Frogleg

Default Boston butt pork roast

is on sale. Can I whomp up a batch of bunch of meat to freeze for
fillings, etc.? How long at what temperature? I'm looking for a prep
that melts out/disappears nearly all the fat and leaves something
suitable for being "shredded with 2 forks" as a result.
Mr. Wizard

"Frogleg" > wrote in message
> is on sale. Can I whomp up a batch of bunch of meat to freeze for
> fillings, etc.? How long at what temperature? I'm looking for a prep
> that melts out/disappears nearly all the fat and leaves something
> suitable for being "shredded with 2 forks" as a result.

I used to do this on weekends and sell tacos from a street stand.
Brown the pork in a dutch oven, add water till halfway submerged.
Put the lid on the dutch oven and braise at 200 degrees overnight.
It should be falling apart.
Cool it and remove the congealed fat.
Then you can freeze it in whatever portions you want and spice
each however you please in when you thaw it.
The customer favorite was re-fried with green chili's and potatoes.
Another fav was re-fried with Thai chili's, potatoes and fresh basil.

HTH

Steve Wertz

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 12:51:09 GMT, Frogleg >
wrote:

>is on sale. Can I whomp up a batch of bunch of meat to freeze for
>fillings, etc.? How long at what temperature? I'm looking for a prep
>that melts out/disappears nearly all the fat and leaves something
>suitable for being "shredded with 2 forks" as a result.

Just rub a whole one with some spice for aroma, then pop it in a
low oven, say 260 or so, and cook for 6-8 hours until it reads 195
in several places. Then you can shred or chop, then fry (with a
little water or broth) with additional spices of choice.

Alternatively, you can cut it up into chunks and simmer in broth
to cover, and spices of choice for an hour or two, letting the
liquid evaporate at the end with the lid off. Then mash it up and
it's ready to go. This is what I do with "butt chunks for
carnitas" I get from the butcher.

-sw
Jay P Francis

They're making it too difficult. Just put it in a crockpot for 6-8 hours,
shred the meat, remove the fat.
Frogleg

Default The winners (so far) -- was: Boston butt pork roast

Thanks for the suggestions. No smoker/grill, so Faye's method, good as
it sounds, is out. No crockpot/slow cooker, either, but I appreciate
the simplicity of Jay's advice. I think I'm going to go with some
variation of Mr. Wizard and Steve -- long, very slow oven. The
99-cents/lb special is on 'til Tuesday, 'though I may have to get a
raincheck, since they were out yesterday afternoon (Friday).

Thanks to all.