FoodBanter.com

-   Mexican Cooking (https://www.foodbanter.com/mexican-cooking/)
-   -   Lent (https://www.foodbanter.com/mexican-cooking/14313-lent.html)

Arturo 02-03-2004 09:26 AM

Lent

This is for all my ol' school afm-c buddies. You know who you are :-)

The following is a family recipe that my grandmother used to make during lent,
when she cooked more. I've started to try to get down some of the old family
recipies before they vanish.

I also want to warn you all that I personally have never made this. Nor will I
in the near future, as I am know in Culinary school and working full time.

Note also that being a family recipe some things are left a bit vague. Just add
the "right" amount.

Cheers,

Arturo Quesada

Capriotada

7 cups water
3 tomatillos (yellowish)
1 green onion
2 cinnamon sticks
4 cloves
1 ž box brown sugar / 5 small Piloncillo

Almonds
Raisins
French bread (10 small or 4 long) ; Day old.
Parmesan / Romano/ Queso seco*

Boil first six ingredients for 60 minutes. Strain.
Soak almonds in water for 10 minutes, slip off skins with a towel and slice in
half.
Butter a baking dish**. Slice and layer bread, almonds, raisins, dry cheese.

Pour liquid over the bread. Bake in the oven at 350 for 45 minutes uncovered.

Notes: Traditionally served during lent.

* Cheeses were grated from a larger chunk. My mom used parm-reg; My grandmother
remembers an uncle bringing her a cheese with a "black rind" that she really
liked, I am assuming this is either romano or an aged manchego.

** I know, what size? right! I don't know, the right size to get like two
layers in the pan. my guess 2 9x11

Rolly 02-03-2004 06:32 PM

Lent

Here in Lerdo, Durango, my friend Doņa Martha makes capirotada using
pecans rather than almonds, and she adds various dried fruits -- sort
of a Mexican fruit cake. Really good.

Linda 02-03-2004 06:36 PM

Lent

"Rolly" > wrote in message
om...
> Here in Lerdo, Durango, my friend Doņa Martha makes capirotada using
> pecans rather than almonds, and she adds various dried fruits -- sort
> of a Mexican fruit cake. Really good.

I like to make it with almonds and cheese, I'll post the recipe when I have
time I'll also post another favorite for Good Friday, tortas de camarones/

Linda