William Jennings

Default Shashay Doofray is now exiled and banded forever from this group

Dear alt.food.mexican-cooking Purists,

I am the self appointed authenticop ... er ... purists ... um ... of
this newsgroup!

There will be no more discussion of off-topic subjects regarding or
involving words like "Tex-Mex", African-American Style
and God forbid Mississippi Cornbread and rural Missouri.

Shashay Doofray is now exiled and banded forever from this group. The
nerve to bring up the subject of Cornmeal Tamales
in this authentic Mexican food group!!!!

Hey, jes' jiving ya'.... Thanks for those additional Cornmeal Tamale
recipes!! I was scared to even mentioned those great tamales and the
term Tex-Mex on this ng before Shashay did. :-)

Che' Doc Petadoggy

The Ranger

William Jennings > shouted throughout afm-c in message
[snip]
> Shashay Doofray is now exiled and banded forever

[snip]

What color and style is s/he banded? Stripes or solids? Patterned or
paisley? Pink or passion papaya?

Speak up man! As spokesman, you should know!

The Ranger

ObFood: Cerviche fer lunch. It was very bland.

William Jennings

Default Shashay Doofray is now exiled and banned forever from this group

"The Ranger" > wrote in message
> William Jennings > shouted throughout afm-c in

message
> [snip]
> > Shashay Doofray is now exiled and banded forever

> [snip]
>
> What color and style is s/he banded? Stripes or solids? Patterned or
> paisley? Pink or passion papaya?
>
> Speak up man! As spokesman, you should know!
>
> The Ranger
>
> ObFood: Cerviche fer lunch. It was very bland.

Hm....... the Ranger is a sanctimonious master of the art of snarking
someone, under the guise of being helpful I see.
O.K. I deserved that...... of course we know I should have typed banned.
I was overly concerned with spelling authenticops :-)

I love Ceviche, is Cerviche, Ceviche made with beer? :-)

El doc

P.S. I don't know or care what color Shashay Doofray is, perhaps s/he
has escaped our asylum and happy making corn meal tamales today.

The Ranger

[article snipped apart for reading ease]

William Jennings > wrote in message
[snip]
> > > Shashay Doofray is now exiled and banded forever
> > >

> > What color and style is s/he banded? Stripes or solids? Patterned
> > or paisley? Pink or passion papaya?
> >
> > Speak up man! As spokesman, you should know!
> >

> Hm....... the Ranger is a sanctimonious master of the art of
> snarking someone, under the guise of being helpful I see. O.K.

/bows
Your servant, sir...

> > ObFood: Cerviche fer lunch. It was very bland.
> >

> I love Ceviche, is Cerviche, Ceviche made with beer? :-)

Not this one -- A Rick Bayless feature on one of his shows... I thought
it looked really simple and fun. It's both. It's also devoid of taste
with minimal texture... Don't know why; maybe because of the limes...
Recipe's below.

CEVICHE DE CAMARON: SHRIMP CEVICHE "COCKTAIL"

INGREDIENTS:
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 generous pound unpeeled smallish shrimp
(I prefer the ones that are 41/50 count to a pound)
1/2 medium white onion, chopped into 1/4 inch pieces
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro, plus several sprigs for
garnish
1/2 cup ketchup
1 to 2 tablespoons vinegary Mexican bottled hot sauce
(such as Tamazula, Valentina or Búfalo, the latter
being on the sweet side)
About 2 tablespoons olive oil, preferably extra-virgin
(optional, but recommended to smooth out sharpness)
1 cup diced peeled cucumber or jícama (or 1/2 cup of each)
1 small ripe avocado, peeled, pitted and cubed
Salt
Several lime slices for garnish
Tostadas or tortilla chips, store-bought or homemade or
saltine crackers for serving

1. Cooking and Marinating the Shrimp. Bring 1 quart salted water to a
boil and add 2 tablespoons of the lime juice. Scoop in the shrimp, cover
and let the water return to the boil. Immediately remove from the heat,
set the lid askew and pour off all the liquid. Replace the cover and let
the shrimp steam off the heat for 10 minutes. Spread out the shrimp in a
large glass or stainless steel bowl to cool completely. Peel and devein
the shrimp if you wish: One by one lay the shrimp on your work surface,
make a shallow incision down the back and scrape out the (usually) dark
intestinal tract. Toss the shrimp with the remaining 1/2 lime juice,
cover and refrigerate for about an hour.

2. The flavorings. In a small strainer, rinse the onion under cold
water, then shake off the excess liquid. Add to the shrimp bowl along
with the cilantro, ketchup, hot sauce, optional olive oil, cucumber
and/or jícama and avocado. Taste and season with salt, usually about 1/2
teaspoon. Cover and refrigerate if not serving immediately.

3. Serving the ceviche. Spoon the ceviche into sundae glasses, martini
glasses, or small bowls: garnish with sprigs of cilantro and slices of
lime. Serve with tostadas, tortilla chips or saltines to enjoy
alongside.

Working Ahead: The ceviche is best made the day it is served. The
flavorings can be added to the shrimp a few hours in advance.

Makes 3 cups, serving 6 as an appetizer.
"Mexico One Plate at a Time"
Rick Bayless

William Jennings

"The Ranger" > the Ranger wrote in message

> CEVICHE DE CAMARON: SHRIMP CEVICHE "COCKTAIL"
>
> INGREDIENTS:
> 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
> 1 generous pound unpeeled smallish shrimp
> (I prefer the ones that are 41/50 count to a pound)
> 1/2 medium white onion, chopped into 1/4 inch pieces
> 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro, plus several sprigs for
> garnish
> 1/2 cup ketchup
> 1 to 2 tablespoons vinegary Mexican bottled hot sauce
> (such as Tamazula, Valentina or Búfalo, the latter
> being on the sweet side)
> About 2 tablespoons olive oil, preferably extra-virgin
> (optional, but recommended to smooth out sharpness)
> 1 cup diced peeled cucumber or jícama (or 1/2 cup of each)
> 1 small ripe avocado, peeled, pitted and cubed
> Salt
> Several lime slices for garnish
> Tostadas or tortilla chips, store-bought or homemade or
> saltine crackers for serving
>
> 1. Cooking and Marinating the Shrimp. Bring 1 quart salted water to a
> boil and add 2 tablespoons of the lime juice. Scoop in the shrimp,

cover
> and let the water return to the boil. Immediately remove from the

heat,
> set the lid askew and pour off all the liquid. Replace the cover and

let
> the shrimp steam off the heat for 10 minutes. Spread out the shrimp in

> large glass or stainless steel bowl to cool completely. Peel and

devein
> the shrimp if you wish: One by one lay the shrimp on your work

surface,
> make a shallow incision down the back and scrape out the (usually)

dark
> intestinal tract. Toss the shrimp with the remaining 1/2 lime juice,
> cover and refrigerate for about an hour.
>
> 2. The flavorings. In a small strainer, rinse the onion under cold
> water, then shake off the excess liquid. Add to the shrimp bowl along
> with the cilantro, ketchup, hot sauce, optional olive oil, cucumber
> and/or jícama and avocado. Taste and season with salt, usually about

1/2
> teaspoon. Cover and refrigerate if not serving immediately.
>
> 3. Serving the ceviche. Spoon the ceviche into sundae glasses, martini
> glasses, or small bowls: garnish with sprigs of cilantro and slices of
> lime. Serve with tostadas, tortilla chips or saltines to enjoy
> alongside.
>
> Working Ahead: The ceviche is best made the day it is served. The
> flavorings can be added to the shrimp a few hours in advance.
>
> Makes 3 cups, serving 6 as an appetizer.
> "Mexico One Plate at a Time"
> Rick Bayless

Sir Ranger,

I don't have a lot of time at the moment but let me say this. I lived
in Peru and leaned to love ceviche there. My girlfriend who was an
excellent in the kitchen taught me to cook the seafood ONLY in lemon
juice, overnight as you say. In her manner she didn't use avocado,
cucumber or jícama. Julia used diced celery, tomato, white onions, lots
of cilantro and finely chopped chile Aji Amarillo, the famous Peruvian
yellow hot pepper. I find chile serrano works just find in it's place.
Julie made it firely (like her nature) but the single most important
thing was the fish. I don't recall her ever using shrimp much less
boiling shrimp, she liked using sheephead and the local corvina. Imo,
shimp are too delicate to stand up to the strong citric acid. The
sheephead is a firm textured fish and has flavor enough to give it the
taste of "La Mar".

Be use and use a glass or ceramic dish to cook the ceviche in and
remember it's the lemon juice that cooks the fish not heat!

Hombre, that lady could cook and I closely followed her manners and will
never be anything close to her in the kitchen. I make a pretty fair
ceviche so say my fishermen friends ( I have 2 :-) well, maybe one now.
:-0 The best ceviche imo, is made using sheephead or dolphin and large
claw meat from crab.

Now, in a good Mexican style shrimp cocktail, you betcha, I use large
tiger shrimp when they are good.

Hey, if any one is interested, I do have seeds for those famous Peruvian
Aji Amarillo's and Rojo's .

Folks, please forgive me for saying _Peru_ and Peruvian. I know this is
wrong. Please don't banden' me back to oatmeal,.skip a meal, and miss a
meal.

Thanks to Julia Ventura Barbero where ever she may be!

doc Yes, I know, this is just one of many ways to make ceviche but
Julie lived he http://www.pacasmayo.net/pacasmayo/

La Reina

"The Ranger" > wrote in message
> [...]

> intestinal tract. Toss the shrimp with the remaining 1/2 lime juice,
> cover and refrigerate for about an hour.
>
> 2. The flavorings. In a small strainer, rinse the onion under cold
> water, then shake off the excess liquid. Add to the shrimp bowl along
> with the cilantro, ketchup, hot sauce, optional olive oil, cucumber
> and/or jícama and avocado. Taste and season with salt, usually about 1/2
> teaspoon. Cover and refrigerate if not serving immediately.
>
> 3. Serving the ceviche. Spoon the ceviche into sundae glasses, martini
> glasses, or small bowls: garnish with sprigs of cilantro and slices of
> lime. Serve with tostadas, tortilla chips or saltines to enjoy
> alongside.
>
> Working Ahead: The ceviche is best made the day it is served. The
> flavorings can be added to the shrimp a few hours in advance.
>
> Makes 3 cups, serving 6 as an appetizer.

real authentic ceviche is made with fish too... here is a recipe:
Serves 2
1 Cup thinly sliced whitefish (cod,grouper, snapper)
8 oz. shimp, peeled and deveined
1/2 Cup Orange Juice
2 Tbs. Lime Juice
1 Tbs. Diced Red Onion
1 Tbs. Diced Tomato
1 Tbs. Chopped Scallions
1 Tsp. Diced Jalapeno
1 Tbs. Chopped Cilantro

Instructions:
Place the fish in a bowl with 3 tablespoons of the orange juice and 1
tablespoon of the lime juice. Set aside and let marinate for 1 hour. Remove
fish from juices and place in a different bowl. Add the remaining
ingredients and the remaining fresh orange and lime juice.

Shashay Doofray

> Hey, jes' jiving ya'.... Thanks for those additional Cornmeal Tamale
> recipes!! I was scared to even mentioned those great tamales and the
> term Tex-Mex on this ng before Shashay did. :-)
>
> Che' Doc Petadoggy

I about had a heart attack.

But I do agree that there is no substitute for masa when it comes to
tamales. I will have to order some online if I can't find any locally.
*sigh* NOW I have to find some Anchos too!!!!

SD

William Jennings

"Shashay Doofray" > wrote in message

> > Hey, jes' jiving ya'.... Thanks for those additional Cornmeal Tamale
> > recipes!! I was scared to even mentioned those great tamales and

the
> > term Tex-Mex on this ng before Shashay did. :-)
> >
> > Che' Doc Petadoggy

> I about had a heart attack.
>
> But I do agree that there is no substitute for masa when it comes to
> tamales. I will have to order some online if I can't find any

locally.
> *sigh* NOW I have to find some Anchos too!!!!
>
> SD

Hey Shashay,

I'll send you all the Anchos you need since I'm surrounded by them.an
almost gave you a heart attack. :-)
Those tamales might give you a heart attack, hardly heart healthy and
you can't eat just one.

doc

The Ranger

La Reina > wrote in message
[snip]
> real authentic ceviche is made with fish too...

/Hiss!
You used the "a" word! The SHAME of some people just knows no bounds!

BTW: I knew ceviche can be made with fish.

The Ranger

Shashay Doofray

"William Jennings" > wrote in message

> "Shashay Doofray" > wrote in message
> >
> > > Hey, jes' jiving ya'.... Thanks for those additional Cornmeal Tamale
> > > recipes!! I was scared to even mentioned those great tamales and

> the
> > > term Tex-Mex on this ng before Shashay did. :-)
> > >
> > > Che' Doc Petadoggy

> > I about had a heart attack.
> >
> > But I do agree that there is no substitute for masa when it comes to
> > tamales. I will have to order some online if I can't find any

> locally.
> > *sigh* NOW I have to find some Anchos too!!!!
> >
> > SD

> Hey Shashay,
>
> I'll send you all the Anchos you need since I'm surrounded by them.an
> almost gave you a heart attack. :-)
> Those tamales might give you a heart attack, hardly heart healthy and
> you can't eat just one.
>
> doc

Oh how true...especially that 1 1/2 cups of lard huh? Well, I know a lot of
very old Mexicans who eat a lot of stuff that isn't good for them and they
seem very healthy to me. More importantly, they seem a LOT HAPPIER than
most of the other people I know. I don't know if it is the food or the
lifestyle or what, but I bet the tamales have something to do with it!

I might take you up on that offer of anchos!

SD

William Jennings

> > doc

> Oh how true...especially that 1 1/2 cups of lard huh? Well, I know a

lot of
> very old Mexicans who eat a lot of stuff that isn't good for them and

they
> seem very healthy to me. More importantly, they seem a LOT HAPPIER

than
> most of the other people I know. I don't know if it is the food or

the
> lifestyle or what, but I bet the tamales have something to do with it!
>
> I might take you up on that offer of anchos!
>
> SD

This might may you happy: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/3157570.stm

HAPPINESS AROUND THE WORLD
The happiest
Nigeria
Mexico
Venezuela
El Salvador
Puerto Rico
The least happy
Russia
Armenia
Romania
Source: New Scientist

The March issue of Saveur arrived today. There's an intereting story
and recipe for Red Chile Tamales.
I'd be happier if I could eat what I wanted..... Not! I'd just be fat.
:-)

Doc

John Droge

> "William Jennings" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Shashay Doofray" > wrote in message

? Well, I know a lot of
> very old Mexicans who eat a lot of stuff that isn't good for them and they
> seem very healthy to me. More importantly, they seem a LOT HAPPIER than
> most of the other people I know. I don't know if it is the food or the
> lifestyle or what, but I bet the tamales have something to do with it!
>
> I might take you up on that offer of anchos!
>
> SD

People who eat so healthy and exercise so much don't live longer; it just
seems so cuz' they're so damned Bored! G>
John

Shashay Doofray

> ? Well, I know a lot of
> > very old Mexicans who eat a lot of stuff that isn't good for them and

they
> > seem very healthy to me. More importantly, they seem a LOT HAPPIER than
> > most of the other people I know. I don't know if it is the food or the
> > lifestyle or what, but I bet the tamales have something to do with it!
> >
> > I might take you up on that offer of anchos!
> >
> > SD

> People who eat so healthy and exercise so much don't live longer; it just
> seems so cuz' they're so damned Bored! G>
> John

lol I agree with you John. People make fun of me because I love to cook,
eat and drink a little wine now and then. They are out there mountain biking
and hiking and they NEVER look like they are enjoying it. When was the last
time you saw a person running on the side of the road with a smile on their
face?

Nobody knows how to enjoy life anymore. It's just work, work, work, stress,
stress, stress. Even when they are supposedly "having a good time" they are
stressed out about it. Bleah! No thank you.

People who eat good Mexican food - now THEY know how to enjoy life.

SD

Linda

You got that right! Good Mexican food along with a good Mexican beer!

Linda