FoodBanter.com

-   Mexican Cooking (https://www.foodbanter.com/mexican-cooking/)
-   -   Masa for Tamales (https://www.foodbanter.com/mexican-cooking/142997-masa-tamales.html)

chilichick 13-12-2007 06:19 PM

Masa for Tamales

We tested a batch of Chicken Chili Verde Tamales this weekend and
didn't like the masa we made. We usually buy it from the Mexicatessan
but thought we would try to make our own. Didn't work out I think/
felt it had too much lard in it. We followed the recipe... last year
we made 45 dozen. Hopefully more this year. We will make pork,
cheese and jalapeno and some sweet.
Tried to price it out, but for $1.05 lb it's cheaper to buy the masa
than to make it.
chilichick

Sonoran Dude[_2_] 13-12-2007 07:57 PM

Masa for Tamales

chilichick wrote:
> We tested a batch of Chicken Chili Verde Tamales this weekend and
> didn't like the masa we made. We usually buy it from the Mexicatessan
> but thought we would try to make our own. Didn't work out I think/
> felt it had too much lard in it. We followed the recipe... last year
> we made 45 dozen. Hopefully more this year. We will make pork,
> cheese and jalapeno and some sweet.
> Tried to price it out, but for $1.05 lb it's cheaper to buy the masa
> than to make it.
> chilichick

Great idea to buy pre-made Masa, I'll look for it this year.

Wayne Lundberg 14-12-2007 04:43 AM

Masa for Tamales

Nixtamal without the tequeskite will never be as good as with that magical
salt/soda rock from the Texcoco dry lake bed. I think you can order by
email.

Forty five dozen!!! You are a sucker for punishment!

chilichick 14-12-2007 05:38 PM

Masa for Tamales

On Dec 13, 7:43 pm, "Wayne Lundberg" >
wrote:
> Nixtamal without the tequeskite will never be as good as with that magical
> salt/soda rock from the Texcoco dry lake bed. I think you can order by
> email.
>
> Forty five dozen!!! You are a sucker for punishment!
>
> "chilichick" > wrote in message

> > We tested a batch of Chicken Chili Verde Tamales this weekend and
> > didn't like the masa we made. We usually buy it from the Mexicatessan
> > but thought we would try to make our own. Didn't work out I think/
> > felt it had too much lard in it. We followed the recipe... last year
> > we made 45 dozen. Hopefully more this year. We will make pork,
> > cheese and jalapeno and some sweet.
> > Tried to price it out, but for $1.05 lb it's cheaper to buy the masa
> > than to make it.
> > chilichick- Hide quoted text -

Hey Wayne,
yea, I love it... after the first couple of drinks, it's a piece of
cake.
Enjoy your holidays... I'm cooking for 6 parties all before Christmas
and working my regular day job. glad I have lots of vacation time to
work:)

kliserup 16-12-2007 04:00 PM

Masa for Tamales

Sonoran Dude > wrote in news:e9OdnSSPF-
:

> chilichick wrote:
>> We tested a batch of Chicken Chili Verde Tamales this weekend and
>> didn't like the masa we made. We usually buy it from the

Mexicatessan
>> but thought we would try to make our own. Didn't work out I think/
>> felt it had too much lard in it. We followed the recipe... last year
>> we made 45 dozen. Hopefully more this year. We will make pork,
>> cheese and jalapeno and some sweet.
>> Tried to price it out, but for $1.05 lb it's cheaper to buy the masa
>> than to make it.
>> chilichick
>>

> Great idea to buy pre-made Masa, I'll look for it this year.

http://mexicancooking.netrelief.com/...t_tamales_reci
pe.shtml

This site has an excellent recipe to make masa. I've made it many times
and it is very good. Usually I quadruple the recipe.

Rolly 16-12-2007 06:11 PM

Masa for Tamales

The link doesn't work. Try this one
http://mexicancooking.netrelief.com/...s_recipe.shtml

chilichick 18-12-2007 01:01 AM

Masa for Tamales

On Dec 16, 9:11 am, Rolly > wrote:
> The link doesn't work. Try this onehttp://mexicancooking.netrelief.com/tamales/how_to_make_hot_tamales_r...

Hey Rolly,
I checked it out and I like it...thanks. I'll try it out when I only
have to make a few dozen... On the last count on our list we are
making 50 dozen, not bad. I use a wallpaper spreader to spread the
masa on to the hoja, makes it alot faster. Once you get the hang of
it:)
thanks again,
chilichick