ChrisB

Default Rice!!!!

OK,

I know this should be simple, but I am looking for a nice Mexican rice
recipe - My stepmom would make this often in my younger years, but..........

All the recipes on the web seem to be adulterated with a number of
ingredients that , and the simple recipes come out gummy, or not tasty at
all....

I'm looking for a recipe that produces a somewhat dry-ish orange colored
rice... Anybody???

Thanks!

Chris

SportKite1

>From: "ChrisB"

>I'm looking for a recipe that produces a somewhat dry-ish orange colored
>rice... Anybody???

I use short grained white rice, though you can use long grained rice if you
prefer.

2 cups rice - Saute in large skillet (that has a cover, though you won't use it
yet) in about 3 T of vegetable oil. Toast, stirring occasionally for even
browning, until it is a light golden brown. Add a T of minced garlic, stir
though and finish toasting - another minute or two. The color will be mixed,
ranging from medium brown to light tan. Remove from heat, while you lower heat
to low and add the liquid.

Add 1 cup chunky tomato based salsa - I use salsa fresca - to 2 1/2 cups warm
water with one heaping soup spoon of Better than Boullion chicken base added to
it. Stir this mixture well and add to the frying pan, watching for
steam/splatter. Add a seeded and sliced jalapeno for extra heat if desired.
Also, as you make this more often you'll know how much salt to add, but wait
til its done the first time and salt for taste.

Cover and replace on low heat and cook for 20 minutes. Remove lid, lightly
fluff with fork and continue on low heat for another couple minutes to dry the
rice more. That's it.

The rice can also be made in a hotel pan with a foil cover and cooked in the
oven for large amounts.

Ellen

Jay P Francis

Orange? Leave out the tomato and substitute a pinch or so of Bijol for
coloring. Bijol, for those who don't know, is a poor man's saffron, packaged in
Miami for the Cuban and Puerto Rican community. Consists of orange food color
and a little bit of cumin.

2 cups of water or chicken broth
1 tomato
1 to 2 garlic cloves, peeled
½ onion, chopped
2 tablespoons oil
1 cup white rice
2 Serrano chiles, chopped
½ cup minced carrots and peas
Pinch of cumin
Pinch of black pepper

Salt to taste

Instructions:

In a blender, puree the water, tomato and garlic. Set aside.

In a heavy, lidded skillet over medium heat, sauté the onion in oil for five
minutes or until softened and translucent.

Add the raw rice an sauté until it turns opaque, and lightly brown.

Add the puree, chiles, carrots and peas, cumin, and black pepper.

Bring the rice to a boil, and then reduce the heat to low for simmering. Cover
tightly and simmer 25 to 30 minutes. Do not remove lid during cooking.

Salt to taste and serve.

Yield: 4 servings

ChrisB

Found the recipe!! Here it is:

2 Roma (or similar) tomatoes, seeded (no need to peel)
1 clove garlic
1 rounded teaspoon Knorr Chicken Bullion granules
1/8th of a small yellow onion

Put in blender and add a small amount of water. Puree till smooth, then add
more water to make 2 cups.

In saucepan:
1Cup rice (regular long grain - NOT parboiled)
1 Tbsp corn oil

Toast the rice until light brown.

Add blender mixture, bring to boil, cover and simmer for 20 minutes. remove
from heat, let sit for 5-10 minutes removing the lid for the last 2-3
minutes.

Stir and serve!

"SportKite1" > wrote in message
> >From: "ChrisB"

> >I'm looking for a recipe that produces a somewhat dry-ish orange colored
> >rice... Anybody???

> I use short grained white rice, though you can use long grained rice if

you
> prefer.
>
> 2 cups rice - Saute in large skillet (that has a cover, though you won't

use it
> yet) in about 3 T of vegetable oil. Toast, stirring occasionally for even
> browning, until it is a light golden brown. Add a T of minced garlic, stir
> though and finish toasting - another minute or two. The color will be

mixed,
> ranging from medium brown to light tan. Remove from heat, while you lower

heat
> to low and add the liquid.
>
> Add 1 cup chunky tomato based salsa - I use salsa fresca - to 2 1/2 cups

warm
> water with one heaping soup spoon of Better than Boullion chicken base

added to
> it. Stir this mixture well and add to the frying pan, watching for
> steam/splatter. Add a seeded and sliced jalapeno for extra heat if

desired.
> Also, as you make this more often you'll know how much salt to add, but

wait
> til its done the first time and salt for taste.
>
> Cover and replace on low heat and cook for 20 minutes. Remove lid, lightly
> fluff with fork and continue on low heat for another couple minutes to dry

the
> rice more. That's it.
>
> The rice can also be made in a hotel pan with a foil cover and cooked in

the
> oven for large amounts.
>
> Ellen

Rolly

Here is a picture story from Doña Martha's kitchen that might be helpful.

http://rollybrook.com/rice.htm

Shelora

I was once shown a method of making rice by a Mexican chef.
The rice was first soaked and rinsed in water, then well drained.
Then partially fried in hot oil, then well drained again. The final
process was cooking in chicken stock with pureed tomatoes --muy
sabroso.
I have made my rice by this method many times at home, but sometimes I
get lazy and pass on the soaking part and just rinse a bunch of times,
toast in a dry pan and cook with a rich chicken stock.
An aside - why does Mexico has very little access to the worlds most
beautiful rices - jasmine, basmati, wild, short grain brown.?