Shelora

Default Tamales

Hello,
I made tamales in corn husk on Sunday. I used a pork lard which I
rendered myself (highly recommended - much better than crisco!) and
the flavour was out of this world. I have a question about cooking
times. These tamales took longer than usual - over three hours on
high.
What determines the cooking time of a tamale. Although I laid roasted
poblano strips on the dough, they weren't really that wet. I thought
maybe, the filling was the reason they took so long.
My other question is, can you overcook a tamale?
Looking forward to hearing from you out there.
Shelora
William Jennings

"Shelora" > wrote in message
om...
> Hello,
> I made tamales in corn husk on Sunday. I used a pork lard which I
> rendered myself (highly recommended - much better than crisco!) and
> the flavour was out of this world. I have a question about cooking
> times. These tamales took longer than usual - over three hours on
> high.
> What determines the cooking time of a tamale. Although I laid roasted
> poblano strips on the dough, they weren't really that wet. I thought
> maybe, the filling was the reason they took so long.
> My other question is, can you overcook a tamale?
> Looking forward to hearing from you out there.
> Shelora

My friend left some locally made tamales reheating in a crock pot for 12
hours while we were out fishing. We were dead tired and the aroma of
hot tamales filled the cabanna on our return. Those tamales really hit
the spot on that cold November evening, over- cooked or not. :-)

Doc

Dimitri

"Shelora" > wrote in message
om...
> Hello,
> I made tamales in corn husk on Sunday. I used a pork lard which I
> rendered myself (highly recommended - much better than crisco!) and
> the flavour was out of this world. I have a question about cooking
> times. These tamales took longer than usual - over three hours on
> high.
> What determines the cooking time of a tamale. Although I laid roasted
> poblano strips on the dough, they weren't really that wet. I thought
> maybe, the filling was the reason they took so long.
> My other question is, can you overcook a tamale?
> Looking forward to hearing from you out there.
> Shelora

Where are you located? (altitude may have been a factor)
How big was the pot? ( Did you have to refill the pot?)
How many tamales in the pot? (overcrowded?)
What did you use to seperate the boiling water from the tamales?

Dimitri

http://www.jalapenocafe.com/tamale.html

Cooking the tamales
The easiest way to cook the tamales is in a conventional steamer. You can
purchase tamale steamers at the Mexican Market. I cook mine in an old
steamer and also use an oriental bamboo steamer set in a wok.
Fill the bottom of the steamer with water up to the level indicated and
bring it to a boil. Line the top of the steamer with corn husks, covering
the bottom and sides well. Stack the tamales upright. For best results, they
should be firmly packed, put not too tightly, as the dough needs room to
expand some. Once you have the tamales in the steamer, cover them with more
corn husks. Cover the top of the steamer with a tea towel to catch the
condensation from the lid of the steamer. Cover the steamer with a tightly
fitted lid.
As the water in the steamer comes to a boil, put a coin in the bottom. You
should hear the coin clinking in the bottom of the steamer. If you do not
hear it, you need to add more hot water. Keep a pan of water boiling on the
stove so you can add water as needed. Let the tamales cook 1 to 1 1/2 hours
over a medium flame.
To test the tamales for doneness, remove one from the center and one from
the side of the steamer. As you open the husks, the dough should come away
from the husks easily and be smooth, spongy and well cooked throughout.
They can be eaten right way, stored in the refrigerator for a few days or
frozen for up to 3 months. To reheat the tamales, wrap in foil and place in
350 degree oven about 30 minutes. Serve with red or green salsa.

Dimitri

Shelora

Where are you located? (altitude may have been a factor). I LIVE ON
VANCOUVER ISLAND, CANADA, STEPS FROM THE OCEAN.

"Dimitri" > wrote in message >...
> "Shelora" > wrote in message
> om...
> > Hello,
> > I made tamales in corn husk on Sunday. I used a pork lard which I
> > rendered myself (highly recommended - much better than crisco!) and
> > the flavour was out of this world. I have a question about cooking
> > times. These tamales took longer than usual - over three hours on
> > high.
> > What determines the cooking time of a tamale. Although I laid roasted
> > poblano strips on the dough, they weren't really that wet. I thought
> > maybe, the filling was the reason they took so long.
> > My other question is, can you overcook a tamale?
> > Looking forward to hearing from you out there.
> > Shelora

> Dimitri

> http://www.jalapenocafe.com/tamale.html
>
> Cooking the tamales
> The easiest way to cook the tamales is in a conventional steamer. You can
> purchase tamale steamers at the Mexican Market. I cook mine in an old
> steamer and also use an oriental bamboo steamer set in a wok.
> Fill the bottom of the steamer with water up to the level indicated and
> bring it to a boil. Line the top of the steamer with corn husks, covering
> the bottom and sides well. Stack the tamales upright. For best results, they
> should be firmly packed, put not too tightly, as the dough needs room to
> expand some. Once you have the tamales in the steamer, cover them with more
> corn husks. Cover the top of the steamer with a tea towel to catch the
> condensation from the lid of the steamer. Cover the steamer with a tightly
> fitted lid.
> As the water in the steamer comes to a boil, put a coin in the bottom. You
> should hear the coin clinking in the bottom of the steamer. If you do not
> hear it, you need to add more hot water. Keep a pan of water boiling on the
> stove so you can add water as needed. Let the tamales cook 1 to 1 1/2 hours
> over a medium flame.
> To test the tamales for doneness, remove one from the center and one from
> the side of the steamer. As you open the husks, the dough should come away
> from the husks easily and be smooth, spongy and well cooked throughout.
> They can be eaten right way, stored in the refrigerator for a few days or
> frozen for up to 3 months. To reheat the tamales, wrap in foil and place in
> 350 degree oven about 30 minutes. Serve with red or green salsa.
>
> Dimitri

Dimitri

"Shelora" > wrote in message
om...
> Where are you located? (altitude may have been a factor). I LIVE ON
> VANCOUVER ISLAND, CANADA, STEPS FROM THE OCEAN.
> > How big was the pot? ( Did you have to refill the pot?) I USE A CHINESE

STEAMER - METAL. I HAD TO REFILL THE POT SEVERAL TIMES WITH HOT WATER TO
CONTINUE STEAMING.
> > How many tamales in the pot? (overcrowded?) ONE DOZEN.
> > What did you use to seperate the boiling water from the tamales? THE

BOTTOM WAS LOOSELY COVERED WITH CORN HUSKS.

I think you have an anomaly here. Everything sounds right. Was the masa
harena a new package? It may have been stale like "old dried beans" that
sometimes take much longer to soften.

Dimitri

Shelora

You may have hit the nail on the head. There is never a sell by date
on Maseca is there. I did give it a good sniff, but there is no way of
telling how long it has been around, is there?
Short of making my own nixtamal, I am always on the look out for
either fresh masa or fresh maseca.
Thanks for all the info.

"Dimitri" > wrote in message >. ..
> "Shelora" > wrote in message
> om...
> > Where are you located? (altitude may have been a factor). I LIVE ON
> > VANCOUVER ISLAND, CANADA, STEPS FROM THE OCEAN.
> > > How big was the pot? ( Did you have to refill the pot?) I USE A CHINESE

> STEAMER - METAL. I HAD TO REFILL THE POT SEVERAL TIMES WITH HOT WATER TO
> CONTINUE STEAMING.
> > > How many tamales in the pot? (overcrowded?) ONE DOZEN.
> > > What did you use to seperate the boiling water from the tamales? THE

> BOTTOM WAS LOOSELY COVERED WITH CORN HUSKS.
> > >

> I think you have an anomaly here. Everything sounds right. Was the masa
> harena a new package? It may have been stale like "old dried beans" that
> sometimes take much longer to soften.
>
> Dimitri

Ray Bay

Good ones well made do take a long time to cook. Think of how many
protected layers the steam has to penetrate before the Masa begins
cooking, then how long the port must cook before it is really save.
Best to cook the night before then recook for 45 minutes before serving
to assure they are hot.

Raul Bay

Shelora wrote:

> Hello,
> I made tamales in corn husk on Sunday. I used a pork lard which I
> rendered myself (highly recommended - much better than crisco!) and
> the flavour was out of this world. I have a question about cooking
> times. These tamales took longer than usual - over three hours on
> high.
> What determines the cooking time of a tamale. Although I laid roasted
> poblano strips on the dough, they weren't really that wet. I thought
> maybe, the filling was the reason they took so long.
> My other question is, can you overcook a tamale?
> Looking forward to hearing from you out there.
> Shelora

That's a lot of tamales Janet Bostwick[_2_] General Cooking 4 22-11-2009 09:03 PM
Oaxacan Pumpkin Tamales (Tamales Miahuatecos) Judy Bolton Recipes (moderated) 0 29-04-2007 02:16 AM
Oaxacan Pumpkin Tamales (Tamales Miahuatecos) Oh Deer Recipes (moderated) 0 11-11-2005 07:07 AM
Low Cal Tamales huck Mexican Cooking 3 18-01-2005 08:00 PM
Best Tamales Ernie Mexican Cooking 60 15-12-2004 03:38 PM