FoodBanter.com

-   Mexican Cooking (https://www.foodbanter.com/mexican-cooking/)
-   -   Nopales - cactus paddles (https://www.foodbanter.com/mexican-cooking/14354-nopales-cactus-paddles.html)

Shelora 14-04-2004 07:25 PM

Nopales - cactus paddles

I am able to buy fresh - although large - nopales right now and would
like some input on the best way to serve them.
I was going to do the grilled and chopped with white onion, cilantro,
tomatoes and rock salt.
Any other ideas very much appreciated.

Irma 15-04-2004 10:53 AM

Nopales - cactus paddles

On 14 Apr 2004 11:25:32 -0700, (Shelora)
wrote:

>I am able to buy fresh - although large - nopales right now and would
>like some input on the best way to serve them.
>I was going to do the grilled and chopped with white onion, cilantro,
>tomatoes and rock salt.
>Any other ideas very much appreciated.

Hi Shelora,

There is a nice dish I used to prepare with nopales...

Prepare your nopales as you wish grilled or boild, they have to be
diced, in your pan you fry diced onion, then add diced chile jalapeno,
and then the nopales to fry them a little all together, to get the
onion transparent and the flavors mixed. Then add diced tomato, and a
little water, and let them simmer slow until the tomato is soft, you
may add, oregano "or" cilantro as spices, but not both, salt and
pepper to taste.

If you have some remainders from this dish, next day you can heat it
in a pan, scramble some eggs in a bowl, and pour them in the pan, fry
as mexican eggs, and you will have a delicious breakfast dish, which
can be served with refried frijolitos.

If you prepare "rajas de chile poblano con crema y queso" you may add
some cooked nopales in strives and this is also a nice dish.

Nopales Soup with epazote and chile de arbol is also another option.

Hope it helps.

Irma.