04-05-2004 09:32 PM

Cinco de Mayo

> Jim Lane > wrote in message >...
>> Mexicans, btw, are Americans. Not USians, but Americans. Just like
>> Canadians and Brazilians. . . common usage aside.

> Mexicans are not Americans.
>
> Mexican are Mexicans, and Americans are Americans. USA residents are
> Americans. It's not a controversial term. The definitive term is
> accepted worldwide.
>
> Mexicans are North Americans. Americans are North Americans. Canadians
> are North Americans.
>
> But, Mexicans are not Americans. However, some Americans are
> Mexican-Americans. Some Americans are African-Americans. Some
> Americans are English-Dutch-Irish-Mexican-Swedish-French-Americans,
> and so on, too...
>
> Karen

Mexicans *are* Americans, actually. They happen to live on the very same
continent, if you like it or not.

OTOH, I wouldn't dare to call a Mexican "Americano". He might take offense.

Obviously it's only citizens of the US that have adopted the name of the
continent. Does this indicate a lack of identity?

So actually it seems you're right, but I don't like it.

Juergen

Irma 04-05-2004 09:49 PM

Cinco de Mayo

On Tue, 4 May 2004 13:09:25 -0700, The Ranger wrote:

> Karen O'Mara > wrote in message
> om...
>> Show me one Mexican or a Canadian who calls themself
>> an "American," and I'll eat my hat!

> [snip]
>
> Ditto any Argentinean, Bolivian, Peruvian, Brazilian, or national from
> Central America... They are Argentinean or Bolivian or Brazilian or Peruvian
> or <insert any Central American country> first and only. They happen to live
> in South America or Central America but do not refer to themselves as
> "Americans."
>
> The Ranger

Yes Ranger we really don't need to borrow the name of the continent to say
our nationality. Brazil, Brazilians; Bolivia, Bolivian; Mexico, Mexicans;
U.S.A, oops! .... Can you give me the Nationality? Americans? ...

Anyway the first thing here was that Mexicans were not Americans, now we
saw that we are, aren't we? If we refer ourselves as Americans or not....
this is another story... As I explained above we don't need it.

Irma.

The Ranger 04-05-2004 09:58 PM

Cinco de Mayo

Irma > asked in message
> Can you give me the Nationality? Americans? ...

Heinz 57 (aka Americans).

The Ranger

Steve Wertz 04-05-2004 10:22 PM

Cinco de Mayo

On Tue, 4 May 2004 13:58:07 -0700, "The Ranger"
> wrote:

>Irma > asked in message
. ..
>> Can you give me the Nationality? Americans? ...

>Heinz 57 (aka Americans).

Baskin Robbins.

-sw (American mutt)

Karen O'Mara 04-05-2004 10:44 PM

Cinco de Mayo

Jim Lane > wrote in message >...

> BTW ranger, did you notice that m-w left the countries and citizens of
> Central America out of their definition? (Gratuitous insult not made).

I think Central America (to Panama) is considered part of the
continent of North America..

and the US and Canada are sometimes grouped under the term
Anglo-America while the rest of North America and South America are
grouped under the term Latin America.

Karen <not ranger, sorry...>

Karen O'Mara 04-05-2004 10:55 PM

Cinco de Mayo

Irma > wrote in message >.. .
> This is right and logical....
>
> Anyone who was born in the American continent (from Patagonia to Alaska) is
> an American. U.S. citizens are North Americans as well as Brazilians are
> South Americans.... being more specific. U.S. citizens call themselves
> American and it is ok, but the adjective/"gentilicio" American is not
> exclusive for U.S. citizens.
>
> Any German, Italian, Poland is a European, since he was born in the
> European continent.

Sometimes logically explanations are just wrong in real life.

US citizens, Canadians, Mexicans are all North Americans, true. But,
the US citizen will be the only American of the three. (An Italian may
also be a European but a Canadian is not also an American.)

"American" is the exclusive term for U.S. citizens. "North American"
is not the exclusive term for U.S. citizens.

Show me any example, outside the arguments here on this newsgroup,
where you can prove this differently...

Karen

hahabogus 05-05-2004 01:16 AM

Cinco de Mayo

(Karen O'Mara) wrote in
om:

> Irma > wrote in message
>> I can't see any problem to figure out that any person from America
>> continent is an American regardless which country he/she was born.

> Show me one Mexican or a Canadian who calls themself an "American,"
> and I'll eat my hat.
>
> I realize that it seems like it should be so, but it just isn't.
>
> Karen

I believe the phrase American was first used by an American Politican. And
I don't mean LBJ. Possibly around the time of the American Revolution. I
also believe that was the time American Nationalism first reared it's head.

Being Canadian this is only my best guess and not researched, as I couldn"t
care less what they call themselves.

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
and water.

Jim Lane 05-05-2004 07:29 AM

Cinco de Mayo

Karen O'Mara wrote:

> Jim Lane > wrote in message >...
>
>>BTW ranger, did you notice that m-w left the countries and citizens of
>>Central America out of their definition? (Gratuitous insult not made).

> I think Central America (to Panama) is considered part of the
> continent of North America..
>
> and the US and Canada are sometimes grouped under the term
> Anglo-America while the rest of North America and South America are
> grouped under the term Latin America.
>
> Karen <not ranger, sorry...>

North, Central and South America. Anglo and Latin. That's it. But all
have the right to call themselves Americans.

jim

Jim Lane 05-05-2004 07:31 AM

Cinco de Mayo

Karen O'Mara wrote:

> "American" is the exclusive term for U.S. citizens. "North American"
> is not the exclusive term for U.S. citizens.
>
> Show me any example, outside the arguments here on this newsgroup,
> where you can prove this differently...
>
> Karen

As the dictionary shows, American is NOT exclusive to those of us from
the US. Are you some kind of bigot? Try any dictionary. Ooops, you're
not a bigot, you're a blonde.

jim

Jim Lane 05-05-2004 07:33 AM

Cinco de Mayo

Karen O'Mara wrote:

> Jim Lane > wrote in message >...
>
>>You are wrong. Anyone from the Americas can call themselves "Americans,"
>>the common, COMMON, usage aside.
>>

> But, they don't, siwie!

Have you asked every single one of them? Until you have, you don;t know
jack, do you.

>>Your ethnocentrism shows clearly.

> Hey, I didn't invent the definitive answer.
>
> Even Marily Von Sauvant mentions this acceptable definition of
> "American" in last Sunday's paper.

Don't see her column. Why don't you put up the pertinent part. and the
operative word is? Yep, "acceptable."

jim

Karen O'Mara 05-05-2004 04:53 PM

Cinco de Mayo

Jim Lane > wrote in message >...

> As the dictionary shows, American is NOT exclusive to those of us from
> the US. Are you some kind of bigot? Try any dictionary. Ooops, you're
> not a bigot, you're a blonde.

By your dumb way of thinking, you'll have Peruvians claiming their
Americans, along with Manitobans. After all, Peru is in South AMERICA.

Happy cinco de mayo!

Karen