Old 13-12-2007, 06:19 PM posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Default Masa for Tamales

We tested a batch of Chicken Chili Verde Tamales this weekend and
didn't like the masa we made. We usually buy it from the Mexicatessan
but thought we would try to make our own. Didn't work out I think/
felt it had too much lard in it. We followed the recipe... last year
we made 45 dozen. Hopefully more this year. We will make pork,
cheese and jalapeno and some sweet.
Tried to price it out, but for $1.05 lb it's cheaper to buy the masa
than to make it.
chilichick

Old 13-12-2007, 07:57 PM posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

chilichick wrote:
We tested a batch of Chicken Chili Verde Tamales this weekend and
didn't like the masa we made. We usually buy it from the Mexicatessan
but thought we would try to make our own. Didn't work out I think/
felt it had too much lard in it. We followed the recipe... last year
we made 45 dozen. Hopefully more this year. We will make pork,
cheese and jalapeno and some sweet.
Tried to price it out, but for $1.05 lb it's cheaper to buy the masa
than to make it.
chilichick

Great idea to buy pre-made Masa, I'll look for it this year.
Old 14-12-2007, 04:43 AM posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Nixtamal without the tequeskite will never be as good as with that magical
salt/soda rock from the Texcoco dry lake bed. I think you can order by
email.

Forty five dozen!!! You are a sucker for punishment!

Old 14-12-2007, 05:38 PM posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Dec 13, 7:43 pm, "Wayne Lundberg"
wrote:
Nixtamal without the tequeskite will never be as good as with that magical
salt/soda rock from the Texcoco dry lake bed. I think you can order by
email.

Forty five dozen!!! You are a sucker for punishment!

"chilichick" wrote in message

We tested a batch of Chicken Chili Verde Tamales this weekend and
didn't like the masa we made. We usually buy it from the Mexicatessan
but thought we would try to make our own. Didn't work out I think/
felt it had too much lard in it. We followed the recipe... last year
we made 45 dozen. Hopefully more this year. We will make pork,
cheese and jalapeno and some sweet.
Tried to price it out, but for $1.05 lb it's cheaper to buy the masa
than to make it.
chilichick- Hide quoted text -

Hey Wayne,
yea, I love it... after the first couple of drinks, it's a piece of
cake.
Enjoy your holidays... I'm cooking for 6 parties all before Christmas
and working my regular day job. glad I have lots of vacation time to
work
Old 16-12-2007, 06:11 PM posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

The link doesn't work. Try this one
http://mexicancooking.netrelief.com/...s_recipe.shtml
Old 18-12-2007, 01:01 AM posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Dec 16, 9:11 am, Rolly wrote:
The link doesn't work. Try this onehttp://mexicancooking.netrelief.com/tamales/how_to_make_hot_tamales_r...

Hey Rolly,
I checked it out and I like it...thanks. I'll try it out when I only
have to make a few dozen... On the last count on our list we are
making 50 dozen, not bad. I use a wallpaper spreader to spread the
masa on to the hoja, makes it alot faster. Once you get the hang of
it
thanks again,
chilichick

Oaxacan Pumpkin Tamales (Tamales Miahuatecos) Judy Bolton Recipes (moderated) 0 29-04-2007 02:16 AM
Oaxacan Pumpkin Tamales (Tamales Miahuatecos) Oh Deer Recipes (moderated) 0 11-11-2005 07:07 AM
Masa for Tamales Ernie Mexican Cooking 4 18-01-2005 04:10 AM
Masa for Tamales Ernie Mexican Cooking 0 15-01-2005 06:43 PM
The importance of Masa in tamales Shashay Doofray Mexican Cooking 12 26-02-2004 05:34 AM