xyz789

Default Cheese

What is the prodominent cheese(s) in Mexican cooking? Thanks.

La Reina

"xyz789" > wrote in message
. com...
> What is the prodominent cheese(s) in Mexican cooking? Thanks.

my favorite is queso fresco, but here is some info on cheeses and what they
are used for....

Queso blanco:
This creamy, white cheese is made from skimmed cow's milk, and has been
described as being a cross between cottage cheese and mozzarella. It is
traditionally coagulated with lemon juice, giving it a fresh, distinctive
lemon flavor, although nowadays it is often commercially made with rennet.
It softens when heated, but doesn't melt, and is a good choice for stuffing
enchiladas.
Queso fresco:
A spongy white cheese, used to crumble over botanas - snacks - as well as
on enchiladas and taquitos, this type of cheese was introduced to Mexico
from Burgos, Spain. It is usually made with a combination of cow's milk and
goat's milk. A very mild feta is an acceptable substitute for the grainy and
mildly acidic queso fresco.
Queso panela:
Also called queso de canasta because it carries the imprint of the basket
in which it is molded, this is a soft, white cheese most often served as
part of an appetizer or snack tray. It absorbs other flavors easily, and is
sometimes coated with a garlic-and-chile paste, or wrapped in toasted
avocado leaves, to be served with cocktails.
Requesón:
A loose, ricotta-like cheese used to fill enchiladas and to make cheese
spreads, this variety is most often sold in the markets wrapped in fresh
corn husks. A mild - not salty - ricotta can be substituted for requesón.
Soft Cheeses:
Queso añejo:
This is simply an aged version of queso fresco and, while classified as a
soft cheese, can actually become quite firm and salty as it ages. It is used
primarily as a garnish, crumbled or grated over a variety of dishes. Romano
could be substituted for queso añejo.
Queso oaxaca:
Also known as quesillo, this is by far the most popular cheese for making
quesadillas. It is a stretched curd cheese, kneaded and wound into balls. It
should be pulled apart into thin strings before using to fill tortillas or
melted on cooked food. Mozzarella or string cheese can be used in its place
Semi-Soft Cheeses:
Queso asadero:
This is specifically a melting cheese, used to make the Mexican fondue
called queso fundido, a dish which adapts well to the inclusion of a variety
of ingredients and is usually eaten as a late-night supper. Fontina and
Monterrey Jack are fine substitutes.
Queso chihuahua:
Also called queso menonita, after the Mennonite communities of northern
Mexico that first produced it, this cheese is now made by both Mennonites
and non-Mennonites all over the country. Unlike most Mexican cheeses, it is
pale yellow rather than white, and can vary in taste from mild to a nearly
cheddar-like sharpness. It is used in a wide variety of dishes, and is
especially good for making queso frito, a breaded, fried cheese dish. Since
Chihuahua cheese is widely sold outside of Mexico, it should not be
necessary to look for substitutes, however a very mild cheddar or a
flavorful jack cheese could replace it in many recipes.
Queso jalapeño:
A smooth, soft white cow's milk cheese with bits of jalapeño chile in it,
this cheese is served as a snack or used to make quesadillas.
Semi-Firm Cheeses:
Queso criollo:
This pale yellow cheese is a specialty of the region around Taxco,
Guerrero, and is so similiar to Munster that the two can easily be used
interchangeably.
Queso edam:
Although not considered a Mexican cheese, Edam has become such an
intrinsic part of Yucatecan regional cooking that it is worth including
here. The cheese round is scooped out, filled with a seasoned meat
picadillo, and steamed in the oven in the same manner that a custard is
prepared. This queso relleno is then presented whole, accompanied by a salsa
roja.
Queso manchego:
Introduced to Mexico from the Spanish region of La Mancha, this buttery
yellow cheese is popular outside of Mexico as well. It is good for melting,
or for serving with fruit or crackers. Manchego is widely available north of
the border, but Monterrey Jack is a good substitute.
Firm Cheeses:
Queso añejo enchilado:
This is queso añejo, with a spicey red coating, which has been aged to the
point where it serves as a condiment. A strong feta cheese could be
substituted for it.
Queso cotija:
Named for the town of Cotija, Michoacan, where it originated, this is a
sharp, crumbly goat cheese. It has been called "the Parmesan of Mexico" and
is usually served over beans and salads.
Queso manchego viejo:
As its name indicates, this is manchego that has been aged to the point
where it hardens and becomes more intense in flavor. It is quite often
shaved over botanas.

Jim Lane

La Reina wrote:
> "xyz789" > wrote in message
> . com...
>
>>What is the prodominent cheese(s) in Mexican cooking? Thanks.
>>

> my favorite is queso fresco, but here is some info on cheeses and what they
> are used for....
>
> Queso blanco:
> This creamy, white cheese is made from skimmed cow's milk, and has been

snip

Nice post. Thanks.

jim
Shashay Doofray

La Reina, honey, you know your cheese. Saving THIS post for future
reference. Thank you. oh.... I mean... muchas gracias.

SD

La Reina

"Jim Lane" > wrote in message
> La Reina wrote:
> > "xyz789" > wrote in message
> > . com...
> >
> >>What is the prodominent cheese(s) in Mexican cooking? Thanks.
> >>

> > my favorite is queso fresco, but here is some info on cheeses and what

they
> > are used for....
> >
> > Queso blanco:
> > This creamy, white cheese is made from skimmed cow's milk, and has

been

> snip
>

> Nice post. Thanks.
>

> jim

thanks

La Reina

"Shashay Doofray" > wrote in message
> La Reina, honey, you know your cheese. Saving THIS post for future
> reference. Thank you. oh.... I mean... muchas gracias.
>
> SD

de nada!

xyz789

I agree, thanks.

"Jim Lane" > wrote in message
> La Reina wrote:
> > "xyz789" > wrote in message
> > . com...
> >
> >>What is the prodominent cheese(s) in Mexican cooking? Thanks.
> >>

> > my favorite is queso fresco, but here is some info on cheeses and what

they
> > are used for....
> >
> > Queso blanco:
> > This creamy, white cheese is made from skimmed cow's milk, and has

been

> snip
>

> Nice post. Thanks.
>

> jim

William Jennings

"La Reina" > wrote in message

_Big snip for ease of reading_

>Although not considered a Mexican cheese, Edam has become such an

intrinsic part of Yucatecan regional cooking that it is worth including
here.<

A modern Mexican chef friend puts Edam cheese inside homemade flour
tortillas and bake's it until the cheese melts. The texture of the
flour tortilla changes in baking making it a little crunchy on the
outside. The baked flour tortilla is then covered with carne guisado
and served with a good green sauce for a very mexican flavor in a novel
presentation. That melted Edam
flows out like molten gold. He usually crumbles three or four chile
petines in my cheese tortilla so it's hot as lava.

Heck, I'm making myself hungry.

doc

> [...]

north of
> the border, but Monterrey Jack is a good substitute.
> Firm Cheeses:
> Queso añejo enchilado:
> This is queso añejo, with a spicey red coating, which has been aged

to the
> point where it serves as a condiment. A strong feta cheese could be
> substituted for it.
> Queso cotija:
> Named for the town of Cotija, Michoacan, where it originated, this

is a
> sharp, crumbly goat cheese. It has been called "the Parmesan of

Mexico" and
> is usually served over beans and salads.
> Queso manchego viejo:
> As its name indicates, this is manchego that has been aged to the

point
> where it hardens and becomes more intense in flavor. It is quite often

Charles Gifford

> La Reina, honey, you know your cheese. Saving THIS post for future
> reference. Thank you. oh.... I mean... muchas gracias.
>
> SD

Yeah, and if you would like the website it came from take a look here. I'm
afraid La Reina only knows where to find info.

http://www.mexconnect.com/mex_/recip.../kgqueso1.html

Frogleg

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 09:05:33 GMT, "Charles Gifford"
> wrote:

>"Shashay Doofray" > wrote

>> La Reina, honey, you know your cheese. Saving THIS post for future
>> reference. Thank you. oh.... I mean... muchas gracias.

>Yeah, and if you would like the website it came from take a look here. I'm
>afraid La Reina only knows where to find info.
>
>http://www.mexconnect.com/mex_/recip.../kgqueso1.html

Only? Geez -- first people get criticized for suggesting Google; then
they're criticized for spoon-feeding the information to those who
can't be bothered to search for themselves. Talk about a lose-lose
situation.

"Where to find info" is a skill many are *paid* for.

Rich McCormack

Steve Wertz wrote:

> ObMexicanFood: Taco meat, finely chopped onion/fake krab, and
> cream cheese spooned into won-ton wrappers, sealed and deep fried.
> It started out just as crab rangoon, but turned out to be some
> really good fried taco thingies.

I've been using won-ton wrappers in such a way for years, probably
twenty or more, using a variety of meat, bean, chile, onion and
cheese combinations. I call 'em mini-chimichangas...brought
a plateful along with some chipotle chile hot sauce for dipping
to the San Diego Cook-in last year.
Charles Gifford

"Frogleg" > wrote in message
> Only? Geez -- first people get criticized for suggesting Google; then
> they're criticized for spoon-feeding the information to those who
> can't be bothered to search for themselves. Talk about a lose-lose
> situation.
>
> "Where to find info" is a skill many are *paid* for.

The idea is to give credit to the website or other resource and not to make
it seem it was one's own work.

Charlie

Rich McCormack

Steve Wertz wrote:

> I just wish I could get bigger won-ton wrappers. They all seem to
> be about 2.5" square; I'd like to make 'em bigger.

Try egg roll wrappers. They're twice the size and pretty much
the same thing, maybe a little heavier. Actually, when I read
won-ton in your post my brain translated to egg roll. That's
what I used for the mini-chimis for the San Diego Cook-in last
year. I've also used won-ton wrappers in the same way for
bite-size mini-chimi appetizers.
Frogleg

On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 12:18:33 -0600, Steve Wertz
> wrote:

>On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 15:07:50 GMT, Frogleg >
>wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 09:05:33 GMT, "Charles Gifford"
> wrote:
>>
>>>I'm
>>>afraid La Reina only knows where to find info.

>>Only? Geez -- first people get criticized for suggesting Google; then
>>they're criticized for spoon-feeding the information to those who
>>can't be bothered to search for themselves. Talk about a lose-lose
>>situation.

>It's proper to give credit for the site where information came
>from rather than trying to pass it off as your own info.

If one Googles for the technology-impaired and cuts & pastes directly,
I suppose attribution would be polite. However, I sometimes cut useful
information and save it as a text file for my own use. Don't generally
annotate it as a research reference for publication. Charles might
have expressed his outrage more kindly by simply mentioning that the
information posted was available on a web site.
Charles Gifford

"Frogleg" > wrote in message

> >It's proper to give credit for the site where information came
> >from rather than trying to pass it off as your own info.

> If one Googles for the technology-impaired and cuts & pastes directly,
> I suppose attribution would be polite. However, I sometimes cut useful
> information and save it as a text file for my own use. Don't generally
> annotate it as a research reference for publication. Charles might
> have expressed his outrage more kindly by simply mentioning that the
> information posted was available on a web site.

I though we were on better terms my dear frogleg! You can call me Charlie as
usual. I weren't outraged and perhap I could have been kinder, but I
suggest if look back through this thread you'd see what I'm on about. Or
not. You are still in my will BTW.

Charlie

Frogleg

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 08:28:00 GMT, "Charles Gifford"
> wrote:

>"Frogleg" > wrote in message
.. .

>> >It's proper to give credit for the site where information came
>> >from rather than trying to pass it off as your own info.

>> If one Googles for the technology-impaired and cuts & pastes directly,
>> I suppose attribution would be polite. However, I sometimes cut useful
>> information and save it as a text file for my own use. Don't generally
>> annotate it as a research reference for publication. Charles might
>> have expressed his outrage more kindly by simply mentioning that the
>> information posted was available on a web site.

>I though we were on better terms my dear frogleg! You can call me Charlie as
>usual. I weren't outraged and perhap I could have been kinder, but I
>suggest if look back through this thread you'd see what I'm on about. Or
>not. You are still in my will BTW.

^_^ Thank you, Charlie. There was a long hurangue in one of the
gardening groups recently calling participants "mean-spirited" because
they'd suggest Googling or just cite a URL instead of offering
hand-crafted personal experience/advice. It may be "proper" to
credit the source of cut&paste info, and I do see your point. The
first instance could be oversight as I described. Accepting thanks for
another's work is definitely not kosher.

Charles Gifford

<hug>

Charlie