Karen O'Mara

Default Cinco de Mayo

Jim Lane > wrote in message >...
> Actually, a lot of them refer to "Americans" like you as a++holes.

Canadians use the term "American."

Karen
Karen O'Mara

Jim Lane > wrote in message >...
> As the dictionary shows, American is NOT exclusive to those of us from
> the US. Are you some kind of bigot? Try any dictionary. Ooops, you're
> not a bigot, you're a blonde.

You've called me every name in the book, and have even played the
color card, and I'm the bigot?

w.

Karen
Karen O'Mara

Jim Lane > wrote in message >...

> Actually, airhead, some people refer to those of us from the US as
> USians to separate us from the rest of the Americans. Now, find that in
> your dictionary.

I've never heard USians. How do you pronounce that?

I recently got back from a trip to Ireland. My traveling companion is
sensitive using the term America, too... she doesn't use it. When
talking with the locals, she would use the term "The States," instead
of America. The Irish, when replying, used the word "America."

Karen
Karen O'Mara

Jim Lane > wrote in message >...
> Irrelevant, bimbo, in case the roaring obvious has raced right past you
> without notice. I have heard more than one Mexican refer to himself as
> an American, just to make the point that he is.

Show me an instance.

tia,
Karen
Karen O'Mara

Jim Lane > wrote in message >...
> Actually, airhead, some people refer to those of us from the US as
> USians to separate us from the rest of the Americans. Now, find that in
> your dictionary.

Well, you use the word American... a quick Google on Jim Lane:

<<Kansas, Chicago, Boston, America, and Alabama are places not
groups.>> alt.mountain-bike

<<Another area might be, as corporate American has flattened
organizations to save money or speed up operations. . ., have>>
soc.org.nonprofit

<<Not for the American cuisine, but for it being KK. If you do, make
sure
they are hot (when the light is on) otherwise, they are greasy sweet
lumps.>> rec.food.cooking

Anyway, gotta go, Mr. San Diego.

Karen

Jim Lane

Karen O'Mara wrote:

> Jim Lane > wrote in message >...
>
>>Irrelevant, bimbo, in case the roaring obvious has raced right past you
>>without notice. I have heard more than one Mexican refer to himself as
>>an American, just to make the point that he is.

> Show me an instance.
>
> tia,
> Karen

Are you trying to be stooopid? A couple have written so right here. Did
they use any words you didn't understand? Perhaps you need to get into
the streets and out of your books or whatever. Come to some
cross-border/cross-cultural conferences.

jim
Jim Lane

Karen O'Mara wrote:

> Jim Lane > wrote in message >...
>
>>As the dictionary shows, American is NOT exclusive to those of us from
>>the US. Are you some kind of bigot? Try any dictionary. Ooops, you're
>>not a bigot, you're a blonde.

> You've called me every name in the book, and have even played the
> color card, and I'm the bigot?
>
> w.
>
> Karen

What color card? Calling you a blonde?

You are arrogant, your posts have proven that.

You are ethnocentric, your posts have proven that.

You are self-referencing, your posts have proven that.

So, that leaves bimbo, blonde and red-neck.

All three of those are attitudes or lack of aware intelligence and your
posts have proven them.

Keep in mind, you don't have to be either Jewish or a mother to be a
Jewish mother. ("How to be a Jewish Mother," Daniel Greenberg).

On another note, it seems as though the message is getting through to
you and that in a small flicker of hope.

jim
Jim Lane

Karen O'Mara wrote:

> Jim Lane > wrote in message >...
>

>>Actually, airhead, some people refer to those of us from the US as
>>USians to separate us from the rest of the Americans. Now, find that in
>>your dictionary.

> I've never heard USians. How do you pronounce that?
>
> I recently got back from a trip to Ireland. My traveling companion is
> sensitive using the term America, too... she doesn't use it. When
> talking with the locals, she would use the term "The States," instead
> of America. The Irish, when replying, used the word "America."
>
> Karen

U-S-ians.

Your Irish would have made a mistake had the people been light-skinned
Spanish extract people from Mexico City where blonde hair and blue eyes
can be found. Same for Argentina where there is a large German influence.

jim
Jim Lane

Karen O'Mara wrote:

> Jim Lane > wrote in message >...
>
>>Actually, airhead, some people refer to those of us from the US as
>>USians to separate us from the rest of the Americans. Now, find that in
>>your dictionary.

> Well, you use the word American... a quick Google on Jim Lane:
>
> <<Kansas, Chicago, Boston, America, and Alabama are places not
> groups.>> alt.mountain-bike
>
> <<Another area might be, as corporate American has flattened
> organizations to save money or speed up operations. . ., have>>
> soc.org.nonprofit
>
> <<Not for the American cuisine, but for it being KK. If you do, make
> sure
> they are hot (when the light is on) otherwise, they are greasy sweet
> lumps.>> rec.food.cooking
>
> Anyway, gotta go, Mr. San Diego.
>
> Karen

I'm flattered. I'd look you up, but there is only so much idiocy that I
can tolerate in a day and you are doing an more-than-adequate job right
here.

What you have totally overlooked was the context. But, there's hope for
you. Here, I was making a point here that far too often we do this and
that just because we do don't make it necessarily so. The other threads
are irrelevant, because nowhere have I said that I do not make this
mistake. I do, but at least I am conscious of what I have done,
otherwise, you're just like that Texan, ignorant of what you are doing
or just not caring.

jim

jim
Jim Lane

Karen O'Mara wrote:

> Jim Lane > wrote in message >...
>

>>Actually, airhead, some people refer to those of us from the US as
>>USians to separate us from the rest of the Americans. Now, find that in
>>your dictionary.

> I've never heard USians. How do you pronounce that?
>
> I recently got back from a trip to Ireland. My traveling companion is
> sensitive using the term America, too... she doesn't use it. When
> talking with the locals, she would use the term "The States," instead
> of America. The Irish, when replying, used the word "America."
>
> Karen

Hey, just hot a thread in rec.food.cooking where another person used
"USian:"

Well I am not going to help your hypothesis. I never eat at those places and
am a native born USian.

-- Peter Aitken

It is not very common, but I am seeing it more frequently.

jim

Karen O'Mara

Jim Lane > wrote in message >...
> Precisely the point I raised in my first post. Anyone who has travelled
> internationally and paid attention (I'll admit sometimes the clues are
> very subtle or abstract), would start to catch the drift. Those of us
> along the border can see it happening daily.
>
> I agree with your accessment of Karen. This sub-thread has been an
> exception to her normal demeanor.

Ew you irk me.

I have been paying attention to the TV and news stations while I have
been at home sick with the flu. CNN reports a Pakistani newspaper
referring to "the Americans...," and more. Whether the BBC or the
International Channel, American term is clear. I am not wrong with
this, that "American" identifies someone from the USA. However, the
closer I look, the term, when used by non-Americans, is usually used
in an unflattering way. While calling someone American, or referring
to America, it many times is not as polite as I wish it would be.

I'm certain the "beheaded American" was clearly intended and reported
as an American by those Iraqis (or whoever they were under those
hoods).

Karen
Jim Lane

Karen O'Mara wrote:
> Jim Lane > wrote in message >...
>
>>Precisely the point I raised in my first post. Anyone who has travelled
>>internationally and paid attention (I'll admit sometimes the clues are
>>very subtle or abstract), would start to catch the drift. Those of us
>>along the border can see it happening daily.
>>
>>I agree with your accessment of Karen. This sub-thread has been an
>>exception to her normal demeanor.

> Ew you irk me.
>
> I have been paying attention to the TV and news stations while I have
> been at home sick with the flu. CNN reports a Pakistani newspaper
> referring to "the Americans...," and more. Whether the BBC or the
> International Channel, American term is clear. I am not wrong with
> this, that "American" identifies someone from the USA. However, the
> closer I look, the term, when used by non-Americans, is usually used
> in an unflattering way. While calling someone American, or referring
> to America, it many times is not as polite as I wish it would be.
>
> I'm certain the "beheaded American" was clearly intended and reported
> as an American by those Iraqis (or whoever they were under those
> hoods).
>
> Karen

And we can thank the rude, self-centered "Americans" that have been
impressing Europeans while on the European summer vacations for a good
measure of this disparagement. It has been going on for a very long time
and heavily since WWII when tourists thought Europeans should thank them
personally for having spit on their sidewalks.

Get over your attitude. Others have iterated the same to you as I have.
Live and learn or be an ugly American. Your choice.

jim

Karen O'Mara

Jim Lane > wrote in message >...
> And we can thank the rude, self-centered "Americans" that have been
> impressing Europeans while on the European summer vacations for a good
> measure of this disparagement. It has been going on for a very long time
> and heavily since WWII when tourists thought Europeans should thank them
> personally for having spit on their sidewalks.
>
> Get over your attitude. Others have iterated the same to you as I have.
> Live and learn or be an ugly American. Your choice.

Last-liner Lane, your hatred goes beyond my comprehension.

Jim Lane

Karen O'Mara wrote:
> Jim Lane > wrote in message >...
>
>>And we can thank the rude, self-centered "Americans" that have been
>>impressing Europeans while on the European summer vacations for a good
>>measure of this disparagement. It has been going on for a very long time
>>and heavily since WWII when tourists thought Europeans should thank them
>>personally for having spit on their sidewalks.
>>
>>Get over your attitude. Others have iterated the same to you as I have.
>>Live and learn or be an ugly American. Your choice.

> Last-liner Lane, your hatred goes beyond my comprehension.

Interesting you label me with what you are. Your bigotry over the word
"American" being reserved for those form the USA is patently clear. Are
you really this stoooopid or are you being deliberately dense? You give
mentalmidgetry a new low standard.

jim
BillB

On Fri, 14 May 2004 18:11:22 -0700, Jim Lane wrote:

> > Last-liner Lane, your hatred goes beyond my comprehension.

> Interesting you label me with what you are. Your bigotry over the word
> "American" being reserved for those form the USA is patently clear. Are
> you really this stoooopid or are you being deliberately dense? You give
> mentalmidgetry a new low standard.

While I've tended to agree more with your POV than with Karen, she
seem decent enough, while you come across as one of the unfortunates
responsible for the internet's reputation for noteriety.
Jim Lane

BillB wrote:
> On Fri, 14 May 2004 18:11:22 -0700, Jim Lane wrote:
>

>>>Last-liner Lane, your hatred goes beyond my comprehension.

>>Interesting you label me with what you are. Your bigotry over the word
>>"American" being reserved for those form the USA is patently clear. Are
>>you really this stoooopid or are you being deliberately dense? You give
>>mentalmidgetry a new low standard.

> While I've tended to agree more with your POV than with Karen, she
> seem decent enough, while you come across as one of the unfortunates
> responsible for the internet's reputation for noteriety.

When you are dealing with a person who cannot "just get it," despite
everyone's effort, (or in this case, perhaps, being deliberately obtuse
and dense) you have to paint it in words they can understand, like
"stooopid." It has been put up here in different individual's words and
even in multiple dictionary definitions. All has gone right over her
head. So, time to aim for the gut as her head doesn't have the
capability of getting it.

jim

David Wright

On Sat, 15 May 2004 10:44:32 -0700, Jim Lane >
wrote:

>When you are dealing with a person who cannot "just get it," despite
>everyone's effort, ...

Would anyone else here be willing to get back to talking about Mexican
food and let this other stuff rest?

This weekend, I roasted a pork butt before making green chile stew,
rather than just cutting up the meat and browning and stewing it.

Worked great, and I'm sure I'll keep doing it that way. I roasted it
until just before the "shredded pork" stage.

For the other part of the meat, I'll either cook it more to shred for
tacos, or cube it for posole. Life is good!

David

Cinco de Mayo jmcquown[_2_] General Cooking 0 05-05-2013 05:21 PM
Cinco de Mayo Noemi Mexican Cooking 0 30-04-2011 06:27 AM
Why -Cinco de Mayo? Secret_Ingredient[_2_] Mexican Cooking 8 12-05-2009 06:41 AM
Cinco De Mayo Dimitri General Cooking 15 06-05-2009 05:41 PM
Cinco de Mayo Chris Neidecker General Cooking 0 06-05-2005 01:45 PM