Shashay Doofray

Default The importance of Masa in tamales

Where I live (rural Missouri) it is virtually impossible to obtain authentic
tamale making products. (Yes I know they are available on the internet).

But I am wondering if anyone uses plain old cornmeal to make tamales and if
so, how they turn out.

SD

--
Be Careful What You Wish For.

La Reina

"Shashay Doofray" > wrote in message
> Where I live (rural Missouri) it is virtually impossible to obtain

authentic
> tamale making products. (Yes I know they are available on the internet).
>
> But I am wondering if anyone uses plain old cornmeal to make tamales and

if
> so, how they turn out.
>
> SD
>
> --
> Be Careful What You Wish For.

7 cups chicken, meat or vegetable stock
2 cups lard, butter, margarine, shortening, olive or corn oil, or any
combination of these
1-2 tablespoons salt (how much depends on how salty your stock is)
12 cups dry masa harina flour

Heat the stock until it is warm.

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix the
flour with stock. Beat on medium speed for a minute or two until well
combined. If your dough seems dry, don't be afriad to add additional stock.
At this point your dough should resemble a thick pudding.

If you're using oil, drizzle in oil while mixing and beat the masa for about
10 minutes or until light and fluffy.

If you are using butter, margarine, lard or shortening as your fat, remove
the masa mixture from bowl and set aside. Beat the solid fats on high speed
for 2-3 minutes or until light and fluffy. Add the masa mixture to the
whipped fat a cup at a time until it is all incorporated. Continue to beat
for about 5-8 minutes or until the dough is a soft paste consistency.

La Reina

> Where I live (rural Missouri) it is virtually impossible to obtain

authentic
> tamale making products. (Yes I know they are available on the internet).
>
> But I am wondering if anyone uses plain old cornmeal to make tamales and

if
> so, how they turn out.
>
> SD
>
> --
> Be Careful What You Wish For.

good luck in making your tamales.. I ma making them tomorrow. They are so
YUMMMMMY!

Bob Dietz

"La Reina" > wrote in message

> "Shashay Doofray" > wrote in message
> > Where I live (rural Missouri) it is virtually impossible to obtain

> authentic
> > tamale making products. (Yes I know they are available on the internet).
> >
> > But I am wondering if anyone uses plain old cornmeal to make tamales and

> if
> > so, how they turn out.
> >

> 7 cups chicken, meat or vegetable stock
> 2 cups lard, butter, margarine, shortening, olive or corn oil, or any
> combination of these
> 1-2 tablespoons salt (how much depends on how salty your stock is)
> 12 cups dry masa harina flour

^^^^^^^^^^

I believe that the original poster was asking if it were possible to
substitute corn meal for masa harina.

I haven't tried it, because masa harina is available in almost any grocery
store around here, even those that don't stock "latin" products.

If you do try it, let us know the results.

Bob Dietz

Steve Wertz

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 20:43:01 -0600, "Shashay Doofray"
> wrote:

>Where I live (rural Missouri) it is virtually impossible to obtain authentic
>tamale making products. (Yes I know they are available on the internet).
>
>But I am wondering if anyone uses plain old cornmeal to make tamales and if
>so, how they turn out.

You'd be making filled polenta, not tamales. They will not be
anything like tamales - too heavy/dense and completely different
taste.

-sw

Frogleg

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 20:43:01 -0600, "Shashay Doofray"
> wrote:

>Where I live (rural Missouri) it is virtually impossible to obtain authentic
>tamale making products. (Yes I know they are available on the internet).
>
>But I am wondering if anyone uses plain old cornmeal to make tamales and if
>so, how they turn out.

Masa (dough) is a corn product, but not cornmeal. I understand that in
enlightened areas, one can actually buy prepared dough, but the rest
of us use Quaker masa harina 'flour':

http://www.tortillamix.com/

If it's not available in your area, perhaps you could ask a friend to
pick up a bag in The Big City. It's on the shelf in American grocery
stores all over the country.
Frogleg

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 00:04:21 -0600, Steve Wertz
> wrote:

>On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 20:43:01 -0600, "Shashay Doofray"
> wrote:

>>But I am wondering if anyone uses plain old cornmeal to make tamales and if
>>so, how they turn out.

>You'd be making filled polenta, not tamales. They will not be
>anything like tamales - too heavy/dense and completely different
>taste.

OTOH, are there any recipes for rolling polenta around various
fillings? I mean, suppose you spread it out thinly on a plastic-lined
jellyroll pan to cool a bit, then spread on filling, roll up, chill,
cut, and bake or fry? I've never made filled polenta, but it sounds
like an interesting experiment. Not a tamale, to be sure. Oh, I love
the flavor of masa. But a possibility?
La Reina

"Bob Dietz" > wrote in message

> "La Reina" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Shashay Doofray" > wrote in message
> > > Where I live (rural Missouri) it is virtually impossible to obtain

> > authentic
> > > tamale making products. (Yes I know they are available on the

internet).

> > > But I am wondering if anyone uses plain old cornmeal to make tamales

and
> > if
> > > so, how they turn out.
> > >

> > 7 cups chicken, meat or vegetable stock
> > 2 cups lard, butter, margarine, shortening, olive or corn oil, or any
> > combination of these
> > 1-2 tablespoons salt (how much depends on how salty your stock is)
> > 12 cups dry masa harina flour

> ^^^^^^^^^^
>
> I believe that the original poster was asking if it were possible to
> substitute corn meal for masa harina.
>
> I haven't tried it, because masa harina is available in almost any grocery
> store around here, even those that don't stock "latin" products.
>
> If you do try it, let us know the results.
>
> Bob Dietz

Yeah I noticed that she was asking that but as you said masa harina is
available pretty much anywhere.

Jed

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 13:14:50 GMT, Frogleg > wrote:

>On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 00:04:21 -0600, Steve Wertz
> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 20:43:01 -0600, "Shashay Doofray"
> wrote:

>>>But I am wondering if anyone uses plain old cornmeal to make tamales and if
>>>so, how they turn out.

>>You'd be making filled polenta, not tamales. They will not be
>>anything like tamales - too heavy/dense and completely different
>>taste.

>OTOH, are there any recipes for rolling polenta around various
>fillings? I mean, suppose you spread it out thinly on a plastic-lined
>jellyroll pan to cool a bit, then spread on filling, roll up, chill,
>cut, and bake or fry? I've never made filled polenta, but it sounds
>like an interesting experiment. Not a tamale, to be sure. Oh, I love
>the flavor of masa. But a possibility?

Serendipitously, a recent Molto Mario on the Food Network prepared
Baked Polenta: Polenta al Forno, which, though not exactly as you
described (jelly roll-style), is polenta with a peccorino/smoked
mozzarella/sausage stuffing. See:

http://www.foodtv.com/food/recipes/r..._19055,00.html

jed_
William Jennings

Default The importance of Masa in tamales ( is nada )

> Where I live (rural Missouri) it is virtually impossible to obtain

authentic
> tamale making products. (Yes I know they are available on the

internet).

> But I am wondering if anyone uses plain old cornmeal to make tamales

and if
> so, how they turn out.

Shashay Doofray this is Che' Doc :-)

Hombre, the best damned tamales I've ever had were as a child in East
Texas staying with my grandmother. This was in the 50's and downtown
Lufkin, Texas was an old black tamale man who sang out the Tamale song,
"Git your hot, fresh tamales, hot tamales etc." These were made with
cornmeal!!!!! There was also a famous Tamale Man in Houston who made
those great cornmeal tamales! I have the recipe somewhere and a lot
more information on these if you're interested.

It seems in the dim mist of history, mexican farm workers mixed with
blacks in the cotton growing regions of the south back in those times on
the plantations. Tamales were a favorite field food because they were
handy to eat and came ready wrapped. The blacks picked up on the
tamales and used corn meal beause it was there! To my taste these were
the best tamales I've ever eaten and I've had tamales form San Antonio
and Mexico through Central America and South America.

I might also add, the best BBQ I ever remember having was made by those
East Texas Blacks in a shack down on the Trinity
River just across the Angelina county line on Hwy. 94. That little
shack had no electric power or running water but those two old black men
were cookin'.

Btw, I think those old cornmeal tamales may be against the law now, the
lard content was criminal! :-)

Hey, run a search on cornmeal tamales and see what you find. I recall a
site in Austin Texas devoted to all kinds of tamales
including those old cornmeal tamales.

Thus ends my rant! :-)

Che' Doc

Mitch

CORNMEAL TAMALES

Serves 6

1 cup cornmeal
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup milk
1 cup butter
1/2 cup parsley, chopped
1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
2 tablespoons green onions, chopped
1 tablespoon basil
6 corn husks

In a large bowl, mix cornmeal, salt, pepper, baking powder, and milk.

In another bowl, cream butter until smooth. Add the cornmeal mixture
gradually, mixing well. Add chopped parsley, chopped cilantro, chopped
green onion, and basil. Mix together until smooth and well-blended.

Soak corn husks until soft. Drain and pat dry. Spread with the
cornmeal mixture and top with 1-2 tablespoons black bean filling. Fold
the sides of the husk to the center, tie a thin strip of husk around
one end to secure, and arrange on a rack well above simmering water.
Steam, covered, for about 1 hour.

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 12:11:23 -0600, "William Jennings"
> wrote:

>"Shashay Doofray" > wrote in message
>> Where I live (rural Missouri) it is virtually impossible to obtain

>authentic
>> tamale making products. (Yes I know they are available on the

>internet).
>>
>> But I am wondering if anyone uses plain old cornmeal to make tamales

>and if
>> so, how they turn out.
>>

>Shashay Doofray this is Che' Doc :-)
>
>Hombre, the best damned tamales I've ever had were as a child in East
>Texas staying with my grandmother. This was in the 50's and downtown
>Lufkin, Texas was an old black tamale man who sang out the Tamale song,
>"Git your hot, fresh tamales, hot tamales etc." These were made with
>cornmeal!!!!! There was also a famous Tamale Man in Houston who made
>those great cornmeal tamales! I have the recipe somewhere and a lot
>more information on these if you're interested.
>
>It seems in the dim mist of history, mexican farm workers mixed with
>blacks in the cotton growing regions of the south back in those times on
>the plantations. Tamales were a favorite field food because they were
>handy to eat and came ready wrapped. The blacks picked up on the
>tamales and used corn meal beause it was there! To my taste these were
>the best tamales I've ever eaten and I've had tamales form San Antonio
>and Mexico through Central America and South America.
>
>I might also add, the best BBQ I ever remember having was made by those
>East Texas Blacks in a shack down on the Trinity
>River just across the Angelina county line on Hwy. 94. That little
>shack had no electric power or running water but those two old black men
>were cookin'.
>
>Btw, I think those old cornmeal tamales may be against the law now, the
>lard content was criminal! :-)
>
>Hey, run a search on cornmeal tamales and see what you find. I recall a
>site in Austin Texas devoted to all kinds of tamales
>including those old cornmeal tamales.
>
>Thus ends my rant! :-)
>
>Che' Doc

Jay P Francis

Here is a recipe developed during research in the use of cornbread in the South
for making tamales, for the upcoming book, The Tex-Mex Cookbook by Robb Walsh.
The book will be out in June.

African-American Style Tamales- Mississippi Cornbread Style

Ingredients:

Cornbread
3 cups white cornmeal
1 cup flour
2 tablespoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups milk
3 eggs beaten
3/4 cup vegetable oil

1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a 13" x 9" x 2" cake pan.

Combine the dry ingredients in the mixing bowl of an electric mixer. Add the
milk, egg, and oil and blend at low speed for 2-3 minutes or until blended.
Pour into the prepared pan and bake 25 minutes or until golden brown and
slightly dry. Remove and allow to cool at room temperature.

Using your fingers, crumble the cornbread in a mixing bowl. Or, for a more
consistent texture (will break up the browner top and bottom of the cornbread)
use a food processor to break up the cornbread. This recipe will yield
approximately 12 cups of crumbled cornbread.

Crumble and prepare for use as a masa by blending 12 cups crumbled cornbread,
1/2 cup water, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon black pepper. Blend the mixture
with your fingers to incorporate the water and spices. The mixture should be
moist and spongy but not gummy. Add additional water if required in order to
make a mixture that is pliable and moldable when squeezed.

Yield: Will reduce, due to the water to approximately 10-11 cups.

Substitute the cornbread 'mush' for masa. Makes for a lower fat, lower
calorie, and quite delicious tamal.
Shelora

Fun with polenta.
Just before it is done you can add all sorts of things to the mix -
chopped lemon zest, chopped sundried tomatoes - then pour into a
lightly greased shallow pan, smoothing it out. Let sit and then cut
into squares or triangles.
This is a classic appetizer. Heat to order either fried or baked and
served with your favourite tomato sauce and pecorino cheese grated on
top.

Frogleg > wrote in message >. ..
> On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 20:43:01 -0600, "Shashay Doofray"
> > wrote:
>
> >Where I live (rural Missouri) it is virtually impossible to obtain authentic
> >tamale making products. (Yes I know they are available on the internet).
> >
> >But I am wondering if anyone uses plain old cornmeal to make tamales and if
> >so, how they turn out.

> Masa (dough) is a corn product, but not cornmeal. I understand that in
> enlightened areas, one can actually buy prepared dough, but the rest
> of us use Quaker masa harina 'flour':
>
> http://www.tortillamix.com/
>
> If it's not available in your area, perhaps you could ask a friend to
> pick up a bag in The Big City. It's on the shelf in American grocery
> stores all over the country.

Masa for Tamales chilichick Mexican Cooking 6 18-12-2007 12:01 AM
Oaxacan Pumpkin Tamales (Tamales Miahuatecos) Judy Bolton Recipes (moderated) 0 29-04-2007 02:16 AM
Oaxacan Pumpkin Tamales (Tamales Miahuatecos) Oh Deer Recipes (moderated) 0 11-11-2005 06:07 AM
Masa for Tamales Ernie Mexican Cooking 4 18-01-2005 03:10 AM
Masa for Tamales Ernie Mexican Cooking 0 15-01-2005 05:43 PM